Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The Russians

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
Remember Patton's words:

"The Third Army alone, and with damn few casualties, could lick what is left of the Russians in six weeks. You mark my words. Don't ever forget them. Someday we will have to fight them, and it will take six years and cost 6 million lives."

He also thought them to be less European, and more Asiatic, and therefore offered that the Russian "thinks deviously."

My personal favorite:

"I have no particular desire to understand them, except to ascertain how much lead or iron it takes to kill them."

As an ethnic German, why does Trump love the Russians so much? Doesn't he believe Patton?

Comments

• Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Remember Patton's words:

"The Third Army alone, and with damn few casualties, could lick what is left of the Russians in six weeks. You mark my words. Don't ever forget them. Someday we will have to fight them, and it will take six years and cost 6 million lives."

He also thought them to be less European, and more Asiatic, and therefore offered that the Russian "thinks deviously."

My personal favorite:

"I have no particular desire to understand them, except to ascertain how much lead or iron it takes to kill them."

As an ethnic German, why does Trump love the Russians so much? Doesn't he believe Patton?

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"
    We've all played Risk. It's impossible to hold Asia. You're everyone's card trade.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Mosster47 said:

Remember Patton's words:

My personal favorite:

You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"
    We've all played Risk. It's impossible to hold Asia. You're everyone's card trade.
    Australia is the key to the game.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I once said on this board that I wasn’t scared of Russia and I stand by that. I ain’t fucking scared of Russia. But that does not mean they won’t try us.

Read a history book, men like Putin all want the same thing. It’s not to be buddy buddy with a greater country. It’s not to be BFFs with a reality tv star. He wants to be in those history books. If you think sitting down with Trump changed that then you’re delusional.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,374
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No racist crap
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Everyone tries us. Top DAWGS get that treatment

You still have to play the game
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Douglas MacArthur wanted to nuke multiple cities in China. And now here we are.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    At bottom of Kremlin's neurotic view of world affairs is traditional and instinctive Russian sense of insecurity. Originally, this was insecurity of a peaceful agricultural people trying to live on vast exposed plain in neighborhood of fierce nomadic peoples. To this was added, as Russia came into contact with economically advanced West, fear of more competent, more powerful, more highly organized societies in that area. But this latter type of insecurity was one which afflicted rather Russian rulers than Russian people; for Russian rulers have invariably sensed that their rule was relatively archaic in form fragile and artificial in its psychological foundation, unable to stand comparison or contact with political systems of Western countries. For this reason they have always feared foreign penetration, feared direct contact between Western world and their own, feared what would happen if Russians learned truth about world without or if foreigners learned truth about world within. And they have learned to seek security only in patient but deadly struggle for total destruction of rival power, never in compacts and compromises with it. - George Kennan, 1946
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Everyone tries us. Top DAWGS get that treatment

You still have to play the game

This is sellable. The idea of Trump being the one to masterfully play this game is laughable but it’s a whole lot better than “what a great meeting!”
    Swaye's Wigwam

At bottom of Kremlin's neurotic view of world affairs is traditional and instinctive Russian sense of insecurity. Originally, this was insecurity of a peaceful agricultural people trying to live on vast exposed plain in neighborhood of fierce nomadic peoples. To this was added, as Russia came into contact with economically advanced West, fear of more competent, more powerful, more highly organized societies in that area. But this latter type of insecurity was one which afflicted rather Russian rulers than Russian people; for Russian rulers have invariably sensed that their rule was relatively archaic in form fragile and artificial in its psychological foundation, unable to stand comparison or contact with political systems of Western countries. For this reason they have always feared foreign penetration, feared direct contact between Western world and their own, feared what would happen if Russians learned truth about world without or if foreigners learned truth about world within. And they have learned to seek security only in patient but deadly struggle for total destruction of rival power, never in compacts and compromises with it. - George Kennan, 1946

Sounds like Cuogs to me.

Or Quooks. The Ruskies have always had an inferiority complex vis-a-vis the traditional great powers.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,374
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Sounds like Cuogs to me.

Or Quooks. The Ruskies have always had an inferiority complex vis-a-vis the traditional great powers.
    Trump really respects us man.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Sounds like Cuogs to me.

Washington isn't a great power, first off.

Second, I've always wondered how the world would have reacted if the Germans and the Japanese just decided to go after Russia first and left everyone else alone.

I get the feeling the rest of the planet would have given a collective "meh" while it unfolded.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mosster47 said:

Sounds like Cuogs to me.

Second, I've always wondered how the world would have reacted if the Germans and the Japanese just decided to go after Russia first and left everyone else alone.

I get the feeling the rest of the planet would have given a collective "meh" while it unfolded.
    We are the 2nd greatest power in the West and USC really respects us more than Oregon or UCLA.

Second, yes, this is a very interesting counterfactual. People forget that the Russians and Japanese did fight a tuff little war in 1939 before the European war got under way and the Russians won (pay back for 1905 I reckon). Obviously to get to Russia, Germany had to conquer Poland first and we know that when they did this French and British declared war, but then proceeded to do nothing but sit behind the Maginot Line. Would they have decided to attack Nazi Germany at some point if Hitler had never decided to invade the West? Who knows?

I can't imagine that in the event both Japan and Germany invaded the USSR in 1941 Roosevelt would have cut off Japan's supply of US oil. We might very well have gone "meh".
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Mosster47 said:

Sounds like Cuogs to me.

Gone meh? We? probably would have supported it, at least covertly. The red scare/Cold War wasn't in full effect by any means but there was no love in the west for Soviet Russia. We? would have gladly accelerated their collapse.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Sounds like Cuogs to me.

Gone meh? We? probably would have supported it, at least covertly. The red scare/Cold War wasn't in full effect by any means but there was no love in the west for Soviet Russia. We? would have gladly accelerated their collapse.
    Conflict in the Pacific against an expansionist, imperial Japan was still probably chinevitable.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Someone should have clued Teddy and the democrats into all this keen insight on Russia

This isn't news to most of us. Welcome aboard to the rest

Don't go all @BearsWiin on me Race. Humor is good for arthritis.

PS: Why do you hAtE PatToN?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Sounds like Cuogs to me.

Conflict in the Pacific against an expansionist, imperial Japan was still probably chinevitable.
    Oh definitely, just saying we? would have gladly sacrificed the Soviets before said chinevitable conflict if we could have.

Just think, we? could have dropped the Richland Bombers on Chernobyl.

What a hypothetical world.