Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Gerald Alexander

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    This thread officially has AIDS.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,459
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Teq Analysis is really, really homo.
  • Options
    RhythmicSlappingDawgRhythmicSlappingDawg Member Posts: 1,176
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Stats don't mean fucking shit.

This shit doesn't mean anything. The guys is a boss coach. If you watched the games from this year to last (which I did), then you would understand.

If you think receiving stats tell you the whole story about how good DBs are playing you are crazy.

Alexander is really good. Stats are for losers.

Bullshit. Stats mean a lot. They don't mean everything, and if Cal really did sell out to stop the run and maintained an equal pass defense then that's impressive. I have a hard time believing you watched more than a couple Cal games in 2016 and 2017 though. I doubt @BearsWiin even did that shit.
    They played a lot of cover 1 variants to get an extra safety in the box. They mixed it up with cover 2. Watch the SC game.
    One game doesn't mean anything on a season over season analysis.
    I know but they did this against us as well. Defenses run the same schemes against all teams pretty much. They just make slight adjustments to it to fit the style of team they play. Offenses are more adaptable to the defense they play. Defense is about identity thus their isn't a whole lot of scheme changing on that side.
    I don't think this is necessarily true but I know Wilcox damn well couldn't adjust when he coached here so this may well be the case at Cal.

Think of this another way, Cal's pass defense numbers didn't improve from 2016 to 2017 and they didn't have John Ross to rape them in 2017.

Might well be explainable, but that's scary chit.
    I think their DBs improved a shit ton. They basically raped Darnold for 3 quarters. Also Cal's pass rush was dick besides Looney.
    They had 10 more sacks in 2017 than 2016.
    They blitzed a hell of a lot more.
    link?

One would expect teams who blitz a lot to give up a lower percentage of completions (throwaways, QB's hit when they throw, rushed passes), but give up more yards per completion when they hit the passes.

This is the opposite of what we see from 2016 - 2017.

Doesn't mean it's not possible, but color me highly skeptical that you have any actual idea how often Cal blitzed in either 2016 or 2017.
    What it also could mean is that they focused on keeping things in front of them and then rallying up to make a tackle. They struggled big time in 2016 with big plays.

Obviously that's what the stats mean. That's not what you expect out of a team that blitzes a lot though. Heavy blitzing means you're primarily going to be inan with your back turned to the QB and eyes on the receiver. Keeping guys in front of you and rallying up to make a tackle means you're in zone and keeping your eyes on the QB.

I think your hypothetis is right. That means it's unlikely they blitzed a ton though.
    Nah they brought a lot of 5 man pressures. Like Seattle does.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I also know that Cal had some significant injuries on the defensive end of the ball towards the back half of the year as their numbers look far different when you look at the 1st half of the season to the 2nd half.

In games against USC, Oregon, Washington, and Washington St, Cal's numbers were as follows:

Yards per Attempt = 5.9
    Yards per Completion = 8.7
    Completion % = 68.0%

For perspective, the leading totals for the conference in Yards per Attempt/Completion were:

Yards per Attempt = 6.3 (Washington)
    Yards per Completion = 9.8 (Washington)
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,706
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

I also know that Cal had some significant injuries on the defensive end of the ball towards the back half of the year as their numbers look far different when you look at the 1st half of the season to the 2nd half.

In games against USC, Oregon, Washington, and Washington St, Cal's numbers were as follows:

Yards per Attempt = 5.9
    Completion % = 68.0%

For perspective, the leading totals for the conference in Yards per Attempt/Completion were:

Yes, they did well against Browning even though that game was never close and they managed to knock Herbert out and draw Alie which was obviously beneficial.

But now it feels like you are cherry picking data to fit a preformed narrative.

They also gave up 9.6 ypa to Weber St and 8.3 to Ole Miss prior to those four games.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Yards per Attempt = 5.9
    Completion % = 68.0%

Yes, they did well against Browning even though that game was never close and they managed to knock Herbert out and draw Alie which was obviously beneficial.

They also gave up 9.6 ypa to Weber St and 8.3 to Ole Miss prior to those four games.
    The numbers are actually quite comparable in each of those 4 games and regarding Herbert if I recall right he was hurt later in the game ... but point taken there.

Against Ole Miss, they did a tremendous job of sitting back and waiting for opportunities for turnovers particularly in tight spaces.

Against Weber St my guess is that they played super vanilla.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2017

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

This shit doesn't mean anything. The guys is a boss coach. If you watched the games from this year to last (which I did), then you would understand.

If you think receiving stats tell you the whole story about how good DBs are playing you are crazy.

Bullshit. Stats mean a lot. They don't mean everything, and if Cal really did sell out to stop the run and maintained an equal pass defense then that's impressive. I have a hard time believing you watched more than a couple Cal games in 2016 and 2017 though. I doubt @BearsWiin even did that shit.
    They played a lot of cover 1 variants to get an extra safety in the box. They mixed it up with cover 2. Watch the SC game.
    I know but they did this against us as well. Defenses run the same schemes against all teams pretty much. They just make slight adjustments to it to fit the style of team they play. Offenses are more adaptable to the defense they play. Defense is about identity thus their isn't a whole lot of scheme changing on that side.
    I don't think this is necessarily true but I know Wilcox damn well couldn't adjust when he coached here so this may well be the case at Cal.

Think of this another way, Cal's pass defense numbers didn't improve from 2016 to 2017 and they didn't have John Ross to rape them in 2017.

I think their DBs improved a shit ton. They basically raped Darnold for 3 quarters. Also Cal's pass rush was dick besides Looney.
    link?

One would expect teams who blitz a lot to give up a lower percentage of completions (throwaways, QB's hit when they throw, rushed passes), but give up more yards per completion when they hit the passes.

Doesn't mean it's not possible, but color me highly skeptical that you have any actual idea how often Cal blitzed in either 2016 or 2017.
    What it also could mean is that they focused on keeping things in front of them and then rallying up to make a tackle. They struggled big time in 2016 with big plays.

Obviously that's what the stats mean. That's not what you expect out of a team that blitzes a lot though. Heavy blitzing means you're primarily going to be inan with your back turned to the QB and eyes on the receiver. Keeping guys in front of you and rallying up to make a tackle means you're in zone and keeping your eyes on the QB.

I think your hypothetis is right. That means it's unlikely they blitzed a ton though.
    Yeah, every year under Carroll the Seahawks are one of the teams who blitz the least in the NFL.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

link?

Yeah, every year under Carroll the Seahawks are one of the teams who blitz the least in the NFL.
    Not what I was talking about in that poast. Bad communication on my part. When Seattle brings pressure they usually bring 5 they don't do it a lot obviously. I'm saying Cal brought a lot of 5 man pressures.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,459
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I don't feel like finding the thread where this was brought up, but consensus would be that if/when Lake eventually leaves UW that Alexander will be his replacement. The question/comment was brought up questioning Alexander's coaching chops.

Cal's passing game made some fairly material improvements in 2017 with Alexander (stats Pac 12 games only):

Yards per Pass Attempt

2017: 7.77 (10th in conference)
    2016: 7.76 (7th in conference)

Yards per Pass Completion

2017: 11.39 (4th in conference)
    2016: 12.75 (10th in conference)

Completion %

2017: 68.2% (12th in conference)
    2016: 60.9% (8th in conference)

Turnovers

2017: 15 (5th in conference)
    2016: 11 (10th in conference)

Teq Analysis

I'm a flaming doog homo whose poast was so gay it had to be removed from the recruiting board so that teen boys parents wouldn't read it.

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,706
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Yards per Attempt = 5.9
    Completion % = 68.0%

The numbers are actually quite comparable in each of those 4 games and regarding Herbert if I recall right he was hurt later in the game ... but point taken there.

Against Ole Miss, they did a tremendous job of sitting back and waiting for opportunities for turnovers particularly in tight spaces.

Against Weber St my guess is that they played super vanilla.
    I certainly didn't watch the Weber St game but it doesn't look like they did anything good based on the box score.

Weber State was winning after 3 quarters. Then their last 3 possessions went: fumble, turnover on downs at Cal 13, turnover on downs at Cal 5.

Not sure how tremendous their strategy was against Ole Miss vs simply lucky but one less INT and they likely lose despite holding Ole Miss to 53 yards rushing.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    edited December 2017
    dnc said:

I think I watched every game

Cal had a lot of injuries and played a lot of inexperienced kids on defense. They gave up plenty of big pass plays this year, too.

This isn't necessarily a Wilcox defense; DeRuyter is the DC, and my impression is that Wilcox lets him do his thing.

Looking forward to another year with this coaching staff

The Last Jedi is very good

Spent the last four hours playing Cards Against Humanity with three drunk fuckworthy college freshman girls, the last thing I want to think about is the fucking Cal pass defense
  • Options
    BearsWiin said:

dnc said:

Cal had a lot of injuries and played a lot of inexperienced kids on defense. They gave up plenty of big pass plays this year, too.

This isn't necessarily a Wilcox defense; DeRuyter is the DC, and my impression is that Wilcox lets him do his thing.

Spent the last four hours playing Cards Against Humanity with three drunk fuckworthy college freshman girls, the last thing I want to think about is the fucking Cal pass defense
    YKW. Also, respect for going around the wife's back.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947

BearsWiin said:

dnc said:

Wife was in the next room with the other adults reliving her childhood by dancing and karaokeing to 80's music, I wisely chose to play with the youngstuff. Wife joined us for the last hour
  • Options
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

dnc said:

Wife was in the next room with the other adults reliving her childhood by dancing and karaokeing to 80's music, I wisely chose to play with the youngstuff. Wife joined us for the last hour

Three way?