Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The reason Joey Thomas hates UW

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Take the names, places, etc. out of the equation and this scenario takes place all over the place in all walks of life.

How often does it happen in life where either a manager, etc. move on or leaves the company and the replacement isn't someone that doesn't mesh with your views of how to do business? Or a reorganization happens and either the asks of you or the structure isn't conducive to your career path?

None of the above is personal. Whether you're good enough or not as time passes you may or may not be a fit going forward for the role that you signed up for and/or are currently in.

That's not saying that Rick wasn't the precursor to Sark and a guy like Joey Thomas got mismanaged. But that also highlights a massive difference between Pete the culture that he has developed and works hard to maintain versus the what have you done for me lately world that Sark/Slick cultivated. It was not uncommon 20 years ago to hear most of the UW Football team operate under this idea that they all were going to go to the NFL and if that didn't happen that somehow they were wronged. Today, you hear our players talk about how lucky they would be to play professionally while developing off the field in a way that should the NFL not be a long-term reality for them, they have something to fall back on.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

dnc said:

You guys are so fucking stupid.

Just look at Bryce Sterk vs. Joey Thomas. Same shit, different coaches.

We got desperate and offered a local guy we thought probably didn't have enough talent and took him. In Thomas' case it was probably more nefarious because we were using him to help with Paul Arnold.

With Thomas, as soon as he got here and recruiting picked up we SHIT ALL OVER HIM. They told him he sucked. They told him they wanted him to quit. They told him he wasn't good enough. That he was a disgrace, etc. They didn't try to find another place for him, they just completely tried to make him quit.

With Sterk, they gave him a shot and when it became clear he wasn't going to play they went to him and asked if he wanted to play (because it didn't look like he was going to here). If he did, they would try to find him a fit at a school where he would play and be valued.

I wonder which approach works better in the long term... hmmm...

And you shit bags think Joey Thomas is just a bitter guy who quit. You are all fucking morons if you think Joey doesn't have a right to be pissed. And you are all fucking morons if you think we should've treated Sterk that way.

I’m having a hard time seeing the problem with how they treated Sterk. I assume you just said the opposite of what you meant.

Nobody is saying Thomas got a fair shake. He can be a whiny bitch and RN can be a fucking douche who screwed him over. Abundance is an option here.
    That's my fucking point. We treated Sterk the correct way and when he's the coach at Lynden 20 years from now he won't fucking hate us and he will respect Jimmy Lake or whomever the coach is at that point.

What makes him a whiny bitch? The fact that he got fucked over? The fact that we treated him like shit?

Or the fact that he picked himself up, transferred to Montana State and got FUCKING DRAFTED BY THE NFL AND PLAYED IN THE NFL YOU STUPID FUCK?!?!
    None of these things.

The fact he's letting his personal baggage from damn near twenty years and five head coaches ago push his players away from the best place for them.

I don't blame him for being bitter. I don't blame him for hating UW. Those feelings are understandable.

Not being mature enough to keep it from hurting your kids isn't.

He's a whiny bitch.
    Well, you should take to twitter (like I do... BRAVELY I might add) and tweet him how unfair he's being.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Fuck I can’t handle the ups and downs of recruiting
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Passion said:

Meek said:

http://seattlemedium.com/coach-joey-thomas-inspires-youth-totally-optimize-potential/

During his freshmen year at the University of Washington, Thomas thought about quitting football, the game that he has loved since he was a little kid playing for CAYA. But a conversation with his best friend, former UW football player Paul Arnold, got Thomas to refocus and pursue his life’s dream at Montana State University.

“It was a frustrating time for him. He loved football so much and he put everything he had in it,” said Arnold, who also played for UW at the time. “I don’t think it was an ability issue, I think he just didn’t fit into what they were looking for. That probably was the lowest point in his sports career.

According to Thomas, Arnold encouraged him not to “let these folks break your spirit,” and to go somewhere else if he had to but to keep grinding. He went on to play for Montana State, but the impact on his life is something that helps motivate him to encourage his players to keep working and make a way to live out their dreams.

“They broke me,” said Thomas of his time with the UW football program. “They weren’t feeling me and I got no love.”

“To be that broken to feel like I had to quit the game that I loved… that was a huge low point for me,”

there are tens of thousands of players saying this about hundreds of schools. it's unfortunate if this is still a personal issue. even my grandfather, who got shot down in his P51-A Mustang and hauled off to Stalag Luft III in WWII where he had to dig fucking tunnels to get out eventually stopped being pissed at Germans.
    My grandparents lived in German occupied France and watched people get randomly shot and Jews get hauled away.

They hated Germans ‘’til they died.
    I'm trying to think of a nationality that French people don't hate... Coming up blank.
    Certainly not Norwegians. Pretty tough to hate vanilla ice cream, even though it’s plain.
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

http://seattlemedium.com/coach-joey-thomas-inspires-youth-totally-optimize-potential/

During his freshmen year at the University of Washington, Thomas thought about quitting football, the game that he has loved since he was a little kid playing for CAYA. But a conversation with his best friend, former UW football player Paul Arnold, got Thomas to refocus and pursue his life’s dream at Montana State University.

“It was a frustrating time for him. He loved football so much and he put everything he had in it,” said Arnold, who also played for UW at the time. “I don’t think it was an ability issue, I think he just didn’t fit into what they were looking for. That probably was the lowest point in his sports career.

According to Thomas, Arnold encouraged him not to “let these folks break your spirit,” and to go somewhere else if he had to but to keep grinding. He went on to play for Montana State, but the impact on his life is something that helps motivate him to encourage his players to keep working and make a way to live out their dreams.

“They broke me,” said Thomas of his time with the UW football program. “They weren’t feeling me and I got no love.”

“To be that broken to feel like I had to quit the game that I loved… that was a huge low point for me,”

Snowflake POTD
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Also, what sort of grown Man goes by “Joey?”

Christ
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,115
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Black guy with a soft white guy name who doesn’t love UW? What is going on?
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,209
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Passion said:

Passion said:

Meek said:

there are tens of thousands of players saying this about hundreds of schools. it's unfortunate if this is still a personal issue. even my grandfather, who got shot down in his P51-A Mustang and hauled off to Stalag Luft III in WWII where he had to dig fucking tunnels to get out eventually stopped being pissed at Germans.
    My grandparents lived in German occupied France and watched people get randomly shot and Jews get hauled away.

They hated Germans ‘’til they died.
    I'm trying to think of a nationality that French people don't hate... Coming up blank.
    Certainly not Norwegians. Pretty tough to hate vanilla ice cream, even though it’s plain.
    Ask southern Frenchman what they think of Normans and Normandy. #stillbitter