Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mataio Soli, 2019 4* DE, Douglasville (Douglas County HS), GA (Offered)

Comments

• Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

dnc said:

dnc said:

My guess is the staff believes they are in the process of building a national brand similar to Oregon. Having Adidas as an ally and playing in Atlanta next year will help further that exposure. I think they are trying to establish UW as a program that can take a few kids from the South every year or two the way Oregon can. It might be wasted effort for the now but Pete plays the long game and I think this is part of his plan.

Nah. They are desperate and think think casting a wide net, something's bound to work.
    If they were desperate they'd be offering the in state kids that will clearly take the offer if they extend it.

You can disagree with the strategery all day long but desperate's got nothing to do with it.
    I don’t think any of the kids that we haven’t offered in state are locks to take our offer, it’s gonna be a battle for those kids.

I don’t think it’s desperate either, I think it’s a ridiculous strategy that they are employing and makes no fucking sense whatsoever.
    I'm fine with this take. I #TrustTheCoaches so I assume there is solid reasoning to it, but it doesn't make any sense to me on it's face either. I just don't think there's any reason to think it's desperate when we're still among the least offers extended and at the top of "percentage of offers extended that have been accepted". It's weird as fuck, but not close to desperate.
    Maybe you misunderstand what I meant by desperate. It couldn't possibly be that I didn't communicate it correctly.

They are desperate to get a 'big time BUCK' prospect. So, they are throwing out offers and following a bunch of kids we have no shot at in the 'ugly guy propositioning every 10 in the club' kind of way.

Given Coach K's results, why is it the default to assume there is a good strategy? His recruiting here has produced this:

YEAR 1: Nobody.
    YEAR 2: Benning (in-state kid, Choate was lead recruiter on, brother went to UW), Jusstis Warren (in-state late offer, no competition), Bryce Sterk (in-state, late offer, no competition), Myles Rice (out-of-state, injured all senior year, no competition).
    YEAR 3: Amandre (in-state, minimal competition)
    YEAR 4: Joe Tryon (in-state, late offer, some competition, but he always wanted to go to UW)
    YEAR 5: Nobody.

So, why the fuck would we think he has a strategy? I don't understand why the default is that he is a good recruiter and knows what he's doing. FIVE FUCKING YEARS OF EVIDENCE shows he is clueless.

Why is it so hard to get people here to hold attitudes that are more nuanced than 'I like this guy/I hate this guy'. I fucking love Coach K. As a guy. As a coach. He is awesome. I do not want him fired. But RYAN BOWMAN is our back up BUCK.

But WHAT FUCKING EVIDENCE IS THERE HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING IN RECRUITING!?!?

None. He's gotten blown out for every good BUCK prospect we've been in on. Last year we offered tons of Texas and Southern BUCK kids. ONE KID WENT TO FUCKING LA TECH!!!

On this fucking bored of all places why do we have to take as the default that the coaches know what they're doing.

How about when they get some pelts on the wall, then we trust them?

Fucking show me.
    They did promote Lake to DC and bring Harris in to take over the DB's. They may be late to the table but they have addressed that issue. Have to see if Lake will take on Buck's but I remember seeing things posted from him that says he has taken over a part of that responsibility. It won't be an instant change but it should help going forward,
    Wrong. They have addressed it when we see results. Jesus Fucking Christ, what a bunch of Doogs.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

dnc said:

My guess is the staff believes they are in the process of building a national brand similar to Oregon. Having Adidas as an ally and playing in Atlanta next year will help further that exposure. I think they are trying to establish UW as a program that can take a few kids from the South every year or two the way Oregon can. It might be wasted effort for the now but Pete plays the long game and I think this is part of his plan.

Nah. They are desperate and think think casting a wide net, something's bound to work.
    If they were desperate they'd be offering the in state kids that will clearly take the offer if they extend it.

You can disagree with the strategery all day long but desperate's got nothing to do with it.
    I don’t think any of the kids that we haven’t offered in state are locks to take our offer, it’s gonna be a battle for those kids.

I don’t think it’s desperate either, I think it’s a ridiculous strategy that they are employing and makes no fucking sense whatsoever.
    Just like recruiting in Texas is a waste of time?
    dnc said:

dnc said:

I'm fine with this take. I #TrustTheCoaches so I assume there is solid reasoning to it, but it doesn't make any sense to me on it's face either. I just don't think there's any reason to think it's desperate when we're still among the least offers extended and at the top of "percentage of offers extended that have been accepted". It's weird as fuck, but not close to desperate.
    It’s one thing to disagree with the strategy ... it’s another to thing that there isn’t a rhyme or reason.

There is most definitely a reason for these offers ... the question is can you identify the reasons why?

dnc said:

dnc said:

Maybe you misunderstand what I meant by desperate. It couldn't possibly be that I didn't communicate it correctly.

They are desperate to get a 'big time BUCK' prospect. So, they are throwing out offers and following a bunch of kids we have no shot at in the 'ugly guy propositioning every 10 in the club' kind of way.

Given Coach K's results, why is it the default to assume there is a good strategy? His recruiting here has produced this:

YEAR 2: Benning (in-state kid, Choate was lead recruiter on, brother went to UW), Jusstis Warren (in-state late offer, no competition), Bryce Sterk (in-state, late offer, no competition), Myles Rice (out-of-state, injured all senior year, no competition).
    YEAR 4: Joe Tryon (in-state, late offer, some competition, but he always wanted to go to UW)

So, why the fuck would we think he has a strategy? I don't understand why the default is that he is a good recruiter and knows what he's doing. FIVE FUCKING YEARS OF EVIDENCE shows he is clueless.

Why is it so hard to get people here to hold attitudes that are more nuanced than 'I like this guy/I hate this guy'. I fucking love Coach K. As a guy. As a coach. He is awesome. I do not want him fired. But RYAN BOWMAN is our back up BUCK.

None. He's gotten blown out for every good BUCK prospect we've been in on. Last year we offered tons of Texas and Southern BUCK kids. ONE KID WENT TO FUCKING LA TECH!!!

On this fucking bored of all places why do we have to take as the default that the coaches know what they're doing.

Fucking show me.
    There needs to be separation between what we have done and what we are doing going forward.

It’s absolutely fair to hold K the recruiter and Gregory’s recruiting out as a massive rd flag area.

On the other hand, I’m not 100% sure that this is a strategy that is inconsistent with other areas of our recruiting ...

It’s for sure worth discussing ... I do think it is extreme to suggest that it is worthless
  • GrandpaSankeyGrandpaSankey Member Posts: 956
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited April 2018
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

It’s one thing to disagree with the strategy ... it’s another to thing that there isn’t a rhyme or reason.

There is most definitely a reason for these offers ... the question is can you identify the reasons why?
    Your eyes are as good as mine

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fucking show me.
    They did promote Lake to DC and bring Harris in to take over the DB's. They may be late to the table but they have addressed that issue. Have to see if Lake will take on Buck's but I remember seeing things posted from him that says he has taken over a part of that responsibility. It won't be an instant change but it should help going forward,
    Wrong. They have addressed it when we see results. Jesus Fucking Christ, what a bunch of Doogs.
    We were also saying the same about Malloe
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Their strategy is "there are lots of guys there, let's follow them and ask them if they want an offer. If they act interested and are a top 300 guy, offer" - that's it.

Their strategy is "there are lots of guys there, let's follow them and ask them if they want an offer. If they act interested and are a top 300 guy, offer" - that's it.

It’s way more complicated to dive into right now ... but it’s an unquestioned area where we have to find solutions here going forward.

The question is how?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

With 66 total offers? Compare that to 284 Oregon offers. I understand you are pissed because we have been shit recruiting bucks previously but there is not a chance in hell a Petersen led staff is just throwing out offers to see if one sticks to the wall. They have a plan and they don't offer just to offer. It goes against Pete's whole recruiting philosophy. And....@spirithorse so I can get a chin up in here!
    Ask and ye shall receive...
  • CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited April 2018

With 66 total offers? Compare that to 284 Oregon offers. I understand you are pissed because we have been shit recruiting bucks previously but there is not a chance in hell a Petersen led staff is just throwing out offers to see if one sticks to the wall. They have a plan and they don't offer just to offer. It goes against Pete's whole recruiting philosophy. And....@spirithorse so I can get a chin up in here!
    THAT ATL KID IS NEVER COMING HERE, it is an absolutely pointless offer and it’s not the only ducking one.

WE CANT OFFER ELITE KIDS IN STATE BUT WE CAN OFFER SOME KID FROM ATL THAT WE HAVE NO FUCKING SHOT AT.

Congrats they offer not many guys! Woopity doo!
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

dnc said:

Fucking show me.
    Is it too late to move culp to buck?
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Just like recruiting in Texas is a waste of time?
    Fuck, glad we got Vic Curne. Kid will be a fucking stud
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,907
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2018
    Swaye said:

Ask and ye shall receive...

• Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,907
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

THAT ATL KID IS NEVER COMING HERE, it is an absolutely pointless offer and it’s not the only ducking one.

WE CANT OFFER ELITE KIDS IN STATE BUT WE CAN OFFER SOME KID FROM ATL THAT WE HAVE NO FUCKING SHOT AT.

This is just my opinion but I think they are looking for the exposure as well as the recruit. Trying to slowly build a brand in that area that will pay off over time. But hell I'm wrong more than right but that wont keep me from:

This is just my opinion but I think they are looking for the exposure as well as the recruit. Trying to slowly build a brand in that area that will pay off over time. But hell I'm wrong more than right but that wont keep me from:

Keep winning and that will get you exposure

66 total offers doesn't mean shit. How are we offering BUCKs vs. other positions? Also, we make kids ask for the offer, so the another important metric is who we are following on twitter that is a top 300 kid. It doesn't take a genius to see we are much more indiscriminate with BUCKs than we are at other positions.

Right now we have about 15 offers out to BUCK/SAMs. Of those, we have 1 guy that might be a realistic target at this point (Trice). The others are just spray and pray guys who we either SHOULD be in on and aren't (I think of this as anyone good in our region; Thibodeaux, McCoy, Latu, Pakola, Robinson, Floyd, etc.) and guys we shouldn't be in on and aren't (Top 300 guys out of region; Hicks, Mowry, Soli, Ellison, Isumun-Handley, etc.) - you know how many to OL? 9.

You guys are fucking awful at this.

But, as I said - our 'novel strategy' is to follow guys and ask if they are serious before we offer. So, the real action is in the follows, because where Oregon would offer, we just insert another step in. Want to know Coach K's follows since signing day? (YES I TRACK THESE THINGS FUCK YOU)

Out of Region (this is nowhere in the footprint of the Pac-12): 31 Follows of OLB/BUCKs
    In Region (Pac-12 footprint): 17 follows

In many cases we have offered after a kid already had offers from Bama/LSU/UGA, etc type offers. We have been all over Marcus Hicks and he didn't visit us this spring. Although he visited Ohio State, Michigan, etc.

So, by whatever metric you'd like... Coach K is spending a lot of time trying to get blood from a stone out-of-region. He's in TX right now. If he signs a BUCK out of Texas that has another good offer, I will roll my wheelchair off a dock into Lake Washington. It will never happen.

The #1 premise of this bored is (should be) 'we don't trust the coaches'.

I prefer to think about my trust in their recruiting as akin to levels like the coaches hot seat web site does:

1. HOT SEAT (Paopao, Kwat, Gregory)
    2. EDGE OF HOT SEAT (Boner, Harris)
    3. SAFE FOR NOW (Bush, Lubick, Huff, Malloe, Lake)

What else would it be? This is human performance. It fluctuates. You think your boss is like 'oh, PGOS is doing great. I won't check back in on her for 20 years and now everything she does is genius'? FUCK NO. My top level is 'safe for now'.
    you know it’s speacial when DDY wants 1/3 of the staff gone