Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Finally watched Black Panther...

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
Um, it was good, I guess. Pretty good. Some major hot black chicks which I liked. Moshone as a General with a super spear was cool. I'd like a vibranium condom I suppose. Armored rhino's are cool.

But, with all I read and heard about this movie I was expecting something truly special. Like Dark Knight or Guardians of the Galaxy cool. Instead, this was Ant Man level stuff. Good, not great. I left with the feeling that perhaps the media over-hyped this because "all black cast." I will admit I did like the underlying message that white people are horrible. That was probably the best part of the film. Still not a great movie on it's own merits.

Meh.

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,756
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Rare to see this much agreement on HH. I am assuming Hondo will show up soon to tell me why I am racist for not thinking this is the greatest movie in the history of the world.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,756
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman did a good job, at least
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Agreed. It had the Brokeback effect. If it were a bunch of white people it would have been a run of the mill super hero movie, which it is. The same as Brokeback was just a lame love story sensationalized because it was two guys.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It looked cheaply made to me. Like, huge portions of the movie were pretty clearly shot in front of an obvious green screen. And it was in fast forward. Or am I just looking for reasons not to like it? It looked like a cheap, rushed piece of shit.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I watched it in 4D in Seattle. Even though the 4D was kind of gimmicky, it was still a pretty fun first time experience.

I could see how watching it without simulated bullets flying through your back make it less interesting, but I liked it.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    That was my suspicion and why I haven't made an effort to see it yet.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    phineas said:

It looked cheaply made to me. Like, huge portions of the movie were pretty clearly shot in front of an obvious green screen. And it was in fast forward. Or am I just looking for reasons not to like it? It looked like a cheap, rushed piece of shit.

I didn't notice this. It looked sort of like all the Marvel movies to me I guess, and I am a huge fan of the Marvel movies. But to me, this was just a regular one - like Ant Man, or the one Thor with the dark elf fag, or Iron Man 3. Just a standard decent brain candy Marvel flick. Gaurdians, Raganarok, and the first Iron Man were on another level - as was the first Avengers, and Infinity War I hear. There was nothing "next level" about Black Panther. Standard Marvel stuff. But, 97% score on Rotten Tomatoes!?!?!?!?! Number one all time out of 63 comics movies ever ranked! Better than Ragnarok? Better than Logan? Better than Dark Knight? Better than Infinity War?

Give me a fucking break.

Also interesting to note Wonder Woman is currently second. LOfuckignL. That was another good movie - in fact WW was better than BP I thought. But better than all those other movies I listed? No fucking way.

All black cast in number 1, and feminism vehicle in number 2. Better than all those other movies that anyone with a half a brain would prefer? Checks out.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I watched infinity war last night....

It's kind of corny.

They spend so much time trying to be super clever in how the characters meet each other.
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    Swaye said:

phineas said:

I didn't notice this. It looked sort of like all the Marvel movies to me I guess, and I am a huge fan of the Marvel movies. But to me, this was just a regular one - like Ant Man, or the one Thor with the dark elf fag, or Iron Man 3. Just a standard decent brain candy Marvel flick. Gaurdians, Raganarok, and the first Iron Man were on another level - as was the first Avengers, and Infinity War I hear. There was nothing "next level" about Black Panther. Standard Marvel stuff. But, 97% score on Rotten Tomatoes!?!?!?!?! Number one all time out of 63 comics movies ever ranked! Better than Ragnarok? Better than Logan? Better than Dark Knight? Better than Infinity War?

Give me a fucking break.

Also interesting to note Wonder Woman is currently second. LOfuckignL. That was another good movie - in fact WW was better than BP I thought. But better than all those other movies I listed? No fucking way.

All black cast in number 1, and feminism vehicle in number 2. Better than all those other movies that anyone with a half a brain would prefer? Checks out.
    I really liked Black Panther. It isn't number 1, but I'd put it above the ones like Ant-Man or Civil War.

My only issue with the film was that they took this (fictional) African country with what seemed to be very interesting cultural practices and then made the villain someone who sounds like they came from Fruitvale Station (strangely enough, another Coogler film starring Michael B. Jordan. Weird). In a span of something like 24 hours this villain (who admittedly was one of the best the MCU has seen) has taken over and is completely ruining the Wakanda that's interesting to see. Then, after T'Challa kills him, it's, "oh wait, he was right."

I just don't like how Coogler kind of turned the film into a cultural message straight from Fruitvale Station instead of an MCU superhero film.

That being said, I'd still put it way up there only behind mayyyybe Deadpool, then for sure Guardians 1, Ragnarok, and Avengers (original and Infinity War). Infinity War is very good because it's fucking ballsy and has a great villain. Dark Knight is better than BP because to me the Dark Knight is the best superhero movie ever made. I've never watched Logan because I have a searing hatred for those films after watching the Wolverine X Men Origins, but I know it's supposed to be great.

The thing with Rotten Tomatoes is that it doesn't offer a weighted grade. 97% just means 97% of critics said it's good - but most critics offer ratings such as x out of 4, or y out of 5. On IMDB, with weighted fan grades, it comes in at 9th.

However, Metacritic ranked all 49 Marvel movies by Metascore (weighted average of every review possible), and Black Panther came in at #1.

I think this is the point where we understand that if critics DON'T favorably review Black Panther, they get called racist. Add that to the fact that it is still an excellent film, and you get the ranking it has. I found Black Panther to be much better than Wonder Woman, which I still really enjoyed (go ahead, call me a fag).

Having watched every MCU film (and a few of the others ranked in the Metacritic ranking), stuff tends to get praised because it is new and different. Most of Rotten Tomatoes' highest ranked movies are like from 1940 or earlier (Get Out is up there, along with Inside Out which fucking sucks, Mad Max, and Moonlight). I won't pretend Citizen Kane isn't great, but holy fuck was Metropolis the most boring fucking film we ever watched in film studies. For the materials they had, it's good, but oh my god my entire film studies class slept through the whole damn thing. That movie fucking sucks by today's standards, and it still has like a 99 percent or something stupid.

Rotten Tomatoes is just not a good measure for so many reasons, but Black Panther is a film that I feel is a) excellent and b) overrated.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,493
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2018
    I'm boycotting all superhero movies. If I want to feel the black power, I'll just go watch Django Unchained or something.

Also...wtf is 4-D??? Do people even know what the 4th dimension is? Fuck outta here.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

phineas said:

Give me a fucking break.

I really liked Black Panther. It isn't number 1, but I'd put it above the ones like Ant-Man or Civil War.

My only issue with the film was that they took this (fictional) African country with what seemed to be very interesting cultural practices and then made the villain someone who sounds like they came from Fruitvale Station (strangely enough, another Coogler film starring Michael B. Jordan. Weird). In a span of something like 24 hours this villain (who admittedly was one of the best the MCU has seen) has taken over and is completely ruining the Wakanda that's interesting to see. Then, after T'Challa kills him, it's, "oh wait, he was right."

I just don't like how Coogler kind of turned the film into a cultural message straight from Fruitvale Station instead of an MCU superhero film.

That being said, I'd still put it way up there only behind mayyyybe Deadpool, then for sure Guardians 1, Ragnarok, and Avengers (original and Infinity War). Infinity War is very good because it's fucking ballsy and has a great villain. Dark Knight is better than BP because to me the Dark Knight is the best superhero movie ever made. I've never watched Logan because I have a searing hatred for those films after watching the Wolverine X Men Origins, but I know it's supposed to be great.

The thing with Rotten Tomatoes is that it doesn't offer a weighted grade. 97% just means 97% of critics said it's good - but most critics offer ratings such as x out of 4, or y out of 5. On IMDB, with weighted fan grades, it comes in at 9th.

However, Metacritic ranked all 49 Marvel movies by Metascore (weighted average of every review possible), and Black Panther came in at #1.

I think this is the point where we understand that if critics DON'T favorably review Black Panther, they get called racist. Add that to the fact that it is still an excellent film, and you get the ranking it has. I found Black Panther to be much better than Wonder Woman, which I still really enjoyed (go ahead, call me a fag).

Having watched every MCU film (and a few of the others ranked in the Metacritic ranking), stuff tends to get praised because it is new and different. Most of Rotten Tomatoes' highest ranked movies are like from 1940 or earlier (Get Out is up there, along with Inside Out which fucking sucks, Mad Max, and Moonlight). I won't pretend Citizen Kane isn't great, but holy fuck was Metropolis the most boring fucking film we ever watched in film studies. For the materials they had, it's good, but oh my god my entire film studies class slept through the whole damn thing. That movie fucking sucks by today's standards, and it still has like a 99 percent or something stupid.

Rotten Tomatoes is just not a good measure for so many reasons, but Black Panther is a film that I feel is a) excellent and b) overrated.
    Good chit man. I can appreciate your perspective. I didn't think it is quite as good as you did, but that's personal preference. I appreciate the excellent BUT still overrated line. Might be a good way to look at it. I thought I was going to be watching The Godfather or some shit based on the reviews and scores, and then watching it I'm like "Okay, this is pretty good and all but wtf?" This is pretty standard Marvel stuff. Certainly not near the best they have turned out, and nowhere near the life changing type cinema masterpiece all the critics are painting it to be. But I did like the white people bashing. That was cool.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,583
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Michael b Jordan was a dumb villain.

Watched Deadpool 2 last night. Good stuff.
  • Options
    BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    didnt see the movie but:

does he really speak with a flamboyant french accent in the movie? ...why?
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,819
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    An annoying social justice friend said it was great, so I avoided it, because he's 50,000 times the fag Honda is, but now that mainstream people like it, maybe I'll give it a chance in the dollar theater, or Redbox, or Netflicks. I generally don't like Marvel movies much (DC are okay).
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    BaldwinIV said:

didnt see the movie but:

does he really speak with a flamboyant french accent in the movie? ...why?
    He speaks with a local accent, actually. It's not French ( I speak French, that's not what French sounds like). It's just toned up because he is yelling.