Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

BUT WHO CAN WE GET THATS BETTER?

Comments

• ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited January 2018

It's cute that you guys are happy with a team that might...might...make the tourney. Romar had put together a class that would have won a national championship, no question. Luckily we have some great minds investigating the illegal and racist collusion between Jen Cohen and Hopkins. The truth will win out.

Is this a whoosh? I didn't sound like it so I'm responding with that in mind...

A lack of talent was never a problem under Romar and the class that he had signed for this year wouldn't have changed the outcome for the program in the short term or the long term. We maybe... maybe... would have went to the tournament this year, but probably not, and then dudes would have left for the NBA and we'd be back to the depths of college basketball. This is sort of like saying you would rather put up with going 7-6 year after year with Sark as your head coach because, at some point, we'll maybe go to a New Years Six game and get blasted by some SEC team. Being mildly relevant once a decade is not enough payoff to stick with a completely inept coach.

It's pretty clear that, in hindsight, Romar's success came on the backs of truly special talents in Brandon Roy and Isaiah Thomas. Unless you're Kentucky or Duke, having even one player of that caliber come through your program in a decade would be fucking amazing... we had two. Romar has done less with more than pretty much any coach in the country and wanting to ride out that trend doesn't make much sense to me. We had the NUMBER ONE OVERALL PICK IN THE DRAFT last year and won TWO conference games... TWO! Two games in the weakest conference in the country. We had two first round picks on the same team in Tony Wroten and Terrence Ross and didn't sniff the tournament.

Romar was a shit coach who had some amazing players from the area just fall in his lap. I would rather Hopkins turn us into a white-bred Wichita State type of program than suffer through another year of Romar. For the first time in a long time we are playing good defense and running some semblance of an offense and I don't want to throw my remote through my TV. I'm happy with this.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

It's cute that you guys are happy with a team that might...might...make the tourney. Romar had put together a class that would have won a national championship, no question. Luckily we have some great minds investigating the illegal and racist collusion between Jen Cohen and Hopkins. The truth will win out.

A lack of talent was never a problem under Romar and the class that he had signed for this year wouldn't have changed the outcome for the program in the short term or the long term. We maybe... maybe... would have went to the tournament this year, but probably not, and then dudes would have left for the NBA and we'd be back to the depths of college basketball. This is sort of like saying you would rather put up with going 7-6 year after year with Sark as your head coach because, at some point, we'll maybe go to a New Years Six game and get blasted by some SEC team. Being mildly relevant once a decade is not enough payoff to stick with a completely inept coach.

It's pretty clear that, in hindsight, Romar's success came on the backs of truly special talents in Brandon Roy and Isaiah Thomas. Unless you're Kentucky or Duke, having even one player of that caliber come through your program in a decade would be fucking amazing... we had two. Romar has done less with more than pretty much any coach in the country and wanting to ride out that trend doesn't make much sense to me. We had the NUMBER ONE OVERALL PICK IN THE DRAFT last year and won TWO conference games... TWO! Two games in the weakest conference in the country. We had two first round picks on the same team in Tony Wroten and Terrence Ross and didn't sniff the tournament.

Romar was a shit coach who had some amazing players from the area just fall in his lap. I would rather Hopkins turn us into a white-bred Wichita State type of program than suffer through another year of Romar. For the first time in a long time we are playing good defense and running some semblance of an offense and I don't want to throw my remote through my TV. I'm happy with this.
    Disagree about talent. Romar brought in mostly shitty talent to go along with one or two big time guys.

Romar ended up at a Ty level. The players didn’t even try.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,894
    Standard Supporter

It was a whoosh. I'm not Basnight.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited January 2018

Disagree about talent. Romar brought in mostly shitty talent to go along with one or two big time guys.

THANK YOU.

Early on Romar was good at developing talent, at least on the perimeter and wing and so he was able to produce some solid guys to compliment the couple of superstars. Later on he just gave up and players were either amazing or atrocious.

He really became quite Sark like.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

Romars problem was he couldn't develop the lesser kids to produce their Junior and senior year. Even coach K, with unlimited talent, knows that. And the last few years Romar couldn't get his kids fired up. Going to the NIT with Wroten and Ross (And Abdul Gaddy) was one of the worst coaching jobs ever.

Hopkins has a lot to clean up, like 20 turnovers against Cal. But we are on the right path.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,431
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    That was a GOOD Cal team.