Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Home Theater / Audio Setup Recommendations

I just got a new place and it’s time to upgrade my home theater / audio set up. Any recommendations?

https://youtu.be/EAyJmIXcyMg

Comments

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited March 2018
    Lots

Go to avsforum.com for some great info but I can help if you have specific questions.

75” Samsung 4K tv
    Denon x3300w AVR
    Klipsch 7.1 Atmos enabled speaker system
    Roku Premier+ & NVIDIA Shield media players
    DIRECTV 4K DVR

Tell me what u want to know
  • CougzzCougzz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 276
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good tip on the avsforum.com site.

55” LG OLED
    5.1 SONOS surround with:
    Playbase
    Subwoofer
    Play 1 (2)
    Boost
    Apple TV
    DISH DVR

Expensive, but almost fool-proof.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I will only give advice if you let me in to do the set up. I will wear saran wrap and a speedo.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I will only give advice if you let me in to do the set up. I will wear saran wrap and a speedo.

Well that’s a fair trade off.

I’d PM you my address but you probably already have that information.

It's only stalking if you are ugly

Otherwise it's just a serendipitous coincidence

Or a John Cusack movie
    https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/460179/

TL;DR - Lloyd Dobler was a stalker.

https://local.theonion.com/romantic-comedy-behavior-gets-real-life-man-arrested-1819565117
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Or a John Cusack movie

https://local.theonion.com/romantic-comedy-behavior-gets-real-life-man-arrested-1819565117

My only issue is them having a problem with learning just enough of a school subject to tutor a hot girl.

That's a classic move that will never go out of style!
    Standard Supporter

Fucking finance it!!

@YellowSnow you must have a set of Dominator MX speakers!

In all seriousness, what kind of set up do you have? I want the bored’s resident audiophile to weigh in.
    Standard Supporter

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Or a John Cusack movie

My only issue is them having a problem with learning just enough of a school subject to tutor a hot girl.

That's a classic move that will never go out of style!
    Yeah, that seemed a little nitpicky on the author’s part.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I threw a beer at my tv when wsu got the 5th down against us 2 years ago and scored. So the volume broke and I got a shitty sound bar.

Then I got a new TV.

I take the sound bar on the patio and lean it up against the wall and stream music to it over Bluetooth.

It gets rained on once a year.

I'm assuming that yellow snow has a better setup than this.

• DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    For a simple setup with damn good sound, look at soundbars. Klipsch has some really good stuff. Wireless mount on the wall underneath the TV and it looks clean and sounds great.

If you're going from TV speakers to something else this is a great step. Something tells me these guys are going to try to get you to buy a 10k setup. If you're just branching out get a legit soundbar for 300-1000 and away we go...
    Standard Supporter
    Doogles said:

For a simple setup with damn good sound, look at soundbars. Klipsch has some really good stuff. Wireless mount on the wall underneath the TV and it looks clean and sounds great.

If you're going from TV speakers to something else this is a great step. Something tells me these guys are going to try to get you to buy a 10k setup. If you're just branching out get a legit soundbar for 300-1000 and away we go...

I don’t mind paying top dollar if it makes sense. But you’re right @Doogles, going straight from TV speakers to anything else is probably going to sound a lot better, so I can probably save some money there.

So keep the recommendations coming.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

I don’t mind paying top dollar if it makes sense. But you’re right @Doogles, going straight from TV speakers to anything else is probably going to sound a lot better, so I can probably save some money there.

So keep the recommendations coming.
    Go to your local bestbuy, check out the soundbar setups, find one you like, price check it on amazon, and purchase.

Here's a link to some options: https://www.techradar.com/news/audio/home-cinema-audio/tr-top-10-best-soundbars-1288008
    Founders Club
    If you want a super simple setup that is still unreal for the money, get yourself two SVS PB-2000 subwoofers (about $1500 or so), and a Yamaha YSP-5600 Soundbar (roughly $1700). This is the exact set up I have and that soundbar is the best you can get for under 5 grand imo. It is unreal for a soundbar, and even tricks the ear by bouncing sound off walls to give a really impressive fake surround sound. Nothing like it for the money - and you don't have wires and shit going all over the room. And two SVS PB-2000's will absolutely rattle the windows in your house. These subs are not Best Buy Magnolia room stuff - they are far beyond it and absolutely crushing but precise base. For around 3 grand you can have a super simple but really effective system. Sure, 7-8 grand tower based full surround sound systems are better, but they aren't near twice as good - but they are over twice as expensive.

My 2 coppers.
    Founders Club
    I shoudl also mention all of the stuff I mentioned is self powered, and with very good amps. So, no amp needed. Just run the cable connection into the sound bar, and sound bar to TV. Sound bar direct connects to the subs (must buy a splitter), and then you are off. 4 HDMI inputs on the Yamaha as well for blu ray, XBOX, whatever.

Killer set up for the money, and will melt your ears with no distortion. I didn't believe a sound bar could sound like that until I tried it. It's unreal.
    Founders Club
    edited March 2018
    Also the Yamaha supports 4K pass through, so get a 4K TV. Lastly, be aware that those subs weigh about 75 pounds each. Huge. Heavy. Magnets. Bad ass. Makes that shit at Best Buy look and sound like toys.
    Founders Club