Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jake Browning needs a new favorite receiver. It might be Aaron Fuller

13»

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    The BTE and WTE have really good hands, hopefully bush realizes wtf is going on
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I hate everything about our program.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Forget having a favorite target. Throw the fucking ball to the open guy who has the best chance to make an impact play or get the necessary yardage.

Problem was brownsox locked in to his favorite receiver and forgot his other option. I hope this gets fixed
    It is a problem, and tends to be one on every team with a shaky offense that emphasizes the pass too much. I remember wanting to gouge my eyes out watching Pickett lock on to Reggie in the second half of many losing games, long after the other defense had figured out how to neutralize him.

It didn't work then and *we* don't even have anyone like Williams now. No time for the QB to play favorites unless someone like Jones emerges as a dominant force, probably not even then. There's going to be enough good athletes out there, especially if the young guys surpass the Pease crew, that someone good will be open
    Emphasizes pass too much? Mora might disagree with that assertion
    AIRWOLF said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Forget having a favorite target. Throw the fucking ball to the open guy who has the best chance to make an impact play or get the necessary yardage.

Problem was brownsox locked in to his favorite receiver and forgot his other option. I hope this gets fixed
    It is a problem, and tends to be one on every team with a shaky offense that emphasizes the pass too much. I remember wanting to gouge my eyes out watching Pickett lock on to Reggie in the second half of many losing games, long after the other defense had figured out how to neutralize him.

It didn't work then and *we* don't even have anyone like Williams now. No time for the QB to play favorites unless someone like Jones emerges as a dominant force, probably not even then. There's going to be enough good athletes out there, especially if the young guys surpass the Pease crew, that someone good will be open
    That's all true and well and good, except I don't really think Browning is very good at working through progressions in a quick and effective manner. He also lacks the arm strength, release, and anticipation to consistently hit guys who are just a little open. He needs guys to be OPEN.

He seems to be pretty decent pre-snap, but if things don't evolve the way he expects once the ball is snapped, he tends to get a bit of vapor lock and hold onto the ball a long time. At which point somebody either comes clearly open, he gets sacked, or he goes into one of his tragic impressions of Russell Wilson, which ends in either total disaster or (occasionally) an ugly but successful play.

And this explains, neatly, I think why he ends up having a favorite receiver. It is the guy that can get open immediately based on the pre-snap read, or who gains separation soon after Browning figures out that he can't throw it to his primary read.

The attention Ross demanded in 2016 made the whole thing work nicely, especially since Pettis was a very good receiver in his own right that season. Last season, it was just Pettis and he didn't scare defenses enough to create those opportunities for everybody else as consistently as Ross did. And the "everybody else" was pretty slim pickings, especially after Bryant went down.

The bottom line is that the running game needs to shoulder the load and Fuller and the other receivers need to step up a lot, or the offense is going to remain a frustrating mess against decent defenses.
    Running game has shouldered load a plenty dude. Fuck man, Jake needs time and a fucking WR who can get out break vs press to be 'a little open'.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

AIRWOLF said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

That's all true and well and good, except I don't really think Browning is very good at working through progressions in a quick and effective manner. He also lacks the arm strength, release, and anticipation to consistently hit guys who are just a little open. He needs guys to be OPEN.

He seems to be pretty decent pre-snap, but if things don't evolve the way he expects once the ball is snapped, he tends to get a bit of vapor lock and hold onto the ball a long time. At which point somebody either comes clearly open, he gets sacked, or he goes into one of his tragic impressions of Russell Wilson, which ends in either total disaster or (occasionally) an ugly but successful play.

And this explains, neatly, I think why he ends up having a favorite receiver. It is the guy that can get open immediately based on the pre-snap read, or who gains separation soon after Browning figures out that he can't throw it to his primary read.

The attention Ross demanded in 2016 made the whole thing work nicely, especially since Pettis was a very good receiver in his own right that season. Last season, it was just Pettis and he didn't scare defenses enough to create those opportunities for everybody else as consistently as Ross did. And the "everybody else" was pretty slim pickings, especially after Bryant went down.

The bottom line is that the running game needs to shoulder the load and Fuller and the other receivers need to step up a lot, or the offense is going to remain a frustrating mess against decent defenses.
    Running game has shouldered load a plenty dude. Fuck man, Jake needs time and a fucking WR who can get out break vs press to be 'a little open'.
    Learn the difference between Time to throw and target and release.

Instead of stepping up into a well formed pocket, Browning, tucks, spins, and retreats.

Not to be confused with scrambling Russ Wilson, Browning sucks doing this.

Outside of Bama and obvious passing downs against SC in 16, JB has had plenty of time to throw.

In 2017, Beyond Pettis, Fuller and Dissly were real options. Browning often failed to deliver.

edited April 2018
    Well formed pocket last year? Do you watch husky football or just read dawgman recaps? 42tds, playoff... hard to step up into your well formed pocket when dissly is blocking and Fuller is on his knees watching his corner run his rout for him for a pick
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Well formed pocket last year? Do you watch husky football or just read dawgman recaps? 42tds, playoff... hard to step up into your well formed pocket when dissly is blocking and Fuller is on his knees watching his corner run his rout for him for a pick

Browning threw 19 td in ‘17. Sounds like the accuracy of Dawgman stats is commensurate with their insider information.
    Baseman said:

Browning threw 19 td in ‘17. Sounds like the accuracy of Dawgman stats is commensurate with their insider information.
    Uh dummy (cant respect elder on this one), pull head out giner