Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

LA Basin Recruiting Map with Fast/Slow Strategy (per Capita Income) Overlay

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,471
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Overlay that with a demographics map.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Useless without overlaying topographic information to see which kids play at altitude....or add a pie chart.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    So where I see big dots are the black neighborhoods?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Swaye said:

Not if they’re in green areas
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,770
    Swaye said:

No, brah. Dots are Mumbai style Indians.

You should know that.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Did we tell their hs coaches to fuck off yet?
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,847
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    At lest Sam Darnold and his boogie board got a little blue dot
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    What is the big red rectangle south of LA but north of Compton/Inglewood? Messicans?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705
    Also, Long Beach Poly FTW. Get your pimp coat on and get in there CP. Fuck those soft nerd Dane Crane looking kids out in Anaheim.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

The problem with this is that so many kids get recruited to play at the rich schools, so its hard to get a real correlation between income and talent. You would somehow have to find the neighborhood every kid is actually from to see the fast/slow strategy distribution. Its also weird that rich private schools like Mater Dei and Bosco are actually in lower income neighborhoods, where I assume most of their students do not live.

Neighborhoods gentrify and degentrify but institutions oftentimes stay put. I don't know anything about the dynamics of Mater Dei and SJB, but I know this is why some of the nicest privates (lol!) in Memphis are in the hood.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

The problem with this is that so many kids get recruited to play at the rich schools, so its hard to get a real correlation between income and talent. You would somehow have to find the neighborhood every kid is actually from to see the fast/slow strategy distribution. Its also weird that rich private schools like Mater Dei and Bosco are actually in lower income neighborhoods, where I assume most of their students do not live.

Hmm. Mater Dei is a rich school in a poor neighborhood. Hmm. Why do their studs always seem to go to USC? Hmm, what is the correlation?
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    dnc said:

Neighborhoods gentrify and degentrify but institutions oftentimes stay put. I don't know anything about the dynamics of Mater Dei and SJB, but I know this is why some of the nicest privates (lol!) in Memphis are in the hood.
    The way gentrification in LA is working is that in ten years the LA versions of backthepack will be claiming they're straight out of Compton or from the LBC. While the fast-strategy kids will have dads with two-to-three hour commutes in places not served by the light rail line.

• Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2018

In pulling up some of the data that I couldn't bulk download I noticed that the tuition levels of the Catholic high schools in the area vary widely. Some of the better football programs are, not surprisingly, at Catholic schools with very low tuition. I think it is fair to assume that they also provide tuition assistance to some especially needy students good football players.

Some of them charge $6,000-$9,000 per year for tuition, which is a level that is at least somewhat accessible to middle income families. Others are in the mid- to high-teens. For reference, tuition at Eastside Catholic is around $30K.