Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Round 2 (late 1970's to mid 1980's) - #1 AC DC vs #9 Tom Petty

Comments

• Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    #9 Tom Petty
    salemcoog said:

I was going to abstain from this one, but looking at the vote and out of respect for the late great Tom Petty, I voted for the finest San Fernando valley balladeer there ever was.

.suregif.

Too bad they were from Georgia.
    Florida.

He’s been based in LA since the 1980s. last concerts were Rose bowl and Hollywood bowl. Died at home in Malibu.

But still...
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #1 AC DC

So, because I'm FS and a hipster loser and hate authority - I literally NEVER get out of tickets. Cops see me and double everything.

Except one case...

Right before I was leaving grad school I was doing 85 in a 35 in my 1979 Porsche 928 (dream car when I was a kid so I bought it like a hipster fag) on the shoreline of CT blasting 'Live Wire' with one of my BFF's from grad school.

The cop was like, 'I get it, just please slow down'. The ONLY time I've gotten out of a ticket ever.

THAT is the power of AC/DC.

Yes - that episode is essentially me. I'm Clarkson.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,855
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 AC DC

So, because I'm FS and a hipster loser and hate authority - I literally NEVER get out of tickets. Cops see me and double everything.

Except one case...

Right before I was leaving grad school I was doing 85 in a 35 in my 1979 Porsche 928 (dream car when I was a kid so I bought it like a hipster fag) on the shoreline of CT blasting 'Live Wire' with one of my BFF's from grad school.

The cop was like, 'I get it, just please slow down'. The ONLY time I've gotten out of a ticket ever.

I've played this Gif before, but I still think this the funniest 928 Gif on the internets.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 AC DC
    Swaye said:

I could actually see ACDC winning this whole damn thing.

They've gotta go through Van Halen first. I mean how the fuck do you top Van Halen I. I mean Highway and Back in Black are flawless but Van Halen I was revolutionary and perhaps the best debut album by any band ever. Eddie >>>> Angus.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 AC DC

Except one case...

I've ridden in the jump seat of a 928. My dad had a 1989.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited April 2018
    #1 AC DC
    I don't see them getting past the Beatles, Metallica, Zeppelin, Nirvana or Bowie/Floyd. The road ends there.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    #1 AC DC

Swaye said:

They've gotta go through Van Halen first. I mean how the fuck do you top Van Halen I. I mean Highway and Back in Black are flawless but Van Halen I was revolutionary and perhaps the best debut album by any band ever. Eddie >>>> Angus.
    Get the fuck outta here.

Not close. No contest. AC/DC > Van Halen
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 AC DC
    dflea said:

Swaye said:

Get the fuck outta here.

Not close. No contest. AC/DC > Van Halen
    Not saying AC DC isn't one of the GOATs. I seeded them #1 in their region for Christ's sake. Still, Eddie is on the Mt Rushmore of Rock Guitar - i.e., Chuck, Jimmy, Page, and Eddie - and Angus is not. And Van Halen might have been more of a "game changer" type of band.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,178
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 AC DC

Swaye said:

Outside of the age demographic of this bored(and only a subset at that bc dorm geeks) Van Halen is not very remembered or relevant to today's youth.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 AC DC

Swaye said:

Outside of the age demographic of this bored(and only a subset at that bc dorm geeks) Van Halen is not very remembered or relevant to today's youth.
    Valid poont. I don't know that Van Halen's music holds up as well with today's youth as AC DCs. Mrs Snow a millennial (I'm not) will rock out to some AC DC and especially Queen, but is meh on Van Halen. None of this changes Eddie's influence on playing of the electric guitar. In other words, if Hendrix is God, then so is Eddie.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 AC DC
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I see you've gotten on drugs. Good choice.
    No illegal drugs, just some margs with premium orange liquor and Van Halen records spinning on the turn table.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    People are forgetting that Van Halen had a 2nd half with Sammy Hagar.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 AC DC
    salemcoog said:

People are forgetting that Van Halen had a 2nd half with Sammy Hagar.

As did AC DC with Brian. Van Hagar sucked. Brian Johnson still have Back in Black and For Those About to Rock.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Noone said that AC DC was better than Van Halen.

But if you are saying that Brian Johnson is a better vocalist than Sammy Hagar, I'll gladly mapquest the local 7-11 for you when you come visit the in laws next.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 AC DC
    salemcoog said:

Noone said that AC DC was better than Van Halen.

But if you are saying that Brian Johnson is a better vocalist than Sammy Hagar, I'll gladly mapquest the local 7-11 for you when you come visit the in laws next.

I need one on the west side of the river. I'm lazy and don't want to drive too far.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #1 AC DC

AC/DC is better than Van Halen.

Brian Johnson's era had one decent album and all that. But AC/DC is quintessential. Van Halen is the best house party band ever, easily.

But ultimately, Diamond Dave was a prancing feeg and they are broadway show for hard rock fans.

AC/DC is music that makes you want to take your shirt off and punch someone. Van Halen is fun when you want to feel good or play decent music around chicks.

HRYK
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    #1 AC DC

Make a list of the top 20 songs from each band.

Once you get to about a dozen songs, you'll be pressing to find another VH song, and wondering how AC/DC could have so many songs that kick ass.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 AC DC

AC/DC is better than Van Halen.

Brian Johnson's era had one great album and two decent ones and all that. But AC/DC is quintessential. Van Halen is the best house party band ever, easily.

But ultimately, Diamond Dave was a prancing feeg and they are broadway show for hard rock fans.

AC/DC is music that makes you want to take your shirt off and punch someone. Van Halen is fun when you want to feel good or play decent music around chicks.

Fixed. Yes, Bon Scott was way more bad ass than the prancing feeg, Dave.