Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Bennett will test free agency

dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited March 2014 in NFL Talk
Ian Rapoport‏@RapSheet·43m
Seattle has made an offer to Michael Bennett, who has left it on the table to seek others. Will see if he returns. Oak, Chicago, others wait

He's probably gone, some shit organization will give him 10 million like Oakland or Cleveland, and the seahawks are best not to match that.

I think Tate will be in for a rude awakening when he sees what his market really is an will eventually return on a 4 year 20 million dollar deal.
I also think they'll get Jared Allen on a 1 year 5/6 million dollar deal (dude has his money, wants a championship).

They'll also give one or two of the Tony McDaniel type deals, which will include resigning McDonald. Breno is probably gone as well

I'm physched to see what they can do with a draft class that's this deep.

They'll lose a couple minor pieces but the LOB, Wilson, Lynch Avril, the LB core, and the bulk of the DL will be back.

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I think they'll get Browner back on the cheap too.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I think some team will pay Tate 5+ million a year for him. He is more than just a WR, he is an overall football player. Good punt returner and a really good blocker. He needs to fit a certain scheme though.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326

I think some team will pay Tate 5+ million a year for him. He is more than just a WR, he is an overall football player. Good punt returner and a really good blocker. He needs to fit a certain scheme though.

remember though tate said he'd give a small discout. If the seahawks will go 5 and the say jets go 5.5 he could be back.
    I agree we should bring him back.

When Bennett gets a 10+ million dollar offer he's gone 100%
    dhdawg said:

remember though tate said he'd give a small discout. If the seahawks will go 5 and the say jets go 5.5 he could be back.
    I agree we should bring him back.

When Bennett gets a 10+ million dollar offer he's gone 100%
    A "small discount" could mean anything. He was also put on the spot when asked that question because it was like a week (maybe less) after they had won the Super Bowl.

People are reading way too hard into that quote I think, Tate isn't someone who has made enough money in his career and is focused on championships down the stretch. He is going to go after his "set up for life" contract.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

Seattle has made an offer to Michael Bennett, who has left it on the table to seek others. Will see if he returns. Oak, Chicago, others wait

He's probably gone, some shit organization will give him 10 million like Oakland or Cleveland, and the seahawks are best not to match that.

I think Tate will be in for a rude awakening when he sees what his market really is an will eventually return on a 4 year 20 million dollar deal.
    I also think they'll get Jared Allen on a 1 year 5/6 million dollar deal (dude has his money, wants a championship).

They'll also give one or two of the Tony McDaniel type deals, which will include resigning McDonald. Breno is probably gone as well

They'll lose a couple minor pieces but the LOB, Wilson, Lynch Avril, the LB core, and the bulk of the DL will be back.

I could see Jared Allen, but we already have Avril and Clemons (if he's not cut) at DE. What made Bennett unique and such a great fit was he played inside on many passing downs. I would rather sign Justin Tuck (11 sacks last year, has played inside) to replace Bennett than sign Allen. In an ideal situation, we could cut Clemons, and sign Tuck and Allen to short deals. That's a Madden move though and would be tough to pull off in real life.

dhdawg said:

I could see Jared Allen, but we already have Avril and Clemons (if he's not cut) at DE. What made Bennett unique and such a great fit was he played inside on many passing downs. I would rather sign Justin Tuck (11 sacks last year, has played inside) to replace Bennett than sign Allen. In an ideal situation, we could cut Clemons, and sign Tuck and Allen to short deals. That's a Madden move though and would be tough to pull off in real life.

no to allen and tuck, I would rather resign Mcdonald and extend Avril. I would prefer Allen, but Tuck is fine too. Would be tough to pull off both though.

If Bennett comes back at under 9.5 that's the best case
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2014
    I agree Bennett's probably gone. Not so much because they can't afford him this year, but because he's going to want a four year deal and they can't afford him the next two or three years.

They can survive losing him, but it's going to hurt. Hopefully they can get Bryant or Clemons back for a year or two on a smaller deal. Clemons would be ideal, IMO. He was a monster in the Super Bowel, looks totally healed up. If the market dries up for him because of age/injury concern/lack of overall production last year he could be a steal and fill in most of the lost Bennett production himself.

Clinton McDaniel was extremely productive inside last year, too. I'd really like to see them get him back.

The Jared Allen idea is intriguing. Would love to see it happen. They could lose a ton of defensive lineman. The only notable guys they have signed for next year are Mebane and Avril, right? I feel like I'm forgetting somebody? Obviously they have the 2013 draftees as well, which no one really knows what they can do. Maybe Irvin slides back up to DE since they're obviously better with Smith at LB?
    Bennett isn't old but he also isn't super young. This is his last chance at a big contract, he is going to want as much money as possible. I think he will let the Seahawks try and match but if it is anything 10+ million he is as good as gone. That would make it super easy to re sign Tate and possible McDonald.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2014
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

no to allen and tuck, I would rather resign Mcdonald and extend Avril. I would prefer Allen, but Tuck is fine too. Would be tough to pull off both though.

Is Bennett actually worth the 9.5 though? If he plays like last year, then yes, but he had to settle for one year, 5 million, partly because of health concerns before last season. I love Bennett and know he was graded as one of the best DL's in the league last year by PFF, but it's a tough call.

Whatever the Seahawks do, DL is a pressing need and we need to make multiple moves. Bennett, McDonald, and McDaniel are free agents, Mebane is getting older, Bryant was cut, Avril may not be back after next year, the two rookie DT's were hurt most of last year, and Clemons is on borrowed time. Some young, cheap depth/replacements are needed, and I bet we draft at least 2 DL if not 3. I know they like Mayowa and kept him on the 53 man roster all of last year.

edited March 2014

dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

Is Bennett actually worth the 9.5 though? If he plays like last year, then yes, but he had to settle for one year, 5 million, partly because of health concerns before last season. I love Bennett and know he was graded as one of the best DL's in the league last year by PFF, but it's a tough call.

Whatever the Seahawks do, DL is a pressing need and we need to make multiple moves. Bennett, McDonald, and McDaniel are free agents, Mebane is getting older, Bryant was cut, Avril may not be back after next year, the two rookie DT's were hurt most of last year, and Clemons is on borrowed time. Some young, cheap depth/replacements are needed, and I bet we draft at least 2 DL if not 3. I know they like Mayowa and kept him on the 53 man roster all of last year.

remember the cap is rising at a huge rate the next few years, in a flat cap I'd say no. But you can backload the contract, I think he's worth it personally, 3 years 28 million?
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I first read "overall" as "overrated". I was going to give you an up vote for that.
    Mad_Son said:

I first read "overall" as "overrated". I was going to give you an up vote for that.
    Tate is a good player and works really well in the Seahawks offense. It wouldn't be a huge loss but I think people just look at his overall numbers and assume he is overrated. He is more than just a WR.
  • SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Bennett would be a loss but that was probably expected. He didn't re-sign yet only because he thinks some team is going to blow over $10 million a year on him. He's not worth that, so oh well. Jordan Hill looked pretty good last year and a healthy Clemons this year would be a large upgrade over what we got with him last year.