Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I have figured out a part of Coach Pete's recruiting strategy

Offers fall into 3 buckets

1) Offers to prospects we are serious about and pour our resources into.
Ex: Kaho, Irvin, Davis x2, Charbonnet, etc

2) Out of region offers to prospects who show some semblance of interest. We are hoping an offer can convince them to visit.
Ex: Theo Wease, Ndoma-Ogar, Marcus Hicks, etc.

3) Offers to prospects who the recruiting services love but we have zero intentions of ever taking a commitment from. We appear to show serious interest in them but it's all for show so Oregon goes hard after them and fills their classes with JAGs.
Ex: Dollars, Cridell, Delgado, McKinley, Jaramillo, etc.

Pete is playing 3D chess and Cristobal doesn't even realize it.

You can either agree with me, or be wrong.

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I like #3 but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

• Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    I’d add a 4th bucket for “guys who are definitely going to commit to UW if they get offered.”

Guys like Tuputala, Kirkland, Tryon, Liu, etc.
  • Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    NEsnake12 said:

I’d add a 4th bucket for “guys who are definitely going to commit to UW if they get offered.”

Guys like Tuputala, Kirkland, Tryon, Liu, etc.

Good point. I should have had that in there as well.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    DPOTD!

Would have been DPOTW not too long ago. The aids is spreading
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    AZDuck said:

DPOTD!

Would have been DPOTW not too long ago. The aids is spreading

You sound scared. Cristobal taking yet another recruit that UW turned down has left you shaken. Best to walk away from the keyboard to get some perspective.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,897
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

2) Out of region offers to prospects who show some semblance of interest. We are hoping an offer can convince them to visit.

3) Offers to prospects who the recruiting services love but we have zero intentions of ever taking a commitment from. We appear to show serious interest in them but it's all for show so Oregon goes hard after them and fills their classes with JAGs.

Cridell isn't in that third bucket, we legit wanted him.

I can sort of get down with the rest of this.
    They wanted Cridell early on. They cooled on him a ways before he made his commitment.
  • Options
    ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664
    Ways to win this recruiting cycle:

1. Darien Chase
    2. Joseph Ngata
    3. Force Sav’ell to transfer

If anyone has any good ideas on how to make 3 happen (nothing illegal for any outside readers,) then discuss! Otherwise, Jake Browning GOAT until the qb who will have the pleasure of throwing to Ngata, Spiker, Osborne, Culp, and RS healthy Bryant!
  • Options
    DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

• Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

They wanted Cridell early on. They cooled on him a ways before he made his commitment.
    I disagree... I think Cridell was the one guy Oregon landed who UW legit wanted. Jimmy Lake’s “do you want to be recruited or developed?” tweet coincided with Cridell falling for Oregon
    I'm not 100% sure on Cridell. Lake sent that tweet out, but then Cridell also sent a tweet out that said something to the effect of "You're going to regret not making me a priority" which people thought was aimed at UW.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,185
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2018

Snake oil in mass quantities being sold on Twitter by the doog man boys this morning (and I purchased it).

We break down this weekends visitors in the blog! Just kidding, I didn't talk to a single one of them lmao 10.95 please.

DOOMED.GIF

Deserves own thread imo.
  • Options
    GaryFromTeenMomGaryFromTeenMom Member Posts: 1,370
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Snake oil in mass quantities being sold on Twitter by the doog man boys this morning (and I purchased it).

We break down this weekends visitors in the blog! Just kidding, I didn't talk to a single one of them lmao 10.95 please.

DOOMED.GIF

Deserves own thread imo.
    I thought about it. I am a failure but we already all knew that.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited June 2018

DOOMED.GIF

I'm not saying they're on the commit watch list but they are close to being there.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,185
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pete’s strategy:

1) Hire guys who can’t recruit.
    2) Tell everyone you have your own special way of recruiting (even though you offer pretty much the same players everyone else does).
    3) Get PGOS on board with this line of thinking.
    4) Slowly remove all non-recruiting coaches because you notice you are getting killed by teams with talent.
    5) Doogs won’t care what you do, they just say whatever happens is great.

QB: Smith (never signed one good QB)
    RB: Boner (Never had better than a par)
    WR: Pease (was awful)
    TE: Paopao (never had better than a par)
    OL: Strausser (defended by PGOS etc, we were GOOD on OL in 2016 so why worry?!)
    DL: Choate was the only dude who could recruit besides Lake.
    OLBs: Kwat can’t recruit at all.
    LB: Gregory is a par recruiter.
    DB: Lake da God

I think Pete is slow to change course but he eventually does.

QB: Smith (never signed one good QB) (Somehow) Promoted and Replaced with #mybush (consensus is that he fucks but needs to #proveit)
    RB: Boner (Never had better than a par)
    WR: Pease (was awful) Replaced with Lubick (Either he or #mybush gets credit for 2018. Pick which one you think is good and which is in the #proveit camp)
    TE: Paopao (never had better than a par)
    OL: Strausser (defended by PGOS etc, we were GOOD on OL in 2016 so why worry?!) Replaced with Huff (Definitely an upgrade. TBD how big of one)
    DL: Choate was the only dude who could recruit besides Lake. Replaced with Malloe with the intent of creating a poly pipeline. (Not perfect but definitely gaining momentum. LIPO)
    OLBs: Kwat can’t recruit at all. Took a *demotion basically to help continue to improve recruiting. Is learnding to recruit.
    LB: Gregory is a par recruiter.
    DB: Lake da God Was a coup to keep him on staff and make an accommodation for him to become the d-coordinator. Replaced with Will Harris(Pretty obvious hiring to help with fast strategy blacks from Cali which is part of what you harp on us not being able to do. Still #proveit)

Of 9 coaches 4 were worse than par recruiters. They are all gone now with the exception of the 1 who is actually amazing at the other part of his job but still got "demoted".

While he might not be shifting gears as quickly as some may want he's definitely doing so and addressing the weak links. I'd expect with the comment from last year Boner might be the next one in line for a "Promotion" if he doesn't at least shoot a par this year for RB recruiting. Even a par might not keep that from happening over another season. The "below par" recruiters have been shown the door. Expect the "par" recruiters to be next in line if they don't improve.

I think winning something meaningful on the field would do more to expand birdie recruiting at this point than any staff changes.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

I disagree... I think Cridell was the one guy Oregon landed who UW legit wanted. Jimmy Lake’s “do you want to be recruited or developed?” tweet coincided with Cridell falling for Oregon
    I'm not 100% sure on Cridell. Lake sent that tweet out, but then Cridell also sent a tweet out that said something to the effect of "You're going to regret not making me a priority" which people thought was aimed at UW.
    I think Cridell's tweet was aimed at SC