Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chuck Armstroong is leaving the Mariners...

sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
any chance he wants to take a spin at running a Major college athletic department?

Woody can't be sleeping well.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Fleenor knew this last week.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,150
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Armstrong has been with us a long time. He originally joined the franchise in 1983 as an Argyros — worst owner in Seattle pro sports history — underling. After Jeff Smuylan brought the franchise in 1990, Armstrong moved to the University of Washington as interim athletic director following Mike Lude’s forced removal, and then departed UW when it hired Barbara Hedges.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    But how was he a bad president?

With him gone now the Huskies could be the most incompetent ran team in Seattle.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

With him gone now the Huskies could be the most incompetent ran team in Seattle.

Disagree. Lincoln is still the ceo
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    dhdawg said:

Disagree. Lincoln is still the ceo
    maybe this frees up Lincoln to hire Woody?

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,462
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The fuck is a Mariners?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Reminds me of my storied t-ball career.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    edited November 2013
    I have it on good authority that one of the things that made Chuck retire was the passing of Don James. Really hit him hard and made him think about what he wanted to do with the rest of his life.

He was a good team president for twenty years and an awful one for the last ten.

Despite what people say, winning was his chief priority, but he lost that touch years ago and retired far too late.
  • Options
    uw2010 said:

PurpleJ said:

The fuck is a Mariners?

I *heart* Lawn Dart Ibanez
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I have it on good authority that one of the things that made Chuck retire was the passing of Don James. Really hit him hard and made him think about what he wanted to do with the rest of his life.

He was a good team president for twenty years and an awful one for the last ten.

Despite what people say, winning was his chief priority, but he lost that touch years ago and retired far too late.

Please tell me you're referencing something Skinny Jeans said and this isn't your own Chuckpology?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    edited November 2013
    Nope. He helped keep the team in Seattle. Brought in Gillick and Lou. Helped build Safeco. Oversaw the best period in Ms history. Should've called it quits around 04-05. Just saying his legacy is mixed.
  • Options

Nope. He helped keep the team in Seattle. Brought in Gillick and Lou. Helped build Safeco. Oversaw the best period in Ms history. Should've called it quits around 04-05. Just saying his legacy is mixed.

By the count in your poast above he was team presodent for 30 years. How many other periods were there? I would argue the last 10 years was the worst period in team history as they actually had resources and were still total dreckfest.

You're giving him a lot more credit for things like keeping the team around and hiring Lou than I remember him deserving. Weren't you like 4 when the team almost moved?
  • Options
    I grew up with the Ms. Dad was a season ticket holder from 1977 until 2004.

Armstrong was influential in keeping the team here.

"At the behest of then U.S. Senator Slade Gorton, Armstrong was recruited with a number of other business leaders to try to keep the Mariners in Seattle when Smulyan discussed relocating the club to Tampa Bay. Eventually, a group headed by Nintendo CEO Hiroshi Yamauchi purchased the Mariners in 1992, and Armstrong was, once again, brought in as president of the Mariners."

As President he oversaw the day to day operations so you have to give him credit for the 1995-2001 golden age of Mariner baseball.

Again, I'm not arguing the last ten years were good and Armstrong wasn't at all complicit for the failures of the franchise. He was. But his legacy is more than those recent failures.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fuck that guy then.
  • Options

I grew up with the Ms. Dad was a season ticket holder from 1977 until 2004.

"At the behest of then U.S. Senator Slade Gorton, Armstrong was recruited with a number of other business leaders to try to keep the Mariners in Seattle when Smulyan discussed relocating the club to Tampa Bay. Eventually, a group headed by Nintendo CEO Hiroshi Yamauchi purchased the Mariners in 1992, and Armstrong was, once again, brought in as president of the Mariners."

As President he oversaw the day to day operations so you have to give him credit for the 1995-2001 golden age of Mariner baseball.

Again, I'm not arguing the last ten years were good and Armstrong wasn't at all complicit for the failures of the franchise. He was. But his legacy is more than those recent failures.

I still don't see it.

So Armstrong was "one of" the business leaders that Senator Stud (as he was known back then) recruited? There was like 15 of them. Armstrong maybe gets partial credit, but he has to fall behind Gordon, Yamauchi, John Ellis and the McCaws in order of importance at the very least. He played a part but his part was hardly critical to the success or failure of the venture.

As for the on field stuff, all the most important pieces of those 95-98 teams were acquired before Armstrong came back on board: Junior, Randy, Edgar, and Buhner. Yeah, Armstrong was around for the ARod draft pick, but he wasn't involved in the draft, that was Woodward and Jongeward who went back and forth about whether to roll the dice with Alex.

I'll give him Gillick who gets most of the credit for 2001-2003.

IMO the damage of the past decade far outweighs any goodwill Armstrong ever accumulated.
  • Options
    CollegeDoog had reached Moog territory in this thread.