Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Round 1 (late 1980's to present) - #3 U2 vs #14 Black Crowes

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2018
    #3 U2
    dnc said:

How in the fuck did the Black Crowes make it and not the Smashing Pumpkins?

Whom did Jimi page tour with?

Prolly a coin flip between Pumpkins and Crowes. Both were about the same level of importance in the 90s.
    You serious Clark?

As a 90s kid cannot confirm. Pumpkins were far far more important.
    Record sales about equal for both groups at 30,000,000. Just one metric. Don't twist.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #14 Black Crowes
    Tequilla said:

Or Green Day? Or the Foo Fighters? Or The Killers? Or The Goo Goo Dolls?

Hell, I’d even put a band like My Chemical Romance up against The Black Crowes. I’d definitely choose Welcome to the Black Parade ahead of anything from The Black Crowes
    HRKY

Forgot the Foo Fighters. They certainly should have made it, but I am guessing Yella thought with three Seattle bands already...
  • Options
    Founders Club
    #14 Black Crowes
    Also I was downvoted by @RoadDawg55 for making fun of U2, which confirms my theory that the only people who like U2 are girls and asian guys.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    #14 Black Crowes
    FRANNY
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 U2
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Prolly a coin flip between Pumpkins and Crowes. Both were about the same level of importance in the 90s.
    You serious Clark?

Record sales about equal for both groups at 30,000,000. Just one metric. Don't twist.
    MindBlown.gif

Must have been for old people. I didn't know a single person who listened to Black Crowes. Not in Seattle. Not in North Carolina. I knew a ton of people who loved the Pumpkins in both (and a ton who hated them in both).

Youtube seems to agree. Those 90s kids grew up and watch Youtube. Those old people apparently do not. Black Crowes has one video with over 10 million views (and only one more with 5). Pumpkins has 7.

I'd be shocked if the average 90s rock fan can name more than one Black Crowes song. Or a single member of the band.
    Note to self: form a seeding committee of trusted expurts. I'll start looking a resumes later this year.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    #3 U2

dnc said:

dnc said:

You serious Clark?

MindBlown.gif

Must have been for old people. I didn't know a single person who listened to Black Crowes. Not in Seattle. Not in North Carolina. I knew a ton of people who loved the Pumpkins in both (and a ton who hated them in both).

Youtube seems to agree. Those 90s kids grew up and watch Youtube. Those old people apparently do not. Black Crowes has one video with over 10 million views (and only one more with 5). Pumpkins has 7.

I'd be shocked if the average 90s rock fan can name more than one Black Crowes song. Or a single member of the band.
    Note to self: form a seeding committee of trusted expurts. I'll start looking a resumes later this year.
    *ahem*
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 2018
    #14 Black Crowes

Swaye said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

You serious Clark?

MindBlown.gif

This resume is an old one for me, but I don't have a new one. TIA for your consideration.

Backpack?
    You caught me. I told him to add the part about not sucking dick.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    #3 U2

dnc said:

dnc said:

You serious Clark?

MindBlown.gif

I'd be useless on the older stuff, but 90's rock, rap and R&B is my wheelhouse
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 U2
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

You serious Clark?

MindBlown.gif

I'd be useless on the older stuff, but 90's rock, rap and R&B is my wheelhouse
    And of the 4 eras included in this BOTB, the late 80s to present is my weakest area of knowledge, so it's only natural that I had a few fuck ups. I'm an old soul after all.

All that said, Jake Browning sucks, and I think that I whiffed on 2 or maybe 3 at most in this part of the bracket. Prolly Wilco, Black Crowes, and the 3rd could be maybe Rage or Black Keys. Still, I think I got, at least, 13 of 16 right here and you know what that means? 81.25% fuckers!!!! Suck it.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,185
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #14 Black Crowes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

You serious Clark?

MindBlown.gif

Cannot name a single Crowes song confirmed. Could probably name Smashing Pumpkins discography just from how much radio time they had before I ever liked them. Did not grow up in Seattle. You could also look at some sort of MTV viewership as a metric for that era as well. Also, Smashing Pumpkins were on the Simpsons so that's gotta count for something.

All that said, U2 sucks.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 U2
    Swaye said:

Also I was downvoted by @RoadDawg55 for making fun of U2, which confirms my theory that the only people who like U2 are girls and asian guys.

U2 is good stuff
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,578
    Idk who the black crowes are
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    #14 Black Crowes

• Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    #14 Black Crowes
    D'Arcy was my favorite Pumpkin. Hot & cool at the same time. Not enough chick rockers in the poles.

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,233
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    #3 U2

dnc said:

dnc said:

You serious Clark?

MindBlown.gif

Cannot name a single Crowes song confirmed. Could probably name Smashing Pumpkins discography just from how much radio time they had before I ever liked them. Did not grow up in Seattle. You could also look at some sort of MTV viewership as a metric for that era as well. Also, Smashing Pumpkins were on the Simpsons so that's gotta count for something.

All that said, U2 sucks.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-HamRO4nC8&list=RDy-HamRO4nC8&t=1
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,086
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 U2
    I want to know the board's opinions on when the music stopped mattering for U2? My opinion was up to The Joshua Tree. Anything after that was NEW U2, and everything before was OLD U2