Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Washington vs. Nebraska 1992

Comments

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Doogles said:

Squirt said:

dnc said:

This fucking game has to be the most reminisced about game in the history of CFB fanbases.

Maybe Oregon beating UW in '94

Really? I don't think it's even #1 for UW fans. I would say 91 Nebraska is more reminisced about.

Quite honestly I'd say this one is in the second tier along with All @GrandpaSankey Saw Was Purple, the 92 RB and the Whammy in CreepyCuog. Maybe a tad above Boomer Sooner.
    Fuck do we ever need a signature game in the Petermen era.
    My Top 5 'Signature Games':

1992 Rose Bowl
    1985 Orange Bowl
    1990 USC
    1991 Nebraska
    2016 Oregon

Honorable mention: 2000 Miami, 2001 Rose Bowl

I could add more from the 1970s Rose Bowls, but Don James already has four signature games in my top five.

The signature games of the Petersen era: ending Sark's career at USC and breaking the curse 70-21.

The thrashing of Oregon felt like a restoration of truth and justice, so it makes my top five.

Putting 1990 USC over breaking Miami's 54 game home winning streak just personifies the unmanly UW mancrush on USC that is just so unmanly. Jimminy Christmas you guys love those Trojans.

The 2000 Miami game is even bigger than 1990 USC. That 2000 Miami team went on to get their shit together and didn't lose again and presaged one of the GOAT teams the following year.

2016 Oregon??? You actually care about that? My Kewgs have beaten the current iteration of the Ducks 3 years running. Be better.
    Fuck I'm agreeing with Creep. The 2000 team is weird because it holds a place in what if Doog heaven.

The 2000 victories over Miami and Oregon State legitimize that team significantly. What Miami did the following year was legendary and Oregon State was the best team in the country after they ass raped ND in the Fiesta.

That was a huge win as far as perception of the program goes.
    Finally someone who gets it.
    edited July 2018
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

Squirt said:

dnc said:

This fucking game has to be the most reminisced about game in the history of CFB fanbases.

Really? I don't think it's even #1 for UW fans. I would say 91 Nebraska is more reminisced about.

Quite honestly I'd say this one is in the second tier along with All @GrandpaSankey Saw Was Purple, the 92 RB and the Whammy in CreepyCuog. Maybe a tad above Boomer Sooner.
    My Top 5 'Signature Games':

1992 Rose Bowl
    1985 Orange Bowl
    1990 USC
    1991 Nebraska
    2016 Oregon

Honorable mention: 2000 Miami, 2001 Rose Bowl

I could add more from the 1970s Rose Bowls, but Don James already has four signature games in my top five.

The signature games of the Petersen era: ending Sark's career at USC and breaking the curse 70-21.

The thrashing of Oregon felt like a restoration of truth and justice, so it makes my top five.

Putting 1990 USC over breaking Miami's 54 game home winning streak just personifies the unmanly UW mancrush on USC that is just so unmanly. Jimminy Christmas you guys love those Trojans.

The 2000 Miami game is even bigger than 1990 USC. That 2000 Miami team went on to get their shit together and didn't lose again and presaged one of the GOAT teams the following year.

2016 Oregon??? You actually care about that? My Kewgs have beaten the current iteration of the Ducks 3 years running. Be better.
    Fuck I'm agreeing with Creep. The 2000 team is weird because it holds a place in what if Doog heaven.

The 2000 victories over Miami and Oregon State legitimize that team significantly. What Miami did the following year was legendary and Oregon State was the best team in the country after they ass raped ND in the Fiesta.

Babushka became a legend according to the OSU AD
    I was there for the game with my dad. All kinds of weird shit fell in favor with uw that season. Alexis Serna, eventual Lou Groza winner shanked a gimmy. Without that Tui isn't a legend.

Serna also missed extra points at LSU, he's the reason a bullshit Pac program didn't upset an SEC contender.

Basically, the best kicker in college football missed every kick that actually mattered and was still rewarded.

Such is life.
    I was there too with my OSU MMA frens.

Just joking, I don’t have any friends. But I was there and it was the best game I’ve ever seen live. Played at a very high level. Bubushkas wrong footed one shoe throw was a thing of legend. But in the end Serna cost the Beavs a Natty that night. And from where I sat, I thought He made it live. Angles and shit. Great game in what may have been the greatest year for the PAC in the modern era. I’d love to see it on TV, but being it was in 2000, any stream is gonna look like it was underwater.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

You can minimize it all you want but 44-6 over Stanford, after years and years of being bullied by them, was in every definition a signature win. It leveled the program up, validated Petersen at UW, and funneled us to the P12 championship and a return to relevance. Fuck, we beat them so bad their still-warm corpse got assraped by WSU the following week. Stanford still won 10+ games. They were a good team.

edit: maybe you meant to say another signature win?
    No, I mean a National signature win against an elite big time OOC program. Say what you want about the Tree and how meaningful it was to us and the PAC but everyone else nationally gave fuck all about it. Doubly so because Stanford lost to the coog as well the next week which meant everyone could discount UW's win even if part of it was because we beat the shit out of them. The Tree is a GOOD program but they are not ELITE. Nevermind, that nobody watched it nationally anyways bc FS Larry Scott.

You'll get your chance against Auburn. That's your game. It's a must win for husky relevance. Win that game and have the balls to NOT start Brownsocks in 2018 and I'll admit Pete might just be a top 5 coach. Lose and it will be tough to convince coogs, quooks and the rest of the conference that Pete is as good as advertised.
    The don't start Browning stuff is fucking stupid.

Otherwise good post.
    Brownings entire career and my survival are dependent on this game. We can't lose this one. We need to win.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Squirt said:

Doogles said:

I see what you're saying. But for me:

1992 Rose Bowl: National Championship
    1985 Orange Bowl: National Championship (fuck off, BYU)
    1990 USC: Huskies were underdogs against the number-5 team in the country, and then destroyed them. It was a break-out game heralding a three-year run of competing for best in the country.
    1991 Nebraska: Key to the championship season.

I can't put any games from the 2000 season above those. Maybe above the 2016 signature games---Stanford and Oregon. But I put 2016 Oregon on top of the 2000 games. While those were incredible wins and make my top seven, the 2000 season was an aberration during a period of crushing mediocrity. The 2016 signature games bore more in common with those from 1990-91: big wins, and they marked an era, not just a single season, of greatness.

Still, I respect your reasoning and wouldn't criticize anyone making a different subjective conclusion about the 2000 games relative to 2016. I can also understand someone viewing 2016 Stanford as a bigger win than 2016 Oregon.

As for creep, GTFO, especially with that 1994 Miami shit. That was a fun game, but the Huskies were 7-4 that year and just starting the mediocre Lambright era. The game had no bigger meaning than the game itself. Maybe it was fun to spoil Miami's winning streak, but big whoop. Dawgs aspire to be champions, not spoilers. Maybe as a coog you don't understand that.
    Cute.

Reed Stronger: the sub-thread is "signature wins" brotus. If you don't think beating Miami in the Orange Bowl and breaking the longest home winning streak is a signature win, then, sure, ok. I will tell you that among the legion of Husky fans in my life, and there are many, you are in a class of one. I don't know a single hairy husky who doesn't put the Whammy up in at least in the top 5, and many put it at #1 or #2. Same with the Orange Bowl; the fact that it didn't translate to a national championship is highly irrelevant.

Jesus, half this bored is claiming the "All I saw ... " gayme against a 4-loss SC team led by a pot-head weirdo that couldn't win the fucking Sun Bowl against Michigan State. So spare me the "champions only" shit talk Mr. 1/2 title.

But your poast had some really neat tuff talk. I'll give you that.

As for your gratuitous insult of my Kewg roots, I say to you, on behalf of my main broh @salemcoog and all of Cuog Nation, you are cordially invited to meat me and Salem at the 7-11 parking lot - the one on Aurora near the U district - to discuss this matter further.

salemcoog said:

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

You can minimize it all you want but 44-6 over Stanford, after years and years of being bullied by them, was in every definition a signature win. It leveled the program up, validated Petersen at UW, and funneled us to the P12 championship and a return to relevance. Fuck, we beat them so bad their still-warm corpse got assraped by WSU the following week. Stanford still won 10+ games. They were a good team.

Nope. Coug further exposed them by winning by 4 TDs down on the farm a weak later. Try again.
    CUOG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

No, I mean a National signature win against an elite big time OOC program. Say what you want about the Tree and how meaningful it was to us and the PAC but everyone else nationally gave fuck all about it. Doubly so because Stanford lost to the coog as well the next week which meant everyone could discount UW's win even if part of it was because we beat the shit out of them. The Tree is a GOOD program but they are not ELITE. Nevermind, that nobody watched it nationally anyways bc FS Larry Scott.

Sorry not sorry but there's no fucking way I'm going to remember the Stanford ass raping the way I remember something like All I saw was Purple, the Whammy in Miami, Tui's Rose Bowl, or even watching my dad's VHS copy of the Sooner Schooner. Those games are a part of the mythos of this school and program and even more largely, college football itself. The Tree game is never going to have an ESPN 30 for 30 produced about it.

1. Slight goalpost move on your part but I agree with national OOC win being desperately needed. Big time.
    2. "Say what you want about the Tree and how meaningful it was to us and the PAC but everyone else nationally gave fuck all about it." This just isn't true
    3. OK!
    1. I didn't define signature so goalposts *shrug. Had we beat SC either of the last two years I'd have taken it as signature as well. They would have counted as close enough to Elite. The only reason it's our "signature" win is because we haven't had anything better to hang our hat on.
    2. No one outside of the Pac cares. It's not completely our? Fault. It's also the conference's but that is what it is. We've had wins that were circle your calendar across the nation type games.
    3. Lmk when they make the 30 for 30 Raping of the Tree! I'll circle it on my calendar.

The point stands, a game like Auburn, a Pac championship against a good SC, or a NY6 win against a good P5 opponent would drastically help the program and help define the era.
    Exactly. It's fucking Stanford dude. If your signature win is ever against Stanford, your program is boring.

We're not talking "signature" win by the current coach to date. That's different. That's analyzing the very current state of the program.

"Signature Wins" mean, to me, all-time significant wins that the program will always point to.

2016 against Stanford is just beating a good team and proof that you have a good coach. Nobody will talk about it in five-year's time. They're barely talking about it now.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

Sorry not sorry but there's no fucking way I'm going to remember the Stanford ass raping the way I remember something like All I saw was Purple, the Whammy in Miami, Tui's Rose Bowl, or even watching my dad's VHS copy of the Sooner Schooner. Those games are a part of the mythos of this school and program and even more largely, college football itself. The Tree game is never going to have an ESPN 30 for 30 produced about it.

1. Slight goalpost move on your part but I agree with national OOC win being desperately needed. Big time.
    2. "Say what you want about the Tree and how meaningful it was to us and the PAC but everyone else nationally gave fuck all about it." This just isn't true
    3. OK!
    1. I didn't define signature so goalposts *shrug. Had we beat SC either of the last two years I'd have taken it as signature as well. They would have counted as close enough to Elite. The only reason it's our "signature" win is because we haven't had anything better to hang our hat on.
    2. No one outside of the Pac cares. It's not completely our? Fault. It's also the conference's but that is what it is. We've had wins that were circle your calendar across the nation type games.
    3. Lmk when they make the 30 for 30 Raping of the Tree! I'll circle it on my calendar.

The point stands, a game like Auburn, a Pac championship against a good SC, or a NY6 win against a good P5 opponent would drastically help the program and help define the era.
    Exactly. It's fucking Stanford dude. If your signature win is ever against Stanford, your program is boring.

We're not talking "signature" win by the current coach to date. That's different. That's analyzing the very current state of the program.

"Signature Wins" mean, to me, all-time significant wins that the program will always point to.

2016 against Stanford is just beating a good team and proof that you have a good coach. Nobody will talk about it in five-year's time. They're barely talking about it now.
    UW beat a loaded Miami team that was probably the greatest team ever in college football
  • SyphilisButterSyphilisButter Member Posts: 221
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 2018
    salemcoog said:

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

Nope. Coug further exposed them by winning by 4 TDs down on the farm a weak later. Try again.
    "Fuck, we beat them so bad their still-warm corpse got assraped by WSU the following week. Stanford still won 10+ games. They were a good team."

I find it amusing a coog of all people posted that. Is there anything more coog than slandering their own team if it makes UW look worse? When cliches go on hyperdrive mode..

salemcoog said:

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

"Fuck, we beat them so bad their still-warm corpse got assraped by WSU the following week. Stanford still won 10+ games. They were a good team."

I find it amusing a coog of all people posted that. Is there anything more coog than slandering their own team if it makes UW look worse? When cliches go on hyperdrive mode..
    Then by all means, be here to beat your chest over a conference win over Stanford at home.

Sad.
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

Then by all means, be here to beat your chest over a conference win over Stanford at home.

Sad.
    Sad, really.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

3. OK!

It was a YUGE chincremental progress win and was the first major sign that Pete is the guy. Pac 12 title cemented this. Now on to bigger and better things.
  • SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    Doogles said:

Say what you want about the Tree and how meaningful it was to us and the PAC but everyone else nationally gave fuck all about it.

There is evidence that contradicts your argument. Consider:

1. Long-dormant Washington throttled Stanford and put college football on notice (Washington Post)

2. The game was the national Friday game on ESPN.

3. Highlights were on repeat on SportsCenter that night, with Scott Van Pelt introducing his interview with Coach Pete by saying, "The Washington Huskies changed the conversation with what they just did."

Squirt said:

Doogles said:

Say what you want about the Tree and how meaningful it was to us and the PAC but everyone else nationally gave fuck all about it.

1. Long-dormant Washington throttled Stanford and put college football on notice (Washington Post)

3. Highlights were on repeat on SportsCenter that night, with Scott Van Pelt introducing his interview with Coach Pete by saying, "The Washington Huskies changed the conversation with what they just did."

Ok! Stanford 2016 was your signature win! Congratulations. You've been working really hard.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Squirt said:

Doogles said:

Yup. There are myriad non west coast sources corroborating this. Also, you know, the fact that the team did actually go on to win the P12. Not worth getting into with the short bus crowd. Someone shield me from the autism explosion from creep. I can feel it coming. Help.

Squirt said:

Doogles said:

Ok! Stanford 2016 was your signature win! Congratulations. You've been working really hard.
    Don't be mad that not a single Apple Cup counts as a signature win for the UW, but it's WSU's biggest game every year.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,261
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Squirt said:

Doogles said:

I mean it comes down to the identity crisis that shitty UW marketing has created.

Are we an ivy league Stanford elitist style school that thinks we're better than everyone at "Doing the right thing"?

Are we a USC/ Oregon "win at all costs as we trip over our own dick" school?

I mean we have a serious problem here. An alcoholic salesman like me could clean up the department in a month.

You play to win the game, have the balls to do so.

Have we discussed the UWAD's "Leave Your Mark" campaign yet? Goodness. At least the football department hasn't disseminated this stuff (yet).

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Squirt said:

Squirt said:

Doogles said:

Don't be mad that not a single Apple Cup counts as a signature win for the UW, but it's WSU's biggest game every year.
    How mad?

Squirt said:

I see what you're saying. But for me:

1992 Rose Bowl: National Championship
    1985 Orange Bowl: National Championship (fuck off, BYU)
    1990 USC: Huskies were underdogs against the number-5 team in the country, and then destroyed them. It was a break-out game heralding a three-year run of competing for best in the country.
    1991 Nebraska: Key to the championship season.

I can't put any games from the 2000 season above those. Maybe above the 2016 signature games---Stanford and Oregon. But I put 2016 Oregon on top of the 2000 games. While those were incredible wins and make my top seven, the 2000 season was an aberration during a period of crushing mediocrity. The 2016 signature games bore more in common with those from 1990-91: big wins, and they marked an era, not just a single season, of greatness.

Still, I respect your reasoning and wouldn't criticize anyone making a different subjective conclusion about the 2000 games relative to 2016. I can also understand someone viewing 2016 Stanford as a bigger win than 2016 Oregon.

As for creep, GTFO, especially with that 1994 Miami shit. That was a fun game, but the Huskies were 7-4 that year and just starting the mediocre Lambright era. The game had no bigger meaning than the game itself. Maybe it was fun to spoil Miami's winning streak, but big whoop. Dawgs aspire to be champions, not spoilers. Maybe as a coog you don't understand that.

Cute.

Reed Stronger: the sub-thread is "signature wins" brotus. If you don't think beating Miami in the Orange Bowl and breaking the longest home winning streak is a signature win, then, sure, ok. I will tell you that among the legion of Husky fans in my life, and there are many, you are in a class of one. I don't know a single hairy husky who doesn't put the Whammy up in at least in the top 5, and many put it at #1 or #2. Same with the Orange Bowl; the fact that it didn't translate to a national championship is highly irrelevant.

Jesus, half this bored is claiming the "All I saw ... " gayme against a 4-loss SC team led by a pot-head weirdo that couldn't win the fucking Sun Bowl against Michigan State. So spare me the "champions only" shit talk Mr. 1/2 title.

But your poast had some really neat tuff talk. I'll give you that.

As for your gratuitous insult of my Kewg roots, I say to you, on behalf of my main broh @salemcoog and all of Cuog Nation, you are cordially invited to meat me and Salem at the 7-11 parking lot - the one on Aurora near the U district - to discuss this matter further.

Your point was that the 1994 Miami game was a bigger win than 1990 USC and that it is ridiculous to believe otherwise. That's the point I disagree with strongly; I'm not arguing that 1994 Miami wasn't a big win. It just doesn't belong my personal Top 5 signature wins of UW history, nor in the honorable mentions.

You want to disagree, that's fine, but you're being a dumb-ass coog about it. Most Cuogs I know have great senses of humor and are fun to talk to. And then there's you in this thread.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

dnc said:

You'll get your chance against Auburn. That's your game. It's a must win for husky relevance. Win that game and have the balls to NOT start Brownsocks in 2018 and I'll admit Pete might just be a top 5 coach. Lose and it will be tough to convince coogs, quooks and the rest of the conference that Pete is as good as advertised.
    Sounds like you’re going to need to see a championship.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Disappointed in you losers. Not really. I like to see the lowered husky standards becoming the norm. Nick Saban pulled his starting QB in the championship game. That was a big time, top 5 coach move. And everyone here is on Brownsocks train with Pete, acting like the second part of what I said, benching Brownsocks, would be a bad thing. Hilarious.