Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

It’s all a prefectly executed plan. Get a “second headquarters” then phase out the Seattle headquarters. Bezos is a libertarian. He won’t put up with seattle bullshit longer than he needs to.

There's no income tax in the state of Washington. Bezos isn't going anywhere.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,470
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    2001400ex said:

It’s all a prefectly executed plan. Get a “second headquarters” then phase out the Seattle headquarters. Bezos is a libertarian. He won’t put up with seattle bullshit longer than he needs to.

There's no income tax in the state of Washington. Bezos isn't going anywhere.
    He won't move just his company.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Anyone know a good realtor I could call if I need my house sold?
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited May 2018

He can pretend to be whatever he wants to be, but no one gives a shit because actions speak louder than words. Amazon is a class act government teat suckler, to the tune of about $1.4 billion in government subsidies -- https://goodjobsfirst.org/amazon-tracker

A libertarian writes,

Subsidies are when the government takes tax money from you by force, and spends it on something you would not be willing to pay for in the free market. Subsidies support questionable or obsolete businesses in the name of the public interest because the government does not trust us to do whats good for us on our own.
    -- libertarianviewpoint.com/blog/libertarian-viewpoint-on-subsidies/

Also,

"A core belief of libertarianism is that ideas will prevail in a free marketplace. And if you know about markets, you know the key to making them efficient and fair is for as many players to have as much information as possible." https://theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2013/aug/16/jeff-bezos-washington-post

But how exactly do free markets square with Amazon's anti-trust activities and the fact that Amazon's intention is to BECOME the marketplace?

https://newrepublic.com/article/143376/amazon-changing-whole-concept-monopoly

https://thenation.com/article/amazon-doesnt-just-want-to-dominate-the-market-it-wants-to-become-the-market/
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Same old thing. If Seattle City High Council believes taxing soda pop will deter that behavior, they should not be surprised with taxing employment deters the same.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    RedRocket said:

The employee tax is FS stupid and Amazon is sending the right signal with this move. Amazon isnt leaving Seattle though. They've invested too much into developing South Lake Union and they are hard wired into the Westin Data Center which is a major internet hub that you just can't pick up and move somewhere else. HQ2 will pick up employees that Seattle doesn't really have room to accommodate.

Amazon has transformed south lake union: 12 million square feet of office space spread over 40 buildings since 2010. It has built a brand new urban campus. Both amazon and Seattle need to end the reliance on each other. A second campus in another city is the best thing for both. This has nothing to do with Seattle’s anti-free market policies however. Amazon’s Seattle corporate presence and its 30,000 Seattle employees aren’t going anywhere.

Sure.gif

The goalposts keep moving. From Day 1 I said that HQ2 was subterfuge and it is

Boeing would never leave Seattle either

You keep electing morons and this is what you get.

Office space is office space and data isn't locked in a safe anymore

In fact office space will be like a buggy manufacturing plant in 20 years. Who works in an office anymore? Poor people?

It was a sad day when they started building 787s, 777s, and 737s Chicago office buildings that are now obsolete.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,393
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited May 2018
    Who is surprised by this? @GrandpaSankey could have spotted this move coming from a mile away.

My sources tell me that this is also not a political bluff to deter the Council from approving the tax.

I like to call workplaces 'campuses.' That's what I like to do, because I'm a retard like that.

Mutually adjacent office buildings situated for the purpose of a promoting an enterprise. Food courts. Child care. Dog parks. Entertainment. “Spheres” for out-of-office time. All along the same neighborhood streets. 12 million square feet of space and more being built. 30,000 employees in a handful of square blocks. Yeah, it’s a campus. Just like oregon’s but far larger and way more successful.

I like to call workplaces 'campuses.' That's what I like to do, because I'm a retard like that.

Mutually adjacent office buildings situated for the purpose of a promoting an enterprise. Food courts. Child care. Dog parks. Entertainment. “Spheres” for out-of-office time. All along the same neighborhood streets. 12 million square feet of space and more being built. 30,000 employees in a handful of square blocks. Yeah, it’s a campus. Just like oregon’s but far larger and way more successful.
    Sounds like a Company Store to me designed to exploit workers

Sad
    Sure.gif
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,699
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam