Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

QPOTD

124»

Comments

• Options
    HorrifyinglyAlluringHorrifyinglyAlluring Member Posts: 102
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper First Comment
    what did i say that was wrong though?

won a rose, played for natty, went 37-16. he doesn't get credit for VAJ balling out but gets blamed if VAJ is injured? i mean yes he was trending down but was 2016 a weird outlier or no? and fine, oregon wants chip-level success so they fire him and hire.....taggart? then fucking cristobal? not exactly win-at-all-costs levels of hiring, plus phil is still alive and they can outbid anyone for any coach.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

won a rose, played for natty, went 37-16. he doesn't get credit for VAJ balling out but gets blamed if VAJ is injured? i mean yes he was trending down but was 2016 a weird outlier or no? and fine, oregon wants chip-level success so they fire him and hire.....taggart? then fucking cristobal? not exactly win-at-all-costs levels of hiring, plus phil is still alive and they can outbid anyone for any coach.

Larry Coker
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    even larry couldn't fuck up those U teams he had his first 2 (3?) years

2002 is the greatest robbery in CFB history

worse than the bush push game imo
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hardly. 2000 is the greatest robbery in CFB history. We beat Miami, who beat Florida St who got to play OU for the NT.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

So Oregon lucked into the only elite coach they've ever had in Chip Kelly and after having great success he leaves for the NFL. No elite coach wanted the job after Chip (including Chris Petersen) so they had to hire Helfrich. Then Helfrich tanked the program and got fired and still no elite coach wanted the job. They made a run at Chip again and he said no and then they were told no by Herman in favor of Texas and then told no by Matt Rhule in favor of fucking Baylor. So they had to go down their candidate list and settled with Taggart. Then they got one and doned by Taggart (Lol) and again no elite coach was interested in the job. So then they had to hire some nobody assistant coach as their head coach to desperately salvage a recruiting class.

Meanwhile UW has Chris Petersen.

So how retarded do you have to be to rank the Oregon job ahead of the UW job? Even with their facilities and Nike money they can't land an elite head coach and never have (Chip was a complete nobody OC from New Hampshire before arriving at Oregon).

They were also spurned by the Fleck for the gOphers head job.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

. Every time I see it it makes me think of a pre-teen talking tough from his mom's basement.
  • Options

Hardly. 2000 is the greatest robbery in CFB history. We beat Miami, who beat Florida St who got to play OU for the NT.
    Different kind of robbery rowboat.
  • Options

point being, Helfrich was a decent coordinator taking over a pretty solid machine. those guys can ride momentum for a while, but eventually you have to fire up the engine again, and most can't. he couldn't.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Different kind of robbery rowboat.
    True.
  • Options

point being, Helfrich was a decent coordinator taking over a pretty solid machine. those guys can ride momentum for a while, but eventually you have to fire up the engine again, and most can't. he couldn't.

yeah i understand your point i'm just not completely convinced he was that terrible. if we acknowledge that with VAJ healthy he makes playoffs in 2015, 2016 is rebuild as he gets his hand-picked diamond in the rough QB that solely he found in Herbert, then 2017 they are back at it again. he also found studs like dye and a few others i'm forgetting

1 bad season and BOOM. so much for loyalty at a program that was built on continuity. now they are every tier 2 tryhard program. unremarkable.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

We'd have to do a little research project, but I suspect the evidence supports your hypothesis. Helfrich, Lambo, Uncle Fester, to name a few.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,180
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

You're assuming that they didn't try and throw some money at some big time corches. Doesn't mean anyone had any interest anyways. Even Chip took the UCLA job instead.

Just because you are the highest paying employer doesn't mean the best people want to work for you.
  • Options
    chip went to ucla before taggart LOLd out of town

that was a year later too

not relevant
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2018

You're assuming that they didn't try and throw some money at some big time corches. Doesn't mean anyone had any interest anyways. Even Chip took the UCLA job instead.

Just because you are the highest paying employer doesn't mean the best people want to work for you.
    Because there were a lot of big time coaches available at the time? Enjoy Petersen. He's so good no else is even trying to steal him. Maybe they know something doogs don't? I'd rather roll the dice with Cristobal for a year or two than take Pete, make the playoffs once, get our asses totally kicked, then peter out for 4 or 5 years before getting fired.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

Not trolling, Mark took a ready made winner and kept it above water for three years. He was completely hands off with the strength program and it got so bad by the time they fired him our young lineman were struggling to bench 225lbs, once. He also didn't want anything to do with the defense and special teams was used as his lab experiment (see the Nebraska game in Lincoln).

He could have easily done a good job in Eugene, but he just wasn't a head coach. I've said it before and I was 100% serious that 70-21 was the best thing to happen to Oregon since Chip left. The Ducks blew the biggest lead in history in that Alamo Bowl, get ass raped by UW, and lose to about the shittiest Beaver team ever. Also, the long tenured assistants didn't respect him or take him seriously and that's a cancer in itself.

Fast forward to now and the Ducks are on the same S&C program every middle school up to the SEC runs in the south (it's fucking weird, literally everyone does the exact same thing), recruiting is at a level it has never been before, and they have the highest paid coaching staff west of the Rockies.

Cristobal might end up being terrible, but I feel way more confident about the program's future today than I did at the end of 2015 when everyone could see the wheels were falling off.

Helfrich is back to holding Chip's clip board which is where he shines.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,803
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mosster47 said:

Not trolling, Mark took a ready made winner and kept it above water for three years. He was completely hands off with the strength program and it got so bad by the time they fired him our young lineman were struggling to bench 225lbs, once. He also didn't want anything to do with the defense and special teams was used as his lab experiment (see the Nebraska game in Lincoln).

He could have easily done a good job in Eugene, but he just wasn't a head coach. I've said it before and I was 100% serious that 70-21 was the best thing to happen to Oregon since Chip left. The Ducks blew the biggest lead in history in that Alamo Bowl, get ass raped by UW, and lose to about the shittiest Beaver team ever. Also, the long tenured assistants didn't respect him or take him seriously and that's a cancer in itself.

Fast forward to now and the Ducks are on the same S&C program every middle school up to the SEC runs in the south (it's fucking weird, literally everyone does the exact same thing), recruiting is at a level it has never been before, and they have the highest paid coaching staff west of the Rockies.

Cristobal might end up being terrible, but I feel way more confident about the program's future today than I did at the end of 2015 when everyone could see the wheels were falling off.

Helfrich is back to holding Chip's clip board which is where he shines.
    So Mustache Man runs a middle school S&C program and you're grossly overpaying for a coach selected by a player petition. Got it.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    Googles for a refreshing summer cocktail to mix before reading the hot takes on this thread.

Finds it.

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

And OS would have beaten them all in a playoff.