Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Happy Record Store Day you assholes

2»

Comments

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,234
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited April 2018

Ok so @Southerndawg is tabbed for physics consultant of the music bored. Next up what is an OHM and how does that relate to speaker impedance.

Ohms measure resistance. The lower the resistance the more current by ohm's law (current is voltage / resistance). If there is more current the speaker is louder. Impedance is a somewhat more refined term for resistance including effects of coils and capacitors and phase angles but in common usage resistance and impedance get conflated.
    Close. Without diving into a discussion on system dynamics, and assuming we're discussing speaker impedance, lower impedance means the speaker will draw more current at a given power setting than a higher impedance speaker will. Keeping it simple, by Ohms Law, P = IV = I^2R, P=power, V=voltage, I= current, R=resistance. Lower impedance does not mean the speaker will be louder, but it does mean it will pull more current from the amp at a given power setting, so low impedance speakers generally need high current amps to fully function lest the signal will clip and distort as the amp is stressed.

It is also worth noting that speaker impedance is not fixed. Some designs, especially those that utilize electrostatic transducers can see dramatic dynamic impedance drops to one ohm or less. If you want something like that to sound good, you have to invest in a very good high current amp.
    Ok. I was reading around the internets and one thing to be aware of us drawing too much current from your amp. So if you swap out 8 ohm speakers for 4 ohm speakers and you are accustomed to a certain volume setting on your dial, you are pushing your amp harder to supply the current, so there is a risk of some kind of blow out somewhere. But, it seems like the kind of thing you can do by feel -- if your amp is smoking hot to the touch or your speakers are starting to distort back off the volume level.
    At reasonable sound levels, there shouldn't be too much of an issue. It's when you start cranking it up. You won't feel it, you'll hear it, and if you push too hard, that may not happen until it's too late and you've damaged a crossover or a tweeter. If you have a good set of 4 ohm speakers, just spring for a suitable amp and enjoy.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Just get bigger speaker wire.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

If we don't we're gonna blow a fifty-amp fuse
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    89ute said:

If we don't we're gonna blow a fifty-amp fuse
    I’m hearing monster cable is the way to go. Helps to offset some of the lossy compression inherent to vinyl.

HTH
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,882
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Ok so @Southerndawg is tabbed for physics consultant of the music bored. Next up what is an OHM and how does that relate to speaker impedance.

Ohms measure resistance. The lower the resistance the more current by ohm's law (current is voltage / resistance). If there is more current the speaker is louder. Impedance is a somewhat more refined term for resistance including effects of coils and capacitors and phase angles but in common usage resistance and impedance get conflated.
    Close. Without diving into a discussion on system dynamics, and assuming we're discussing speaker impedance, lower impedance means the speaker will draw more current at a given power setting than a higher impedance speaker will. Keeping it simple, by Ohms Law, P = IV = I^2R, P=power, V=voltage, I= current, R=resistance. Lower impedance does not mean the speaker will be louder, but it does mean it will pull more current from the amp at a given power setting, so low impedance speakers generally need high current amps to fully function lest the signal will clip and distort as the amp is stressed.

It is also worth noting that speaker impedance is not fixed. Some designs, especially those that utilize electrostatic transducers can see dramatic dynamic impedance drops to one ohm or less. If you want something like that to sound good, you have to invest in a very good high current amp.
    Prolly the best system I've ever listened to of late is one a former teammate of mine has: 10 ohm speakers paired with a 15 watt hand wired in Japan integrated tube amp. Who'd a thunk you could crank it up on a 15 watt amp?

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,537
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    what i got out of this thread:
    1. I found my inner groove once when I got high
    2. sausage and kraut, mmmmmmmmmmmm good