Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

How will the Pac 10 respond?

Lot of capital over there in the Land of China. Maybe we could start a new program of visas in exchange for Chinese bag men.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

We fuct.

Agree. We put on our pimp Tommy Bahama shirt and went down to the luau to fuck.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

How will the Pac 10 respond?

Great women’s tennis analogy as always
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Pete does have a mean streak. Beating Auburn in Atlanta and then going to the sea burning 5 star recruits along the way would be great

I fear Browning is no Sherman.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    This is an issue for UW IF we aren’t expanding our geographic footprint.

What it tells me is that the P12 is going to lose West Coast kids (that has never not been the case). Those schools that can supplement will be fine. Those that rely on the West Coast to drive their recruiting are in big trouble.

This is why it is so important that we are able to find kids in Texas that can help supplement. If we are losing say 3 kids a year out of our geographic area we need to get 3 kids to replace.

My bigger concern is that the P12 starts moving in the direction of the Big 12 where you have definite have’s and definite have not’s. While we will be a have in the P12 model, the implications for the conference is that the margin for error will get smaller.
  • Options
    Captain_InsanoCaptain_Insano Member Posts: 156
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Name Dropper

we need the conference as a whole to be strong as well.

Pac-12 PRIDE
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Kids want to play in front of packed houses, on big stages, for big stakes. They want good facilities and they want great coaching. They want to go to the next level, but if not, they want to be a college legend.

And in between games they want hot mid-west and southern dance team ass!

The training facilities in the Pac, and the coaching is largely adequate or above adequate. But you look at some of the apathetic fan bases (Cal, Stanford, Arizona); rinky dink stadiums (OSU, WSU); and large but usually empty settings (USC, UCLA, ASU). More than half the league is less than an ideal stage or setting for college football IMHO.

Contrast that with BIG 10, SEC, and Big 12 stadiums that are packed even when the teams stink. Football is devoured in those parts of the country and occupies a higher and more revered place in the community and so are the players.

Furthermore, west coast chicks aren't hot enough, aside from portions of Cali and Arizona. Most chicks in Washington and Oregon no longer shave there underarms for christ's sake.

Before each game was televised I would imagine a kid would stay closer to home so that his family could participate in his career. That is no longer necessary with the widespread coverage of the sport and with the ease of today's communication.

Not sure what the solution is, but it is a difficult problem to overcome. I would suggest getting back to a more traditional schedule with set kick off times to get the crowds back but I know that would hurt TV revenue.

In closing, hotter cheerleaders wouldn't hurt (SC makes everyone else look stupid in this department).

So ya, the west coast IS fucked!

Skinny thinks the Georgia strange is nothing special after spending a few years there.
  • Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2018
    "Skinny thinks the Georgia strange is nothing special after spending a few years there."

It's never better than PT.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,203
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

He didn't list who the 8 players deciding on signing day were but Penis Swell chose Oregon and nearly all the rest chose USC. So the article is slightly melodramatic.

That being said I've been sounding the alarm bells on this for years. We should never cheer when some CA kid chooses Oklahoma or Notre Dame over USC or UCLA.

California, and the West in general, has greater competition for fewer elite recruits than the Southeast or Texas. Then if the outflows are greater than the inflows from outside the region it makes the conference even weaker.

Also every kid USC misses out on means more competition for the next kid down the line since we almost never go outside the region.

To some extent this is all mitigated by USC, Stanford, and even Oregon going national but ultimately if UW is going to win a National Championship we don't just need our own program to recruit at an elite level- we need the conference as a whole to be strong as well.

Kids are traveling between regions more than ever before as are families. They are less tied to the "hometown" than ever before. Recruiting reflects this. Either become a national brand or watch as your geographic footprint gets picked apart by those who are.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

He didn't list who the 8 players deciding on signing day were but Penis Swell chose Oregon and nearly all the rest chose USC. So the article is slightly melodramatic.

That being said I've been sounding the alarm bells on this for years. We should never cheer when some CA kid chooses Oklahoma or Notre Dame over USC or UCLA.

California, and the West in general, has greater competition for fewer elite recruits than the Southeast or Texas. Then if the outflows are greater than the inflows from outside the region it makes the conference even weaker.

Also every kid USC misses out on means more competition for the next kid down the line since we almost never go outside the region.

To some extent this is all mitigated by USC, Stanford, and even Oregon going national but ultimately if UW is going to win a National Championship we don't just need our own program to recruit at an elite level- we need the conference as a whole to be strong as well.

Kids are traveling between regions more than ever before as are families. They are less tied to the "hometown" than ever before. Recruiting reflects this. Either become a national brand or watch as your geographic footprint gets picked apart by those who are.
    I know this is sort of the CW (the DM guys said five years ago the notion of "the fence" was obsolete because Twitter), I'm just not sure there's any hard evidence to back it up.

I'm with Coker and DDY that the fence is always priority one.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    dnc said:

I know this is sort of the CW (the DM guys said five years ago the notion of "the fence" was obsolete because Twitter), I'm just not sure there's any hard evidence to back it up.

It is just so much more convenient, less selling, closer travel, easier access, kids GET IT, etc, etc.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,203
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Its not twitter its demographics. Jobs and families move more now(if you want I could pull actual research etc. There's plenty out there.) If a kid grew up in Wa and such Id consider the fence a real thing. If he moved here at 14 after stops at two other locations along the way its much less a factor even if hes considered a "Washington" recruit.