Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,261
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think I would take Sumlin over Rick. There is at least a shot that Sumlin could be an 8 or 9 win guy like he was at A&M. And he is a better recruiter than the original "great" recruiter.

People must have forgot how bad Rick was at UCLA
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

People must have forgot how bad Rick was at UCLA

People forget that
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,468
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

RN will snag one or two good prospects from UW and or other program that Arizona shouldn't be able to recruit against. This/these guy/s will supplement his otherwise lazy, poorly evaluated recruiting classes and a few Dwags will freak out about what a tough guy he us to recruit against...until 3 years have passed and his roster is full of Dan Milstens, Dash Cruthchleys, and Clarence Simpsons.

I'm scared.

@Dash true?
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    On their little message board they are all clamoring for Sumlin which is just sad and bizarre.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sumlin makes sense if you're a trash school like Arizona that needs to rely on sizzle and flash to compete. But shit, if that's not the move and you decide you're gonna go for a Pac-12 retread, why not just snag Mora? He sucks too, but he was markedly better than Neu at UCLA.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

On their little message board they are all clamoring for Sumlin which is just sad and bizarre.

I actually dont think Sumlin would be a terrible hire for them. He's not winning you a championship but nobody's doing that at Arizona. The thing Sumlin brings is serious recruiting prowess. Arizona is close enough to Texas that they could pull some big time kids out of there with the right coach. They'd be fast strategy kids who may not pan out without a disciplined culture and coaching staff, but at least you have a shot to hit on somebody.

I kind of see Arizona like Wazzu, you're going to have to settle for a coach with some warts. Sumlin's warts aren't as bad as some at that level. I think he'd have them in the top half of the South more often than not, which isn't exciting but is better than what they'll probably end up.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    In return for our(!) shoutout on today's pod, good overview of Arizona situation
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,825
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Arizona is a third tier school. Slick Rick and Sumlin level coaches are the best they can do, or they can take their chances on the hot young coaches of the Sun Belt, MAC, WAC, and Mt. West and try to bribe them not to jump ship if they have success.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,261
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2018 marks the 40th anniversary season for Arizona in the Pac 10-12

Oh for 39 so far
  • Options
  • Options
    dnc said:
    No surprise- their intelligent fans HATE it. Can't see past the triple option.

The one time Arizona was good it was because they had all the polys.
  • Options
    dnc said:

I actually dont think Sumlin would be a terrible hire for them. He's not winning you a championship but nobody's doing that at Arizona. The thing Sumlin brings is serious recruiting prowess. Arizona is close enough to Texas that they could pull some big time kids out of there with the right coach. They'd be fast strategy kids who may not pan out without a disciplined culture and coaching staff, but at least you have a shot to hit on somebody.

I kind of see Arizona like Wazzu, you're going to have to settle for a coach with some warts. Sumlin's warts aren't as bad as some at that level. I think he'd have them in the top half of the South more often than not, which isn't exciting but is better than what they'll probably end up.
    Probably not a good idea to go with a coach whose strength is recruiting at a school nobody can recruit to. And even when Sumlin was landing top 10 classes annually at A&M he couldn't finish better than .500 in conference 5 straight years.

Arizona needs to identify a competitive edge and then do that thing very well. Sumlin doesn't offer anything unique. He will attempt to come in and recruit heads up against USC, UCLA, ASU, and everyone in Texas and fail miserably.
  • Options

dnc said:

Probably not a good idea to go with a coach whose strength is recruiting at a school nobody can recruit to. And even when Sumlin was landing top 10 classes annually at A&M he couldn't finish better than .500 in conference 5 straight years.

Arizona needs to identify a competitive edge and then do that thing very well. Sumlin doesn't offer anything unique. He will attempt to come in and recruit heads up against USC, UCLA, ASU, and everyone in Texas and fail miserably.
    You could be right. I'd definitely hire Niumatololo over Sumlin if he's a real option for them.