Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Round 1 (late 1980's to present) - #5 Guns n' Roses vs #12 Rage Against the Machine

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Round 1 (late 1980's to present) - #5 Guns n' Roses vs #12 Rage Against the Machine 41 votes

#5 Guns n' Roses
68%
DerekJohnsonFire_Marshall_BillSwayeSoutherndawgBennyBeaverCirrhosisDawgDeepSeaZgreenbloodDennis_DeYoungCokeGreaterThanPepsidncchuckdfleaoregonblitzkriegTequillaBad_MotherDuckerGrundleStiltzkinIPukeOregonGrellowDoog_de_JourBearsWiin 28 votes
#12 Rage Against the Machine
31%
whlinderThomasFremontRoadDawg55Mad_SonAZDuckUWhuskytskeetYouKnowItDooglesLebamDawgPitchfork51BleachedAnusDawgBlastDoorUW_Doog_Bot 13 votes

Comments

• backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    #5 Guns n' Roses
    21 guns that is all.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #5 Guns n' Roses
    Meh on both. I don't change the station if either plays.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #5 Guns n' Roses

I really like Rage minus the far left politics. They had a unique, angry sound which fused several genres.... but GNR was clearly the best hair band and it's not close.

This.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    #5 Guns n' Roses

I really like Rage minus the far left politics. They had a unique, angry sound which fused several genres.... but GNR was clearly the best hair band and it's not close.

Yep, Morello's easily the best guitar player to emerge post grunge. Really unique, chinteresting band. But GnR are fucking legends.
    #5 Guns n' Roses
    FWIW I'd take Rage over anyone in this bracket after #5 except Weezer and Soundgarden.

They're a top 8 seed for me, of these 16 anyway. I'd still have them below AiC, Smashing Pumpkins and Muse.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fucking hated GnR all the way back to the 80's when I was a shit kicking little punk rock kid and still do. I have some respect for Slash but Axl was the ultimate faux tough guy. How their music ever got a reputation for being "hard" is still completely beyond me. They are in the same category as Bon Jovi for me.

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    that's pretty fair, but I can's stand Axl Rose...
    Swaye's Wigwam

Axl is a trainwreck of a marginal human being.

#5 Guns n' Roses
    Kinda surprised Rage isn't getting more love from the Cornell fanboys.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #5 Guns n' Roses
    Not even close. GnR had a short lived career (basically one good album)... but they were a classic instantly.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not even close. GnR had a short lived career (basically one good album)... but they were a classic instantly.

My vote is less "for" Rage and more against GnR. I have a lot of hate in my life.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #5 Guns n' Roses

My vote is less "for" Rage and more against GnR. I have a lot of hate in my life.
    Rage is awful.
    Swaye's Wigwam

GnR is awful.
    Are we even arguing?
    #5 Guns n' Roses
    dnc said:

Yep, Morello's easily the best guitar player to emerge post grunge. Really unique, chinteresting band. But GnR are fucking legends.
    I left out Jack White. I actually prefer White. Morello's still probably better, but it shouldn't have said easily the best.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

I left out Jack White. I actually prefer White. Morello's still probably better, but it shouldn't have said easily the best.
    John Frusciante(whether you like RHCP or not) is also an amazing guitarist with all kinds of range and technical talent. Not saying he's the best but he belongs in the conversation.
    #5 Guns n' Roses

dnc said:

dnc said:

John Frusciante(whether you like RHCP or not) is also an amazing guitarist with all kinds of range and technical talent. Not saying he's the best but he belongs in the conversation.
    I like RHCP, but I've never thought Frusciante was at the guitar god level of the other two.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

I like RHCP, but I've never thought Frusciante was at the guitar god level of the other two.
    While he's gone out of the spotlight some he's still heavily involved in a lot of production and there's a reason for it. He's got a ton of range to be able to play minimalist melody, doo-wop, to hard metal. He's got an ability to technically thrive in a variety of genres.