Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Looks like we are bringing back the fullback

Comments

• LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,099
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    In case anyone was wondering

And Brandon Wellington isn’t doing anything
  • Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,288
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I hear the players are very intrigued
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 3,967
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Is p.salm looking to get into coaching?
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Are we going to throw forty yards sideways to the fullback -- because nobody ever covers the fullback?
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,876
    Standard Supporter

Are we going to throw forty yards sideways to the fullback -- because nobody ever covers the fullback?

I remember that play from the Sark days. Other teams would ro it to us and get 8 yards a play because they'd have 2 blockers out in front. Then we'd try it and get dropped for a 5 yard loss because no one blocked.

I wonder if Sark has figured that one out yet
    Founders Club
    edited April 2018

I remember that play from the Sark days. Other teams would ro it to us and get 8 yards a play because they'd have 2 blockers out in front. Then we'd try it and get dropped for a 5 yard loss because no one blocked.

It is actually a long-standing joke and a reference to the 1993 Ohio State game. The joke was coined by Race on the old podcast. Lambo's OC (Linnehan?) kept calling for Pickett to throw toward the sideline to the fullback and Ohio State kept coming close to picking it off.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2018
    uzi said:
    It's called Law and Jusstis!! Fuck that...'social Jusstis warrior' has a better ring. Anybody?
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

It is actually a long-standing joke and a reference to the 1993 Ohio State game. The joke was coined by Race on the old podcast. Lambo's OC (Linnehan?) kept calling for Pickett to throw toward the sideline to the fullback and Ohio State kept coming close to picking it off.
    Pickett was like 11 in 1993.
  • uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    edited April 2018
    2001400ex said:

Pickett was like 11 in 1993.
    I'm also curious if the internet even existed yet in 1993. Though, according to this wiki page on the old Lynx browser (the original internet browser, and all text based), it started development in 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_(web_browser)
    edited April 2018

I think you mean the ‘03 game vs Ohio State.
    Which would have meant Gilbertson (not Lambo) and John Pettas (not Linnehan), but otherwise, it was a great historical recap of where the long standing joke came from. Though, I'm really starting to wonder if it really involved Pickett and even involved tOSU?
    Founders Club
    uzi said:

Which would have meant Gilbertson (not Lambo) and John Pettas (not Linnehan), but otherwise, it was a great historical recap of where the long standing joke came from. Though, I'm really starting to wonder if it really involved Pickett and even involved tOSU?
    It was Gilby and Pettas in '03. My bad.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,484
    Founders Club
    I want to see the full house backfield that Don James ran in the mid 80's. Any other way of using a full back is bullshit.

No, I didn't Google that Pumpy, you futtbucker.
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

I want to see the full house backfield that Don James ran in the mid 80's. Any other way of using a full back is bullshit.

Yes, cutting edge offense! Hopefully they implement wedge blocking and the spin series as well.

Seeing Browning execute a jump pass would be pure gold as well.
    Question for some of you that were more tuned in than I was in the mid 80s to 91. I have read that Don James was being pressured to adopt a more innovative offense, and was pressured to bring in Gilby to replace Pinkel. Is that how you'd describe how Gilby ended up as the OC at UW under James?

I don't recall where I read it, maybe on the internet back in 1993.
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    uzi said:

Question for some of you that were more tuned in than I was in the mid 80s to 91. I have read that Don James was being pressured to adopt a more innovative offense, and was pressured to bring in Gilby to replace Pinkel. Is that how you'd describe how Gilby ended up as the OC at UW under James?

I don't recall where I read it, maybe on the internet back in 1993.

Don’t have any inside info on whether James was pressured by boosters or not, but I imagine he was. Pinkel was the OC for several years and was extremely traditional and conservative, which may have been because of James’ preference for that approach.

Gilbertson came in as the OL coach in’89 and brought with him the one back offense, which based out of 11 personnel. That was pretty wide open and cutting edge at the time. I was a freshman in ‘88 and the offense that year was straight garbage. It was greatly improved in ‘89 and then again in ‘90. Pinkel left after that and Gilby took over for ‘91, I think.
    edited April 2018

Tardo. Pete has used a fullback most every series at BSU AND UW. Just because he doesnt wear #44 and sport a neckroll out I formation doesnt mean he's not a fullback. Now toss off

uzi said:

It was Gilby and Pettas in '03. My bad.
    Sheesh Derrk...comon!!!