Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Patrick Utschinski, 2* 2019 OT, Walla Walla (HS), WA

Comments

• PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

So, there's a kid on the East Side that Huff has gotten interested in. From what I understand, last year was his first year playing football.

He's 6'6, 270 and not at all fat. Probably would play close to 315 in college. His coach thinks he has a high upside, but is pretty raw right now.

I'm not sure we'll offer, but any time we get interested in local kids, I think it's noteworthy.

Here's his hudl: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6018420/59ac20bb9a91a209e4e8d230

We should hold out for another Nick Harris.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Using your example, we are likely going to get a kid like Mele (or better) EVERY YEAR going forward with this staff

Why would you trade a POSSIBLE Mele today that you are going to gray shirt and HOPE he becomes that player versus just getting that player next year?

If we had more s holarships to offer I’d be all for it. If we kicked kids to the curb I’d be all for it. We don’t really do that. So why take projects if you don’t need to?
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2018
    Tequilla said:

Using your example, we are likely going to get a kid like Mele (or better) EVERY YEAR going forward with this staff

Why would you trade a POSSIBLE Mele today that you are going to gray shirt and HOPE he becomes that player versus just getting that player next year?

If we had more s holarships to offer I’d be all for it. If we kicked kids to the curb I’d be all for it. We don’t really do that. So why take projects if you don’t need to?

Last year as an example we'll get kids like Mele, but we have yet to get 3 or 4 a class and no guarantees we will going forward. Curne is good, but he's the opposite in that I think he'll contribute relatively early but I don't know if his ceiling is as high. MJ Ale is a project with a high ceiling who is at least 3 years out (but there was no chance we could get him as a grayshirt). And the year before was brutal.

This year we got Luciano I'm guessing in part to back-fill numbers and he looks good (when he's not getting flagged for holding) but I don't think his ceiling is super high. We should be able to get 2 additional top guys along with Kalepo (one reason I'm guessing why we didn't go after Beresford), but I have no clue what the following year has beyond Hatchett and Murao. And the more important question is how a 20 year old redshirt freshman project like Utschinski would compare to a 18 year old true freshman 2020 4* that we might get.

The good thing is projects like that you have summer camps and their entire Sr. year to evaluate before you decide, but I do think age/physical development is much more important on the OL especially than just high school skill and competition.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

Last year as an example we'll get kids like Mele, but we have yet to get 3 or 4 a class and no guarantees we will going forward. Curne is good, but he's the opposite in that I think he'll contribute relatively early but I don't know if his ceiling is as high. MJ Ale is a project with a high ceiling who is at least 3 years out (but there was no chance we could get him as a grayshirt). And the year before was brutal.

This year we got Luciano I'm guessing in part to back-fill numbers and he looks good (when he's not getting flagged for holding) but I don't think his ceiling is super high. We should be able to get 2 additional top guys along with Kalepo (one reason I'm guessing why we didn't go after Beresford), but I have no clue what the following year has beyond Hatchett and Murao. And the more important question is how a 20 year old redshirt freshman project like Utschinski would compare to a 18 year old true freshman 2020 4* that we might get.

The good thing is projects like that you have summer camps and their entire Sr. year to evaluate before you decide, but I do think age/physical development is much more important on the OL especially than just high school skill and competition.
    dude curne has a potential to be an all american, i feel he has the lowest floor and the highest ceiling out of the OL recruits we got
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Passion said:

So, there's a kid on the East Side that Huff has gotten interested in. From what I understand, last year was his first year playing football.

He's 6'6, 270 and not at all fat. Probably would play close to 315 in college. His coach thinks he has a high upside, but is pretty raw right now.

I'm not sure we'll offer, but any time we get interested in local kids, I think it's noteworthy.

Here's his hudl: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6018420/59ac20bb9a91a209e4e8d230

We should hold out for another Nick Harris.
    We? will
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Kid plays like a real dick. I like it.
  • FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

dude curne has a potential to be an all american, i feel he has the lowest floor and the highest ceiling out of the OL recruits we got
    You think he has a lower floor than Ale and Mele?

Tequilla said:

You think he has a lower floor than Ale and Mele?
    Fuck, I should read what I write, i meant he has the highest floor and the highest ceiling
  • Nice avatar. I'm a CSU grad.
    elord821 said:

Nice avatar. I'm a CSU grad.

What???
  • elord821 said:

Nice avatar. I'm a CSU grad.

What???
    Yessir. I'm not sure if we have UW alums outnumbered here.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    With one less WR scholarship in the class im glad we could be able to load up on the lines! Patrick Utschinski come on down!
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Domicillo said:
    This triggers my mid 2000's horrors of getting beat by OSU with Washington players who did not even get a sniff from UW. It's no wonder Sark just started offering guys in state who had beav offers, letting Mike Riley do all the work of scouting.
  • GaryFromTeenMomGaryFromTeenMom Member Posts: 1,370
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Eklund posted an article about him this morning. No UW mention yet but this would explain where that Joe Ngata spot might go lol