Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Round 2 (late 1970's to mid 1980's) - #3 Van Halen vs #11 The Ramones

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,885
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Round 2 (late 1970's to mid 1980's) - #3 Van Halen vs #11 The Ramones 44 votes

#3 Van Halen
72%
DerekJohnsonCFetters_Nacho_LoverFire_Marshall_BillSoutherndawgBennyBeaverCirrhosisDawgRoadDawg55Mad_SonDeepSeaZPurpleJDennis_DeYoungdncdfleaTequillaPurpleThrobberDooglesBad_MotherDuckerGrundleStiltzkinKaepskneeBaseman 32 votes
#11 The Ramones
27%
SwayewhlinderAZDuckBlackieUWhuskytskeetYouKnowItGladstonechuckoregonblitzkriegjhfstyle24NorwegianHuskyUW_Doog_Bot 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    #3 Van Halen
    Might as well not even play the game
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #3 Van Halen
    Sophie’s Choice for me.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #11 The Ramones
    Not a good start this tim.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    #3 Van Halen
    I will create thousands of alt-handles if that's what it takes to get Van Halen to the final four.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    #3 Van Halen
    PANAMA
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #3 Van Halen
    The Damoans Cinderella run is over and now may they sink back into the fucking irrelevant abyss where they belonged all along.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #11 The Ramones
    Should have been the Sex Pistols anyways. As much as Phil Spector and the wall of sound were revolutionary I've always found the Ramones to be one of the most boring punk bands musically. Tim & place matter though as we've established with other bands.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen

Should have been the Sex Pistols anyways. As much as Phil Spector and the wall of sound were revolutionary I've always found the Ramones to be one of the most boring punk bands musically. Tim & place matter though as we've established with other bands.

Sex Pistols are hamstrung IMHO opinion by only having 1 album. There were a lot of artists who got in with only 2 or maybe 3 good records, but 1 LP ain't gonna cut it.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #11 The Ramones

Sex Pistols are hamstrung IMHO opinion by only having 1 album. There were a lot of artists who got in with only 2 or maybe 3 good records, but 1 LP ain't gonna cut it.
    Fair to make the ruling but 1 game changing album can be worth 20 "good" albums.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen

Fair to make the ruling but 1 game changing album can be worth 20 "good" albums.
    Absolutely. However, I don't think Bollocks was anymore game changing than the first Ramones album. And then the Ramones went one to have 2 or 3 more truly great albums, Rocket to Russia being the best of them. Nor do I think Bollocks was more important historically than the first Clash record.

People forget as well, that the Damned and not the Pistols were the first UK punk group to get an LP in the stores.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #11 The Ramones

Absolutely. However, I don't think Bollocks was anymore game changing than the first Ramones album. And then the Ramones went one to have 2 or 3 more truly great albums, Rocket to Russia being the best of them. Nor do I think Bollocks was more important historically than the first Clash record.

People forget as well, that the Damned and not the Pistols were the first UK punk group to get an LP in the stores.
    All fair reasoning. I think the Sex Pistols were none the less more influential to the punk scene. Ramones definitely win out on the popular scene for the influence category. Either one ain't making it past this round anyways.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen

All fair reasoning. I think the Sex Pistols were none the less more influential to the punk scene. Ramones definitely win out on the popular scene for the influence category. Either one ain't making it past this round anyways.
    And I think this is what makes an exercise such as this such a mind fuck. I love all the classic DD era Van Halen, Clash, Ramones and Pistols albums. There's shit ton of great American and UK punk that didn't make the cut.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    #11 The Ramones
    I voted for the Ramones, but I'm actually voting for the Sex Pistols.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    #3 Van Halen

Tequilla said:

PANAMA

For years I thought they said “Cannon Ball” instead of PANAMA.

I also was once driving my friend’s car while he was high on acid. He got so fired up during this song that he was kicking the windshield from the passenger seat. The window broke. It was cool.
    The windshield broke while you were driving??
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    #3 Van Halen

Tequilla said:

PANAMA

I also was once driving my friend’s car while he was high on acid. He got so fired up during this song that he was kicking the windshield from the passenger seat. The window broke. It was cool.
    Supeli Malamala?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

PANAMA

The windshield broke while you were driving??
    Yep on the passenger side. I was maybe a minute or two away from my house.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    #3 Van Halen
    PANAMA basically was playing on a continuous loop in a taxi/Uber car to the Acrop one night
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen
    Tequilla said:

PANAMA basically was playing on a continuous loop in a taxi/Uber car to the Acrop one night

The one in Athens or Portland ?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,954
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    #3 Van Halen
    salemcoog said:

The Damoans Cinderella run is over and now may they sink back into the fucking irrelevant abyss where they belonged all along.

April 28, 2018 - The first @Salemcoog post I've ever chinned.