Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Laura Ingraham displays her vast knowledge of the first amendment

2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Someone should tell her she works for a private business and is supported by ads from businesses. And her boss has the right to tell her to take a week off and her advertisers have the right to spend their ad dollars where they choose.

In a segment that focused on free speech, Ingraham told viewers that “something alarming is taking place.” The “intolerant left” has driven out “any dissenting voice,” leading to a “contraction of free speech,” Ingraham argued. She called the phenomenon the “totalitarian agenda in action,” noting that the “free speech clause of the Constitution doesn’t just apply to speech that elites deem acceptable.”

“It exists to support speech that is by its nature offensive. Offensive to people in power, offensive at times to lawmakers, offensive to Facebook, and even offensive to the cool crowd that thinks that abortion is just a sacred right and that Trump is a dangerous dictator,” Ingraham continued.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/laura-ingraham-blasts-left-apos-091823468.html

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,097
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    She didn't say anything about the first amendment

Free speech is a concept that can exist separate from the government. What she is saying about the left is accurate of course. Visit a campus or hang out on facebook
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

She didn't say anything about the first amendment

Free speech is a concept that can exist separate from the government. What she is saying about the left is accurate of course. Visit a campus or hang out on facebook

What did she mean when she said "free speech clause of the Constitution"? I didn't even comment about how the free speech clause is not even in the Constitution. It's in the bill of rights.

All I see on Facebook are posts about the government coming to take our guns. HTH
    edited April 2018

She's basically saying that the left is driving out free speech from a social standpoint. Which is absolutely true.

The first amendment is free speech without the persecution of the federal government, but I'm sure you already know that. The first amendment does not protect you from the social consequences from your speech, which I'm sure you already know that. The left has used social outcries as a tool to thwart free speech that defers from them on a public forum. The far left is a minority group but they are the loudest and have a far wider media outlet.

You act like the left has a monopoly on using social outcries as a tool to thwart free speech. And no, the extreme on both sides have a wide media reach. Think how many people get their news from Facebook and Twitter.

Both sides are fucked up in that manner.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2018
    2001400ex said:

She's basically saying that the left is driving out free speech from a social standpoint. Which is absolutely true.

The first amendment is free speech without the persecution of the federal government, but I'm sure you already know that. The first amendment does not protect you from the social consequences from your speech, which I'm sure you already know that. The left has used social outcries as a tool to thwart free speech that defers from them on a public forum. The far left is a minority group but they are the loudest and have a far wider media outlet.

You act like the left has a monopoly on using social outcries as a tool to thwart free speech. And no, the extreme on both sides have a wide media reach. Think how many people get their news from Facebook and Twitter.

I agree that both extremes are wack jobs. But conservatives have fox news, while the left has msnbc, cnn, and talk shows like the view on major brodcasting channels. The left has a wider reach.

2001400ex said:

I agree that both extremes are wack jobs. But conservatives have fox news, while the left has msnbc, cnn, and talk shows like the view on major brodcasting channels. The left has a wider reach.
    The reach is the same for each. You think the farmer in Iowa watches TV news? No they listen to the radio, which is dominated by conservative radio.

Media is not confined to just TV. In any way whatsoever. That's why I chuckle when people bitch about the "liberal media". So many people get their news from brietbart just like many people get their news from Huffington Post. It's all bullshit, just different sides. And maybe I have the wrong friends, but 90% of what I see on FB is conservative.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited April 2018
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

The reach is the same for each. You think the farmer in Iowa watches TV news? No they listen to the radio, which is dominated by conservative radio.

Media is not confined to just TV. In any way whatsoever. That's why I chuckle when people bitch about the "liberal media". So many people get their news from brietbart just like many people get their news from Huffington Post. It's all bullshit, just different sides. And maybe I have the wrong friends, but 90% of what I see on FB is conservative.
    What’s NPR?

And your FB ads are generated largely because of who your fiends are.

You can actually check your setting preferences to see how Facebook thinks you lean politically. This can impact your ads as well.

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

What’s NPR?

You can actually check your setting preferences to see how Facebook thinks you lean politically. This can impact your ads as well.
    NPR is fairly middle of the road, certainly isn't the opposite of Rush.

Actually I'm not talking about ads. The ads I see are mostly for 18 year old Honda quads.

I'm talking about posts my friends share. Although most of my friends are from Montana, Port orchard and Spokane, which clearly aren't exactly liberal hotbeds.
    Why did Race exit this conservation?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Because your stupid

Because your stupid

Keep talking about the free speech clause in the Constitution.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,529
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    "I didn't even comment about how the free speech clause is not even in the Constitution. It's in the bill of rights."

@2001400ex I guess I must be stoopid, I always thought the Bill of Rights were amendments to the Constitution - but now I am finding that they are just out there not attached to anything
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

Because your stupid

Keep talking about the free speech clause in the Constitution.
    Since I didn't your reply only makes it more obvious how stupid you are
    LebamDawg said:

"I didn't even comment about how the free speech clause is not even in the Constitution. It's in the bill of rights."

@2001400ex I guess I must be stoopid, I always thought the Bill of Rights were amendments to the Constitution - but now I am finding that they are just out there not attached to anything

That's what you are going to comment on? Not the fact that the first amendment doesn't cover private businesses.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,529
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2001400ex said:

LebamDawg said:

That's what you are going to comment on? Not the fact that the first amendment doesn't cover private businesses.
    I know it doesn't apply to private enterprise - but it appeared you did not know it was in the Constitution as an amendment
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited April 2018
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

What’s NPR?

Actually I'm not talking about ads. The ads I see are mostly for 18 year old Honda Hondo quads.

I'm talking about posts my friends share. Although most of my friends are from Montana, Port orchard and Spokane, which clearly aren't exactly liberal hotbeds.
    What your friends on the far left better start wrapping their heads around is that the people in this country have reached the limit of what they will tolerate from these nut jobs.
    The philosophy of the far left needs to be eradicated as soon as possible. Doesn't take a genius to see it's a threat to democracy, free speech, and every other value the US was founded on. We do this by WINNING BIGLY, by dismantling the propaganda machine in the education system that's churning out future shitheads who don't share those values, by encouraging those on the left like the girl in Stalin's video to break free and join our side -- not the right side or the left side, but the American side.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,738
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited April 2018

2001400ex said:

Selective.

Surf the internet sometime. My mother-in-law gets her information from The Federalist Paper's facebook Memes. Sorry, numbers is right on this point. If you think the left is just a few dufus hipsters and some academics and movie makers, you're as out of touch as you accuse them of being. And if you think that Fox news is the only outlet for tin foil hat wearing, xenophonic, reactionary, redneck simpletons, again, you're out of touch.

He's also right about the 1st amendment: she's the one who brought in the constitution. Not numbers. Trust me, Laura is a smart gal. She's Dartmouth educated and doesn't struggle with language like Sledog and his kids. If she said "constitution" and "free speech" in the same sentence, that's what she meant.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,738
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

What’s NPR?

Actually I'm not talking about ads. The ads I see are mostly for 18 year old Honda Hondo quads.

What your friends on the far left better start wrapping their heads around is that the people in this country have reached the limit of what they will tolerate from these nut jobs.
    No doubt about that. But in terms of the basic numbers of who thinks what, I guess that remains to be seen in the next election. I'm not sure of much, but I'm confident that there will be far fewer armchair non-voting quarterbacks this time around - both sides.

2001400ex said:

Selective.

Surf the internet sometime. My mother-in-law gets her information from The Federalist Paper's facebook Memes. Sorry, numbers is right on this point. If you think the left is just a few dufus hipsters and some academics and movie makers, you're as out of touch as you accuse them of being. And if you think that Fox news is the only outlet for tin foil hat wearing, xenophonic, reactionary, redneck simpletons, again, you're out of touch.
    You're out of touch Cog. Even the most rudimentary simpleton can see the fascist left is deeply embedded in the media and political establishment in just about every western country, while conservatism has been marginalized in part by the shrill screeches from the left, from jackasses like Boobs and others who have been brainwashed by them, to paint any thought or action outside the leftist echo chamber as racist, sexist, homophobic. When in reality all three of those things the left are guilty of in spades.