Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Favorite Jam Band?

Grateful Dead for sure

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jam bands are all shit. Learn how to write a real song. Talent in music is mostly irrelevant. Nobody gives a shit about your 5 min bongo solo.

Depends on the era of "jam" band. The neo-hippy ones - i.e., Phish, Widespread Panic, Stingcheese, etc. - are generally shit. The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers were legit and great bands. The difference between great and shit as it relates to jam bands is could they write good fucking songs or not. Both the Allman Brothers and Dead were still capable of writing terrific 3 to 5 min tracks that weren't just senseless, self indulgent noodling. The modern era of jam bands...not so much.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Back in the day you'd go to the concert to get the jam. Led Zeppelin wrote pop metal songs of an AM radio length and then you could hear Jimmy solo and Bonham solo live
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And then in later 70's albums Zepp went full self indulgent 8 minute song leading to punk
    Swaye's Wigwam

Back in the day you'd go to the concert to get the jam. Led Zeppelin wrote pop metal songs of an AM radio length and then you could hear Jimmy solo and Bonham solo live

Exactly. Led Zeppelin could Jam with the best of them in concert. Same with Neil Young. 16:00 of Cowgirl in the Sand is where it's at.

Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

The Allman Brothers and The Black Crowes.

For a kid like me who had always struggle to like the newer bands, the Black Crowes were a god send in the 90s. They were the perfect blend of Stones, Faces, Skin-ard, all rolled up into one.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,045
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

The Allman Brothers and The Black Crowes.

For a kid like me who had always struggle to like the newer bands, the Black Crowes were a god send in the 90s. They were the perfect blend of Stones, Faces, Skin-ard, all rolled up into one.
    Yeah I loved 'em for just good time rock and roll.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    I like one live version of Crazy Game of Poker

Thats about as close as I venture into jam band territory
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

Jam bands are all shit. Learn how to write a real song. Talent in music is mostly irrelevant. Nobody gives a shit about your 5 min bongo solo.

Depends on the era of "jam" band. The neo-hippy ones - i.e., Phish, Widespread Panic, Stingcheese, etc. - are generally shit. The Grateful Dead and The Allman Brothers were legit and great bands. The difference between great and shit as it relates to jam bands is could they write good fucking songs or not. Both the Allman Brothers and Dead were still capable of writing terrific 3 to 5 min tracks that weren't just senseless, self indulgent noodling. The modern era of jam bands...not so much.
    You got exactly what current jam bands I was talking about.
    Swaye's Wigwam

You got exactly what current jam bands I was talking about.

Swaye's Wigwam
    pawz said:

Sven and the Harvey Road All-Stars

I wish someone would Free Harv so we could bro out about the Grateful Dead.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Yes - but not sure if they were a jam band or most of their songs were just 8+ minutes long or roundabout that
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited March 2018

I like to take a band purposed for live performance and criticize them for not writing good radio tracks. I do that.
    edited March 2018

You prefer Gagaku?
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2018
    Dardanus said:

I like to take a band purposed for live performance and criticize them for not writing good radio tracks. I do that.
    I like to say jam bands that were both (a) great at writing radio friendly songs AND (b) a great live show are better than jam bands that suck at songwriting. I like to do that.
  • BlastDoorBlastDoor Member Posts: 711
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2018
    Pearl.

but for sure, The Black Crowes are fucking awesome.
    Predictably, Yellow Snow is trying to sideswipe an otherwise lukewarm thread. It's unfortunate, but expected.

At least Race had a solid take. Plus Swaye came with a positive contribution, even with his limited capacity. God bless him for that.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dardanus said:

Predictably, Yellow Snow is trying to sideswipe an otherwise lukewarm thread. It's unfortunate, but expected.

At least Race had a solid take. Plus Swaye came with a positive contribution, even with his limited capacity. God bless him for that.

Defending the OG Jam bands while not being into the newer ones in a jam band thread is sideswiping? I don't follow.