Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NBA Playoff Megathread

Comments

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2018

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

ugh the romanticization of 90s NBA defense is one of biggest sports misnomers ever

Jordan rules.
    As I said, there is nothing LBJ can do to change this narrative. Nothing at all. Round in circles we go.
    I mean he lost to a team with an aging star and a bunch of guys from the retirement in 2011 w/ Bosh and Wade. Ray Allen bails em out in 2013. Kyrie bails em out.

Difference between Lebron and Jordan?

Jordan hit the big shots. Although, Lebron hit one today.
    https://youtu.be/S2BlOTeoZVE

Study up new fish!
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,793
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Doogles said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

ugh the romanticization of 90s NBA defense is one of biggest sports misnomers ever

Jordan rules.
    As I said, there is nothing LBJ can do to change this narrative. Nothing at all. Round in circles we go.
    I mean he lost to a team with an aging star and a bunch of guys from the retirement in 2011 w/ Bosh and Wade. Ray Allen bails em out in 2013. Kyrie bails em out.

Study up new fish!
    Yes Kerr and Paxton. But, MJ hit a lot more important clutch shots in the playoffs than Lebron.
  • Options
    BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Jordan rules.

Cite your fucking source, there have been stats posted in this thread showing how LeBron has passed MJ in shots 5 seconds and under in the playoffs. If you aren't talking solely about that metric, then what metrics are you using to qualify "big shots?"

Until then I will dismiss any post of yours as the usual butthurt anti-LeBron bullshit people espouse.

Embarrassing.
  • Options
    BaldwinIV said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Jordan rules.

Cite your fucking source, there have been stats posted in this thread showing how LeBron has passed MJ in shots 5 seconds and under in the playoffs. If you aren't talking solely about that metric, then what metrics are you using to qualify "big shots?"

Until then I will dismiss any post of yours as the usual butthurt anti-LeBron bullshit people espouse.

Embarrassing.
    Game icing shots are not counted in that metric.
  • Options
    BaldwinIV said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Jordan rules.

Embarrassing.
    Can't find the data because a lot of isn't tracked (80s-95ish). I just think of MJ's shots as more iconic.

• Options

BaldwinIV said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Jordan rules.

Embarrassing.
    Qualify what you mean by 'big shots', post the stats, or shut the fuck up kid.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options

BaldwinIV said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Jordan rules.

Embarrassing.
    Can't find the data because a lot of isn't tracked (80s-95ish). I just think of MJ's shots as more iconic.

Of course.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    BaldwinIV said:

BaldwinIV said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Jordan rules.

Embarrassing.
    https://es.pn/2bkde7w

Fact number 14.

"For his career, Jordan was 9-of-18 shooting in the playoffs on potential game-tying or go-ahead shots in the final 24 seconds of the fourth quarter or overtime. He was a perfect 3-of-3 on such shots in games when his team faced elimination and 4-of-7 when his team had an opportunity to clinch."
  • Options
    BaldwinIV said:

BaldwinIV said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Jordan rules.

Embarrassing.
    You seem like you care.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Doogles said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Jordan rules.

Study up new fish!
    Yikes. I hate to do this because you've always been one of my favorite, classy poasters, but this is an awful comparison so here goes.

First the obvious - Jordan predicted to his teammate (Kerr) that there'd be a double team and if there was that Kerr would need to be ready to hit the shot. Jordan got an assist on the stat sheet but more importantly he actually foresaw the events and had his teammate prepared to capitalize.

LeBron, OTOH, bricked his shot, needed a teammate (Bosh) to pull the bored, who then assisted another teammate (Allen) who hit the shot.

Jordan was an integral part of his "bailout", whereas LeBron actually missed his shot and needed multiple teammates to pick him up.

Advantage Michael.

But wait, there's more. Let's assume for a moment that neither MJ and LeBron got "bailed out" - both of their teammates miss these big shots. What happens? In the Bulls-Jazz game Kerr's shot went through with 5.0 seconds left on the clock. In MJ's case the game was tied. Had Kerr's shot have missed, maybe Utah gets a game winner of their own but that feels unlikely since they didn't score after Kerr's bucket. Realistically we're talking overtime in this instance. Who you betting on in overtime in Chicago? Conservatively we can say Utah has a 40% shot at winning in that situation (I'm being very generous). And if Utah somehow pulled that off, it would have only evened the series and Game 7 was also going to be in Chicago. You think anyone would have bet against Jordan's Bulls in Game 7 at home? If we call it another 40% shot for a Jazz win (generous again, IMO), we're talking a 16% chance the Bulls lose the series if Kerr misses the shot.

Not likely.

Kerr didn't bail MJ out, he simply executed the inevitable (with a double assist from Jordan).

What about Bron's game? Again, the shot goes in with around 5 seconds to play (5.2 in this case). Had Allen's shot missed Miami would have had time to get of another shot assuming they a) got the offensive rebound and b) handled it cleanly, dribbled/passed to the 3 point line in time. According to 82games, offenses get the rebounds 28.5% of the time on jumpers. I'd assume that's a bit higher on 3 pointers but I can't find the data. Let's say 1/3 shot at the rebound. We'll assume they handle it cleanly and get a shot off. Miami shot 39.6% from three that year. I suppose a more rigorous study would get the percentages of the 5 on the floor at that time, but I don't care badly enough to math that hard for this. We'll call it a 40% chance they hit the shot, leaving us with a 13% chance Miami gets the rebound and hits the shot. And that's without factoring in the chances someone gets fouled on the rebound or doesn't understand the game situation and takes a 2 or can't make the pass in time or the pass is stolen or a myriad of other unlikely but possible scenarios that would eat deeply into that 13%.

And as we all know, if the 87% chance happens, and Miami doesn't hit a 3 there to tie it up the game, and series is over.

Allen absolutely bailed LeBron out. Without his shot (which LeBron didn't help), Miami goes home. Kerr got help from MJ, but MJ didn't need Kerr to hit the shot to likely win the series anyway.

Fuck LeBron for making me defend Jordan (whom I hate). And fuck you for making me defend BTP.

FYFMFE
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Doogles said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Jordan rules.

Study up new fish!
    Yikes. I hate to do this because you've always been one of my favorite, classy poasters, but this is an awful comparison so here goes.

First the obvious - Jordan predicted to his teammate (Kerr) that there'd be a double team and if there was that Kerr would need to be ready to hit the shot. Jordan got an assist on the stat sheet but more importantly he actually foresaw the events and had his teammate prepared to capitalize.

LeBron, OTOH, bricked his shot, needed a teammate (Bosh) to pull the bored, who then assisted another teammate (Allen) who hit the shot.

Jordan was an integral part of his "bailout", whereas LeBron actually missed his shot and needed multiple teammates to pick him up.

Advantage Michael.

But wait, there's more. Let's assume for a moment that neither MJ and LeBron got "bailed out" - both of their teammates miss these big shots. What happens? In the Bulls-Jazz game Kerr's shot went through with 5.0 seconds left on the clock. In MJ's case the game was tied. Had Kerr's shot have missed, maybe Utah gets a game winner of their own but that feels unlikely since they didn't score after Kerr's bucket. Realistically we're talking overtime in this instance. Who you betting on in overtime in Chicago? Conservatively we can say Utah has a 40% shot at winning in that situation (I'm being very generous). And if Utah somehow pulled that off, it would have only evened the series and Game 7 was also going to be in Chicago. You think anyone would have bet against Jordan's Bulls in Game 7 at home? If we call it another 40% shot for a Jazz win (generous again, IMO), we're talking a 16% chance the Bulls lose the series if Kerr misses the shot.

Not likely.

Kerr didn't bail MJ out, he simply executed the inevitable (with a double assist from Jordan).

What about Bron's game? Again, the shot goes in with around 5 seconds to play (5.2 in this case). Had Allen's shot missed Miami would have had time to get of another shot assuming they a) got the offensive rebound and b) handled it cleanly, dribbled/passed to the 3 point line in time. According to 82games, offenses get the rebounds 28.5% of the time on jumpers. I'd assume that's a bit higher on 3 pointers but I can't find the data. Let's say 1/3 shot at the rebound. We'll assume they handle it cleanly and get a shot off. Miami shot 39.6% from three that year. I suppose a more rigorous study would get the percentages of the 5 on the floor at that time, but I don't care badly enough to math that hard for this. We'll call it a 40% chance they hit the shot, leaving us with a 13% chance Miami gets the rebound and hits the shot. And that's without factoring in the chances someone gets fouled on the rebound or doesn't understand the game situation and takes a 2 or can't make the pass in time or the pass is stolen or a myriad of other unlikely but possible scenarios that would eat deeply into that 13%.

And as we all know, if the 87% chance happens, and Miami doesn't hit a 3 there to tie it up the game, and series is over.

Allen absolutely bailed LeBron out. Without his shot (which LeBron didn't help), Miami goes home. Kerr got help from MJ, but MJ didn't need Kerr to hit the shot to likely win the series anyway.

Fuck LeBron for making me defend Jordan (whom I hate). And fuck you for making me defend BTP.

FYFMFE
    My comment was more satirical than anything, but either way, hurtful.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Lebron already beat GS in Game 7 on the road coming back from 1-3

*-Kyrie Irving
  • Options

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Jordan rules.

I agree it's Jordan. But Steve Kerr and Jim Paxson did hit game winners in 2 of MJ's championships.
  • Options

Take away those 4 80 yard TD runs and our rush defense played really well
    Held them to 2.3 yards per carry. In fact when our defense doesn't give up the big run, they're actually pretty stout against it.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,471
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Doogles said:

Gladstone said:

Gladstone said:

Jordan rules.

Study up new fish!
    Yes Kerr and Paxton. But, MJ hit a lot more important clutch shots in the playoffs than Lebron.
    You weren't even alive to watch him play.