Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Video analysis: UW's 3rd down production on offense in 2017

Comments

• GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Except for that first clip. That shit makes me feel ridiculously happy every time I see it. It’s impossible not to smile.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,726
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I honestly don’t care about completion percentage ... that’d improve strictly with better coaching and talent around him.

Locker was at worst a gamer in critical situations ... a polar opposite of Browning

Your disdain of Locker clouds your judgement here

Locker in ‘16 with this team gives us a lot least a puncher’s chance against Bama

Locker in ‘17 wins the P12 rather easily

I don't have disdain for Locker. I love the kid. I'm probably the most pro Locker/Jesus guy on this bored. But he was never a good QB. He was wildly inaccurate. He didn't make good decisions.

Forget winning the national title, Locker would have never started a game for Petersen save maybe in 2014. Pete values two things in QB's above all else - accuracy and ability to grasp the offense. Locker would have failed at both.

IR, YK.
    Please give me some examples of really bad decisions he made
    I'll go. The entire Holiday Bowl against Nebraska lol
    Also ran for close to 100 yards and won the game
    Didn't think you'd want to bring wins and losses into this discussion.
    In situations where Locker has the opportunity to tie or win the game ... he wasn’t that bad
    He's right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhTjtK2EcWc

T minus 3...2...1 until someone equates that with Browning against Utah.
    Hugh Millen went orgasmic over a third down pass in the winning drive. It was impressive but that's what great qbs are supposed to do. A lot.

Jake wasn't able to make the team better than average or worse

Which is too bad
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

I honestly don’t care about completion percentage ... that’d improve strictly with better coaching and talent around him.

Locker was at worst a gamer in critical situations ... a polar opposite of Browning

Locker in ‘16 with this team gives us a lot least a puncher’s chance against Bama

I don't have disdain for Locker. I love the kid. I'm probably the most pro Locker/Jesus guy on this bored. But he was never a good QB. He was wildly inaccurate. He didn't make good decisions.

Forget winning the national title, Locker would have never started a game for Petersen save maybe in 2014. Pete values two things in QB's above all else - accuracy and ability to grasp the offense. Locker would have failed at both.

IR, YK.
    In situations where Locker has the opportunity to tie or win the game ... he wasn’t that bad
    Agree. He also played badly enough early in a lot of games that he didn't have the shot to tie or win the game late (which he was actually good at).

Again, the polar opposite of Browning.
    The team around him also largely sucked ... we played a lot of guys with bottom half of the P12 talent
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.
    Agree. He also played badly enough early in a lot of games that he didn't have the shot to tie or win the game late (which he was actually good at).

The team around him also largely sucked ... we played a lot of guys with bottom half of the P12 talent
    And REAL Jake had almost no quarterback coaching in high school or at Warshington.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.

You mean like Tui winning the Rose Bowl with 7-6 talent?
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.

When Jake dipped in '08, how'd we do?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.

Jake was better than Ronnie Fouch, I don't think anyone would argue otherwise.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.

We were winless with him too

And he cost us 1-11 with a penalty!

We were 7-6 before Tui and 7-6 after Tui. Ok Cody's first year we were 8-4 or something but lost 65-7 to the Canes
    ArtBriles said:

I know a GOOD offense when I see one.

You wouldn’t know a good defense though

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.

That’s funny
  • BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Something no one has noted is how many 3rd and longs there were. Like 66% of them. The fuck were we doing on 1st and 2nd down?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.

That’s trueblockquote>

• Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Gladstone said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

IR, YK.

We were winless with him too

And he cost us 1-11 with a penalty!

We were 7-6 before Tui and 7-6 after Tui. Ok Cody's first year we were 8-4 or something but lost 65-7 to the Canes
    Jake was probably worth 4 wins the prior year. With Fouch we would've been 0-12 in '07 as well.
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    dnc said:

AIRWOLF said:

Locker could have been a tremendous playmaker at QB in the right system. That system wasn't Sark's offense and it sure isn't Petersen's. He would have been great in a Malzahn, Meyer, or Bill Snyder offense. Assuming that offense also had the OL to go with it and not the Willingham dregs he was playing behind.

Why do you hate Chip Kelly?

I really think that offense would have been perfect. Small playbook. Move fast, play on instincts, make limited number of decisions, huge threat as a runner. Locker at Oregon under Chip may have won a natty. Not under any UW coach ever.
    I was more focused on offenses that use QBs as a runner inside, on QB Powers, Dart Reads, and things like that.
  • LesGrossmanLesGrossman Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,473
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    BaldwinIV said:

Something no one has noted is how many 3rd and longs there were. Like 66% of them. The fuck were we doing on 1st and 2nd down?

Where were you?

1st Down: RB run for little gain, followed by JonathanSmithFS losing faith in the running game.

2nd Down: Jake Browning creating pressure when there isn’t any, then running 10 yards backwards before getting sacked.
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Gladstone said:

BaldwinIV said:

Where were you?

1st Down: RB run for little gain, followed by JonathanSmithFS losing faith in the running game.

2nd Down: Jake Browning creating pressure when there isn’t any, then running 10 yards backwards before getting sacked.
    This will be another offseason video discussion for us. I'm curious about 2nd and long after a 1st down short gain or incompletion. I've already pulled the stats but seeing it visually can change the story/give context that '2nd down rush for gain of 1' might not.

3rd down defense too.

FRANNY
    I will be interested to see the cut-ups, but second and long plus third and anything other than very short make up "passing downs" and I know that the Huskies' success rate on passing downs overall wasn't bad. I believe it was 21st in the country. Of course that isn't SOS adjusted and we know how weak the opposition was. It is pretty likely that against defenses with a pulse the passing success rate was sub-par. That's my recollection of it.