Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Has matmik chimed in yet?

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
While UW was winning it's last offseason national championship, matmik swore UO was better off with Kelly leaving. Said Helfrich was every bit the coach Kelly was and a better recruiter. Has be amended his thoughts on Helfrich yet?

Comments

• Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I still hold matmik in high regard for handing Kim his ass for 10 straight months.

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Here is the thing on all of our assistants that should really make a point. They were all there under Rich Brooks and the program was mediocre. They were all there under Bellotti and the program was good. They were all there under Chip and the program was Top 5. They are all still there under Slingblade and the program is good.

Assistants are only as good as the direction you point them in.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    I'm impressed, there are a lot of Ducks on Educk calling for Helf's head. Cheswick and Killiroy are Quooking it up harcore, but other than that, Ducks fans have united against Helf. It only took two losses. It feels great to have a fan base that cares about football.
  • Options

I'm impressed, there are a lot of Ducks on Educk calling for Helf's head. Cheswick and Killiroy are Quooking it up harcore, but other than that, Ducks fans have united against Helf. It only took two losses. It feels great to have a fan base that cares about football.

Give it a decade of being sucky or average and that will stop.

Doogs are excited now for Sark possibly going 8-4 yet when Lambo went 8-4 in 1997 we all wanted his ass fucking fired. Both were in year five.

Lambo to that point had won a share of a conference title and was 9-3 the year prior so if anything he should have had a longer leash than Sarkingham.

Your fans will be harsh on Helfrich and he won't kill you guys. Due to Kelly being so great you guys will fire Helfrich before he lets it bottom out like we did with Lambo.

Your next hire after Helfrich will determine if you free for all or not. If he is a dud then Quooks will romanticize about Helfrich and use revisionist history towards him like Doogs do with Lambo. They'll start saying "perhaps we were too hard on Helfrich and should give this loser more of a chance" like Doogs say with Loser X coach and quote Lambo.

Like I said for now your fans will hold him to standards but keep in mind so did we. Now look at us.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Give it a decade of being sucky or average and that will stop.

Doogs are excited now for Sark possibly going 8-4 yet when Lambo went 8-4 in 1997 we all wanted his ass fucking fired. Both were in year five.

Lambo to that point had won a share of a conference title and was 9-3 the year prior so if anything he should have had a longer leash than Sarkingham.

Your fans will be harsh on Helfrich and he won't kill you guys. Due to Kelly being so great you guys will fire Helfrich before he lets it bottom out like we did with Lambo.

Your next hire after Helfrich will determine if you free for all or not. If he is a dud then Quooks will romanticize about Helfrich and use revisionist history towards him like Doogs do with Lambo. They'll start saying "perhaps we were too hard on Helfrich and should give this loser more of a chance" like Doogs say with Loser X coach and quote Lambo.

Like I said for now your fans will hold him to standards but keep in mind so did we. Now look at us.
    Just like any other business, you need to be quick to hire and quick to fire. I think Peterson's phone needs to be buzzing!!! I would love for Hell Frich to get only one season. I wanted to give him a chance, I did, now I want to move on.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I took this quote by Helfrich as a warning sign: "Coaching at Oregon is the pinnacle for me." As much as it sucks to lose a great coach, I think we need a guy who may aspire to things beyond Oregon, like Kelly did, a guy that wants to coach at the next level and use Oregon as a stepping stone to that goal. It ensures he's giving it his all. Getting a guy like that is hard, because by definition he hasn't proven himself yet. And it's very risky. Probably the safest course of action is fire Helf after the end of the season and offer USC kind of money to land a big, proven name. Helf was a good OC but doesn't seem to be head coach material.
  • Options

I took this quote by Helfrich as a warning sign: "Coaching at Oregon is the pinnacle for me." As much as it sucks to lose a great coach, I think we need a guy who may aspire to things beyond Oregon, like Kelly did, a guy that wants to coach at the next level and use Oregon as a stepping stone to that goal. It ensures he's giving it his all. Getting a guy like that is hard, because by definition he hasn't proven himself yet. And it's very risky. Probably the safest course of action is fire Helf after the end of the season and offer USC kind of money to land a big, proven name. Helf was a good OC but doesn't seem to be head coach material.

You guys aren't firing Helfrich after this year. He gets two more years at least, barring a Muschamp next season.

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    TommySQC said:

I still hold matmik in high regard for handing Kim his ass for 10 straight months.

subtle point here, but d2d, aka texastony, aka chipocrit (aka gookinmontana), can't seem to at least agree that matmik handed kim his ass on Oregon sanctions.

could it be because d2d was the first browshirt on fagman to start "informing the masses" of what was to come?

in fact, this dumbfuck who has infested the board was the lead paper hanger telling everyone what happened and what was going to happen.

then this fist-loving faggot disappeared.

I am a pretty tolerant person (other than Asian people living in Montana - fucking bugs the shit out of me, and I don't even live in Montana) - but one thing I cannot stomach is a big mouth who can't come back and take his own medicine.

I am a big mouth, and I always come back for my medicine. It's the fucking game you idiot. If you don't come back for your medicine, you are worse than a fist-loving fag.
  • Options
    TommySQC said:

Credit where credit is due, for sure. I appreciated matmik's efforts, but let's be honest. Betting against Kim isn't exactly stepping out on a limb. I have zero sources and I accurately predicted exactly what would happen with their sanctions too. Matmik was just much more frequent than I was. Props for his tenacity.

That said, dude poasted that Helfrich was going to match Kelly's four straight BCS bowls to start his career and win the national championship Kelly couldn't. He also said Lyeria was going to be a first round pick.

Dude's a major quook. MAJOR.

• Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    dnc said:

TommySQC said:

Credit where credit is due, for sure. I appreciated matmik's efforts, but let's be honest. Betting against Kim isn't exactly stepping out on a limb. I have zero sources and I accurately predicted exactly what would happen with their sanctions too. Matmik was just much more frequent than I was. Props for his tenacity.

That said, dude poasted that Helfrich was going to match Kelly's four straight BCS bowls to start his career and win the national championship Kelly couldn't. He also said Lyeria was going to be a first round pick.

Lyerla was projected to be a first round pick, by pretty much everyone, going into the season.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    dnc said:

TommySQC said:

That said, dude poasted that Helfrich was going to match Kelly's four straight BCS bowls to start his career and win the national championship Kelly couldn't. He also said Lyeria was going to be a first round pick.Dude's a major quook. MAJOR.

Lyerla was well on his way to being a first round pick, or at least one of the top 3 draft picks at TE, until he decided pot and coke were more fun than showing up for football practice. Not sure that was predictable, even though some close to the situation figured it was always a possibility with that guy.
  • Options

dnc said:

TommySQC said:

Lyerla was projected to be a first round pick, by pretty much everyone, going into the season.
    Link?

He wasn't in Kiper's top 50, I know that. Doesn't mean he wasn't on a list here or there, but I don't remember him being anything close to a consensus first rounder.

• Options

dnc said:

TommySQC said:

That said, dude poasted that Helfrich was going to match Kelly's four straight BCS bowls to start his career and win the national championship Kelly couldn't. He also said Lyeria was going to be a first round pick.Dude's a major quook. MAJOR.

Lyerla was well on his way to being a first round pick, or at least one of the top 3 draft picks at TE, until he decided pot and coke were more fun than showing up for football practice. Not sure that was predictable, even though some close to the situation figured it was always a possibility with that guy.
    The discussion was in the context of ASJ's DUI and how that would effect his draft status. Matmik chimed in that Lyerla was better and would be a first round pick. When it was pointed out to him how much off the field risk Lyerla carried he blew it off as dooging.

Lyerla's a talented kid, no question. He was always a time bomb though.

Tick, tick, tick.

• Options
    death2ducksdeath2ducks Member Posts: 991
    5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1 5 Awesomes

There was a lot of Quooking in regards to Kelly leaving.

"Oh it won't be that big of a difference. Whole coaching staff but one guy is back. Helfrich is a local guy from here who actually likes recruiting unlike Chip plus he'll be loyal to us. Blah blah blah".

I remember when UW replaced a legend, kept the entire coaching staff minus him and promoted a local guy as well. UW regressed two games as well.

Lambo cared too much about wearing purple helmets, and not enough about details that mattered.
  • Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    dnc said:

dnc said:

TommySQC said:

Link?

He wasn't in Kiper's top 50, I know that. Doesn't mean he wasn't on a list here or there, but I don't remember him being anything close to a consensus first rounder.

I can't link from my phone but on Oct 24th Kiper said in a chat that he thought Lyerla could have been a second rounder.

Sports Illustrated had him going 27th in a May mock draft.

McShay had him as his 28th best prospect in August.

The last two are on the first round fringe, so it wasn't as concrete as I thought, but it certainly wasn't silly to call him a first rounder. The off the field stuff I don't know enough about. The kid likes to get high, I'm not going to hate on that. And I would have said Lyerla was better than ASJ before the season too.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    nfldraft.net had Lyerla as the #1 TD after week one. Obviously that has changed now, but him and ASJ were #1 and #2 on the lists I saw. I still think Lyerla will be the better NFL player if he can keep it together.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Where did McLovin have him?