Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest program to never have won a post WWII Natty?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,151
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Option
    the biggest shock in 94 was how physical UW was compared to Miami and Miami still had guys like Warren Sapp. UW had declined thanks to Lambo and should have been blown out in the first half but weren't and then kicked the shit out of the Canes

That doesn't mean the 91 team would have done the same but we? like to think so

The 2000 and 2001 games saw the Canes more physical in both contests even though it was a split
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited May 2018
    Texas A & M

the biggest shock in 94 was how physical UW was compared to Miami and Miami still had guys like Warren Sapp. UW had declined thanks to Lambo and should have been blown out in the first half but weren't and then kicked the shit out of the Canes

The 2000 and 2001 games saw the Canes more physical in both contests even though it was a split

All I really have to say about the post-1991 pre-Butch era is "fuck Dennis!".

There was talent in spots. It's always flashy to say Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis were on the same team, but the truth is Miami was in decline at that point. Dennis, as we all know, does well when he gets some place, and at the Miami gig, he inherited a juggernaut and cranked up the offense. What's not to like? But when your star defensive tackle tells your HC he's not going to quit smoking pot, you've got discipline problems.

The other thing that was different in 91 vs. 94 was that the 91 O line kept Gino pretty clean. A much more talented Frank Costa was on his back after every play because their O line play was dead.

All of that softening speaks to the Head Corch. You're right: there was no lineman on the UW team that should have been able to handle Warren Sapp. The entire NFL couldn't do it once he was playing for $$. But as we all know, by the 4th quarter, he was breathing heavy.

That's all on Dennis, and for a lot of Canes, it's his legacy.

One other thought: that 94 UW team was very fucking talented, and w/o really thinking about too much, I think there was more NFL success that came out of that group than came out of the 91 group. There was nobody as dominant as Lincoln or Empterman, but across the board there were a lot of long NFL careers on the 94 roster. How they went 7-4 I will never know. Actually, I guess I do.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Texas A & M
    *except for maybe Milloy.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,151
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Option

All I really have to say about the post-1991 pre-Butch era is "fuck Dennis!".

There was talent in spots. It's always flashy to say Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis were on the same team, but the truth is Miami was in decline at that point. Dennis, as we all know, does well when he gets some place, and at the Miami gig, he inherited a juggernaut and cranked up the offense. What's not to like? But when your star defensive tackle tells your HC he's not going to quit smoking pot, you've got discipline problems.

The other thing that was different in 91 vs. 94 was that the 91 O line kept Gino pretty clean. A much more talented Frank Costa was on his back after every play because their O line play was dead.

All of that softening speaks to the Head Corch. You're right: there was no lineman on the UW team that should have been able to handle Warren Sapp. The entire NFL couldn't do it once he was playing for $$. But as we all know, by the 4th quarter, he was breathing heavy.

That's all on Dennis, and for a lot of Canes, it's his legacy.

One other thought: that 94 UW team was very fucking talented, and w/o really thinking about too much, I think there was more NFL success that came out of that group than came out of the 91 group. There was nobody as dominant as Lincoln or Empterman, but across the board there were a lot of long NFL careers on the 94 roster. How they went 7-4 I will never know. Actually, I guess I do.
    You do. Same issue as the Canes. Coaching

There was a lot of talent because it was recruited during the Pac 1 Three Peat

But it was horribly coached. As I recall it was something like 13-7 at the half when UW had been badly outplayed but didn't pay for it