Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What high schools produce the most recruits in the Pac-12 recruiting footprint?

In my continuing quest to prove I have no life whatsoever learn some data analysis skills, I have created a monster table that has tabulated all of the FBS recruits from the states that I consider part of the Pac-12's natural recruiting footprint (CA, WA, OR, ID, UT, AZ, HI, CO).

A few notes:
--The time period I used was '08-'16. I would prefer to have the last two cycles included, but I found easily readable CSV files of older classes online. I am pretty sure the source was Scout. Extracting ALL of the records from the Rivals or 247 databases requires ninja skills I don't yet posses.
--In order to keep the list of High Schools somewhat manageable, I filtered out schools that produced less than 3 recruits over that time frame.
--I am still working on my Tableau skills. Ideally I will create a table that can be drilled down to the individual recruit level and is sortable by star-ranking, etc.

High Schools Producing the Most Recruits in Pac-12 Footprint

Here is the money (screen) shot for California. It includes all high schools that produced double digit recruits over that time frame - averaging out to a minimum of a little over a recruit per cycle.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,150
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good stuff

IE Life
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Oh, forgot to mention that I also included Nevada in the geographical footprint.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,177
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AIRWOLF said:

In my continuing quest to prove I have no life whatsoever learn some data analysis skills, I have created a monster table that has tabulated all of the FBS recruits from the states that I consider part of the Pac-12's natural recruiting footprint (CA, WA, OR, ID, UT, AZ, HI, CO).

A few notes:
    --The time period I used was '08-'16. I would prefer to have the last two cycles included, but I found easily readable CSV files of older classes online. I am pretty sure the source was Scout. Extracting ALL of the records from the Rivals or 247 databases requires ninja skills I don't yet posses.
    --In order to keep the list of High Schools somewhat manageable, I filtered out schools that produced less than 3 recruits over that time frame.
    --I am still working on my Tableau skills. Ideally I will create a table that can be drilled down to the individual recruit level and is sortable by star-ranking, etc.

Here is the money (screen) shot for California. It includes all high schools that produced double digit recruits over that time frame - averaging out to a minimum of a little over a recruit per cycle.

It might be interesting to see what kind of talent they are producing as well. An average rating for each school's recruits or something along those lines.
  • Options

I thought my life was pathetic

I am not arguing, but I would much rather do these tutorials using recruiting data rather than the sales and financial results of a fake bicycle company (that is a real example).
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    AIRWOLF said:

I thought my life was pathetic

I am not arguing, but I would much rather do these tutorials using recruiting data rather than the sales and financial results of a fake bicycle company (that is a real example).
    Fuck you, u just described my fucking job.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Looking at some of it it seems you have 35 Ca. schools who have produced 9(avg 1 per year) or more recruits. Those schools are responsible for producing almost exactly HALF or all the recruits recorded.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

A few notes:

It might be interesting to see what kind of talent they are producing as well. An average rating for each school's recruits or something along those lines.
    I did a quick filter and included only recruits that eventually signed with Pac-12 schools. That filtered out the recruits that signed with Group of 5 schools, but also removed the recruits that got poached by Power 5 level schools from outside of the region.

The biggest takeaway, is that outside of CA there are very few high schools that produce Pac-12 level recruits year in and year out.

Of course we all know this, but looking at the numbers, it is pretty sobering.
    Even more sobering when you consider the average over time means only about 4 schools in that entire sample are producing more than 1 player per year. Someone send this to Kalepo's coach.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,775
    M'eh. The great 1.7 star recruit Stan Empertmann came from an FFA high school on the plains of Eastern Washington. If they can play, it doesn't matter where they are from.

• Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,908
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Bellevue is pretty high up for being in WA. Good thing we started getting their kids. Look for EC to shoot up the charts in coming years
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Any way to sort by which high schools UW has "pipelines" from?

2018 class we signed kids from the following schools that had produced 10 or more recruits over the designated time period:

De la Salle
    Mission Viejo
    Centennial (AZ)

In 2019 we have offers to kids from:

St. John Bosco (5)
    Mater Dei (4)
    Oaks Christian (2)
    Long Beach Poly (2)
    De La Salle (2)
    Lutheran
    Narbonne
    Punahou
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,084
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I’m glad we got a toe hold into East High, SLC. Lotta beef up in thurr.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    Founders Club
    no Woodinville? I demand a recount
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Getting big time recruits from De La Salle, East HS SLC and the state of Nevada were all huge in their own ways. Monumental class.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,431
    Can you do one where you split out schools like USC, UCLA, etc. from schools like Wazzu and OSU?

I'd be curious how schools like USC, Stanford, and others are recruiting outside the Pac-12 footprint versus inside.
  • Options

Any way to sort by which high schools UW has "pipelines" from?

2018 class we signed kids from the following schools that had produced 10 or more recruits over the designated time period:

De la Salle
    Mission Viejo
    Centennial (AZ)

In 2019 we have offers to kids from:

St. John Bosco (5)
    Mater Dei (4)
    Oaks Christian (2)
    Long Beach Poly (2)
    De La Salle (2)
    Lutheran
    Narbonne
    Punahou

I can do this.

Can you do one where you split out schools like USC, UCLA, etc. from schools like Wazzu and OSU?

I'd be curious how schools like USC, Stanford, and others are recruiting outside the Pac-12 footprint versus inside.

I can also do this.

I just need to get away from all the fun projects I have been doing around the house.

It's a hell of a thing when you have more free time on weekdays than on the weekends, but I am married and just moved into a house we remodeled. It cuts into my time spent in the basement.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,438
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Did we tell his hs coach to fuck off yet?