Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Please convince me our passing game won't be a total shit show in 2018

I hate our midget WRs. The only TE to get excited about is apparently out for the season. Underclassmen WRs rarely play because the playbook is too complicated or something?

Too many people are too optimistic on the offense this year.

Comments

• Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    pgos will be here to the rescue
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    AIRWOLF said:

BaldwinIV said:

I hate our midget WRs. The only TE to get excited about is apparently out for the season. Underclassmen WRs rarely play because the playbook is too complicated or something?

Here is the argument:

Hamdan knows Browning is limited as a QB and he also knows what he has in Gaskin and Ahmed. With a veteran OL, he leans on the running game heavily and it is very formidable, which allows him to put Browning in great situations to be successful passing the ball (off play action, against favorable defenses, etc.) and helps keep the UW out of third and long. Fuller takes a big step forward, Jones is familiar enough with the offense to be a reliable #2 target and one of the freshmen, either true or RS, steps up in a big way. McClutchins is healthy and makes some big plays here and there. None of the healthy TEs are as dynamic as Bryant, but they are all capable pass catchers who can sit down in a zone or occasionally split coverage on a seam route. Gaskin and Ahmed are also used liberally as pass catchers. Browning takes fewer sacks because the OL is better and because Hamdan uses a shock collar to teach him not to hold onto the ball for 8 seconds.

All told, the passing offense is actually better than it was last season, but still well short of where it was in 2016.

(I don't really believe it will play out this way, but this is the argument)
    load the box with 8 guys, dare Browning to beat you
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,194
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AIRWOLF said:

BaldwinIV said:

Here is the argument:

Hamdan knows Browning is limited as a QB and he also knows what he has in Gaskin and Ahmed. With a veteran OL, he leans on the running game heavily and it is very formidable, which allows him to put Browning in great situations to be successful passing the ball (off play action, against favorable defenses, etc.) and helps keep the UW out of third and long. Fuller takes a big step forward, Jones is familiar enough with the offense to be a reliable #2 target and one of the freshmen, either true or RS, steps up in a big way. McClutchins is healthy and makes some big plays here and there. None of the healthy TEs are as dynamic as Bryant, but they are all capable pass catchers who can sit down in a zone or occasionally split coverage on a seam route. Gaskin and Ahmed are also used liberally as pass catchers. Browning takes fewer sacks because the OL is better and because Hamdan uses a shock collar to teach him not to hold onto the ball for 8 seconds.

All told, the passing offense is actually better than it was last season, but still well short of where it was in 2016.

No more spin maneuvers please. Just throw it away. I don't want to see Jake Browning risk getting hurt trying to make a play.
  • Options
    HorrifyinglyAlluringHorrifyinglyAlluring Member Posts: 102
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    rewatching 2017 games pettis was better than all other WR combined. he made so many plays in so many games. the rest were so JAGish
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    BaldwinIV said:

Wait Hunter Bryant is out for the season? Did I miss something?
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

BaldwinIV said:

No
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

BaldwinIV said:

Yes
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

AIRWOLF said:

BaldwinIV said:

Here is the argument:

• Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,042
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    BaldwinIV said:

Um..erm...Darron Thomas and Jeff Maehl "led" the most explosive offense in CFB for 3 years because they had what's called an "offensive line" and "the best running back in CFB" and "not a dumb fuck for an offensive coordinator anymore".

HTH
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    BaldwinIV said:

Drew Sample, Cade Otton, and blocking train Jacob Kizer asked me to deliver a message to you:

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

AIRWOLF said:

BaldwinIV said:

Here is the argument:

We wanted Bama. People forget that.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

BaldwinIV said:

Drew Sample, Cade Otton, and blocking train Jacob Kizer asked me to deliver a message to you:

Fucking this. Wte ftw
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

AIRWOLF said:

BaldwinIV said:

Here is the argument:

That would be a favorable defensive alignment to pass against, assuming somebody can get open.

Big assumption, but he asked for the argument.