Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fun with tariffs...China edition...

HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
China responded to the $50 billion in tariffs from Trump with $3billion in tariffs on pork and fruit (Yahoo reference for comedy...).
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-imposing-tariffs-us-meat-fruit-other-products-200629692--finance.html

If you need help seeing the added comedy in this response this might help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield_Foods

Founded in 1936 as the Smithfield Packing Company in Smithfield, Virginia, by Joseph W. Luter and his son, the company is the largest pig and pork producer in the world.[3]
Then known as Shuanghui Group, WH Group purchased Smithfield Foods in 2013 for $4.72 billion, more than its market value.[7] It was the largest Chinese acquisition of an American company to date.[8] The acquisition of Smithfield's 146,000 acres of land made WH Group, headquartered in Luohe, Henan province, one of the largest overseas owners of American farmland.[9]

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,709
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I don't usually buy Smithfield and I'll make sure I never do!
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    2001400ex said:

It's all a negotiating ploy. Art of the deal.
    You've grown stale.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Actually if you look at the list its very telling...in order to get to $50 billion they are pretty desperate to find anything to put on the list because the trade balance is so out-of-wack with them. Its a long list because the $$ amounts on most of the stuff is pretty small. For 2017 we exported $130 billion to them (how much owned by Chinese firms...aka pork being a good example?) and imported $506 billion from them (https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html). If they are going to try and match $ for $ they are going to run out of room pretty soon...

On top of that the stuff that is significant $$$ screws them as bad as it does us. As an example look at soybeans...they have no option but to buy from us. Just isn't enough supply out there. They can put a tariff on it, but all that does is drive up food prices there which hits their population a lot harder than it does ours.

• Options

Actually if you look at the list its very telling...in order to get to $50 billion they are pretty desperate to find anything to put on the list because the trade balance is so out-of-wack with them. Its a long list because the $$ amounts on most of the stuff is pretty small. For 2017 we exported $130 billion to them (how much owned by Chinese firms...aka pork being a good example?) and imported $506 billion from them (https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html). If they are going to try and match $ for $ they are going to run out of room pretty soon...

On top of that the stuff that is significant $$$ screws them as bad as it does us. As an example look at soybeans...they have no option but to buy from us. Just isn't enough supply out there. They can put a tariff on it, but all that does is drive up food prices there which hits their population a lot harder than it does ours.

A lot of words to then actually agree the tariffs are fucktarded. But you won't actually come out and say it.

Shill
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    God you are fucking moron. Like Huuge, as Trump would say.

Tariffs between equal or even similar trading partners suck.

Helpful hint...US trade to China is not equal or even similar to China trade to the US. Add to that all of the intellectual property theft, regulations on investments, etc. They declared a trade war on us years and years ago...we just decided to kick back a little. We haven't come even close to responding in kind, and I doubt we ever will.

Tariffs suck, but letting the status quo continue on and get worse sucks even more. Its not a difficult concept for anyone to at least understand (agree or disagree)...unless of course you are HondoFS.

You ought to go back to your stick figure drawings...they are more in line with your level of understanding of things...
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Helpful hint...US trade to China is not equal or even similar to China trade to the US. Add to that all of the intellectual property theft, regulations on investments, etc. They declared a trade war on us years and years ago...we just decided to kick back a little. We haven't come even close to responding in kind, and I doubt we ever will.

Tariffs suck, but letting the status quo continue on and get worse sucks even more. Its not a difficult concept for anyone to at least understand (agree or disagree)...unless of course you are HondoFS.

You ought to go back to your stick figure drawings...they are more in line with your level of understanding of things...

And yet it's a consensus among economists that tariffs are a race to the bottom. What an enigma.
  • Options

Trump said we had the best economy ever just a month ago. We were booming from the tax cuts. But now the status quo sucked? What exactly was wrong with our economy where tariffs were necessary?
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

Trump said we had the best economy ever just a month ago. We were booming from the tax cuts. But now the status quo sucked? What exactly was wrong with our economy where tariffs were necessary?
    What the holy hell are you rambling about now? I’m guessing you are too stupid to realize you just changed topics...probably because you don’t have a clue on the one we are currently on.
  • Options

And yet it's a consensus among economists that tariffs are a race to the bottom. What an enigma.
    Have you seen the trade imbalance we have with China? We are already at the bottom.
  • Options

Have you seen the trade imbalance we have with China? We are already at the bottom.
    Who gives a fuck if we have a trade imbalance? Explain why we have to be trade neutral with countries.
  • Options

2001400ex said:

What the holy hell are you rambling about now? I’m guessing you are too stupid to realize you just changed topics...probably because you don’t have a clue on the one we are currently on.
    Read your quote. Then correlate it with what your hero said. I'm sorry you don't get it, but it's a simple concept. That you are pressing hard to defend. Cause Trump is your master and you must follow him.
  • Options
    Hey look...a double reply from HondoFS because he's too fucking stupid to summarize anything.

Reply 1) If its just an imbalance no one should care...right now it is structurally economic theft.
    Fair Trade:
    'You are better at some things, we are better at some. Lets trade on the things each of us is better at right now to maximize those efficiencies.'

Our trade with China:
    'China - we are better at these things, some structural and some because the our govt subsidizes it to make us better so we'll trade you those things. Its not fair that you are better at these things, so we won't let your companies own or in many cases even sell those things unless you give us the technology. On top of that because its not fair we'll state sponsor intellectual property theft and we as the Chinese gov't will subsidize building those industries from scratch so that you won't stay better at those by 2025'.

HondoFS...its that mentality as to why you are always the catcher.

Reply 2) The US GDP is something like $20 trillion dollars. Or better said for your limited cognitive abilities $20,000 billion dollars in 2017. We are talking about $130 billion in US exports to China in 2017. If from that you can't see why your comments are Really Fucking Stupid nobody can help you.

I'm the only one talking policy...you just keep screaming, ignoring, and asking FS questions. And I'm guessing it won't stop anytime soon...

• Options

Hey look...a double reply from HondoFS because he's too fucking stupid to summarize anything.

Reply 1) If its just an imbalance no one should care...right now it is structurally economic theft.
    Fair Trade:
    'You are better at some things, we are better at some. Lets trade on the things each of us is better at right now to maximize those efficiencies.'

Our trade with China:
    'China - we are better at these things, some structural and some because the our govt subsidizes it to make us better so we'll trade you those things. Its not fair that you are better at these things, so we won't let your companies own or in many cases even sell those things unless you give us the technology. On top of that because its not fair we'll state sponsor intellectual property theft and we as the Chinese gov't will subsidize building those industries from scratch so that you won't stay better at those by 2025'.

Reply 2) The US GDP is something like $20 trillion dollars. Or better said for your limited cognitive abilities $20,000 billion dollars in 2017. We are talking about $130 billion in US exports to China in 2017. If from that you can't see why your comments are Really Fucking Stupid nobody can help you.

I'm the only one talking policy...you just keep screaming, ignoring, and asking FS questions. And I'm guessing it won't stop anytime soon...

I don't have time for a tldr post from my phone at work. But I do chuckle at your points. You do point out that $130 billion is immaterial. If that's immaterial, then the $350 billion total trade deficit in immaterial, to the $20,000 billion GDP, as you put it.

Our trade deficit with China is largely because they don't give a shit about their environment and their labor is cheap. Tariffs won't change that. I also chuckle tho when your contend that the trade deficit is because the Chinese government subsidizes their shitty products. If that were true, that's fine, let their government pay for it.

Fuck you truly do have your head up Trump's ass. You'll say anything to justify his fucktarded actions.
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

Fair Trade:

Our trade with China:

I don't have time for a tldr post from my phone at work. But I do chuckle at your points. You do point out that $130 billion is immaterial. If that's immaterial, then the $350 billion total trade deficit in immaterial, to the $20,000 billion GDP, as you put it.

Our trade deficit with China is largely because they don't give a shit about their environment and their labor is cheap. Tariffs won't change that. I also chuckle tho when your contend that the trade deficit is because the Chinese government subsidizes their shitty products. If that were true, that's fine, let their government pay for it.

Fuck you truly do have your head up Trump's ass. You'll say anything to justify his fucktarded actions.
    Your phone doesn't cover up the fact that you are a fucking moron. Read up on China 2025 and get back to me. Or not and spew more ignorant shit.

A few of the millions of articles out there...
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/business/made-in-china-technology-trade.html
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/07/technology/china-tech-lead-us-trump/index.html
    http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2017-10/21/content_33529649.htm
    etc...etc...

HondoFS...

• Options

2001400ex said:

Fair Trade:

Our trade with China:

Your phone doesn't cover up the fact that you are a fucking moron. Read up on China 2025 and get back to me. Or not and spew more ignorant shit.

etc...etc...

HondoFS...

They have a plan to invest in technology. Cool. And America doesn't? You sound scared.
  • Options
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Fair Trade:

Our trade with China:

etc...etc...

HondoFS...

They have a plan to invest in technology. Cool. And America doesn't? You sound scared.
    Invest? Reading is hard.

HondoRFS...
  • Options
    Good interview (amazing to say for CNBC...) some more background on the thoughts behind the US' current actions:

https://youtu.be/nIquJ7HT9jY