Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Gerald Alexander

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
I don't feel like finding the thread where this was brought up, but consensus would be that if/when Lake eventually leaves UW that Alexander will be his replacement. The question/comment was brought up questioning Alexander's coaching chops.

Cal's passing game made some fairly material improvements in 2017 with Alexander (stats Pac 12 games only):

Yards per Pass Attempt

2017: 7.77 (10th in conference)
2016: 7.76 (7th in conference)

Yards per Pass Completion

2017: 11.39 (4th in conference)
2016: 12.75 (10th in conference)

Completion %

2017: 68.2% (12th in conference)
2016: 60.9% (8th in conference)

Turnovers

2017: 15 (5th in conference)
2016: 11 (10th in conference)

Teq Analysis

If you view pass defense based on yards per attempt and completion %, you would argue that Alexander was at best break even and perhaps worse than what Cal had in 2016. The key here though is looking at the yards per completion. Shaving almost a yard and a half off per completion tells you that they did a far better job of keeping the game in front of them willing to give up short completions. With the increase in turnovers that also argues for the defense being far more structured and able to take advantage of teams when they push the ball down the field.

Moreover, when you compare to how UW plays defense, UW isn't particularly concerned about the opposition's completion percentage as many throws are underneath and swing routes to RBs before rallying up to make tackles. Watching Cal this year, that's very similar to what I saw in how they game planned. That's evident in the fact that their points per game against dropped by almost 2 TDs from 43.6 per game in 2016 to 30.6 in 2017.

Comments

• Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,705
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The yards per completion is only down because completion percentage is up. Maybe Cal took a different strategy to give up small gains in order to avoid the big chunk play but in the end the result was the exact same on a per play basis.

Cal's improvement as a defense came entirely in run defense. In 2016 they were the WORST in the nation at 6.2 yards per rush allowed. They brought that all the way down to 4.2 in 2017.

Maybe they left their DBs in single coverage more often in order to take away the run and Alexander's unit did well to maintain the same ypa allowed, I don't know.

But on the surface the stats don't show any real improvement at all for Cal's secondary this past season.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Plus, he fucks.
  • Options
    RhythmicSlappingDawgRhythmicSlappingDawg Member Posts: 1,176
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited December 2017
    dnc said:

Looks like he sucks to me.

Extremely unimpressive.

Unless there's a real good explanation like @FremontTroll hypothesized (tons of man coverage and DB's on islands) this isn't a strong argument for him.

If Lake leaves I hope we do better.

Cal played alot of cover 1 or 2 man on the outside. They zoned their backers to mix it up. I remember correctly. So it was a variant of cover 2, man, and cover 1. They had a lot of dudes in the box.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Stats don't mean fucking shit.

This shit doesn't mean anything. The guys is a boss coach. If you watched the games from this year to last (which I did), then you would understand.

If you think receiving stats tell you the whole story about how good DBs are playing you are crazy.

Alexander is really good. Stats are for losers.
  • Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Regardless we get to see at least one more year of how he does at Cal. LIPO
  • Options

This shit doesn't mean anything. The guys is a boss coach. If you watched the games from this year to last (which I did), then you would understand.

If you think receiving stats tell you the whole story about how good DBs are playing you are crazy.

Fuckin this. The numbers were scheme and talented related. Cal sold out to stop the run. Cal's DBs played a shit ton better this year than last.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Bullshit. Stats mean a lot. They don't mean everything, and if Cal really did sell out to stop the run and maintained an equal pass defense then that's impressive. I have a hard time believing you watched more than a couple Cal games in 2016 and 2017 though. I doubt @BearsWiin even did that shit.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Bullshit. Stats mean a lot. They don't mean everything, and if Cal really did sell out to stop the run and maintained an equal pass defense then that's impressive. I have a hard time believing you watched more than a couple Cal games in 2016 and 2017 though. I doubt @BearsWiin even did that shit.
    They played a lot of cover 1 variants to get an extra safety in the box. They mixed it up with cover 2. Watch the SC game.
  • Options

dnc said:

They played a lot of cover 1 variants to get an extra safety in the box. They mixed it up with cover 2. Watch the SC game.
    One game doesn't mean anything on a season over season analysis.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

I know but they did this against us as well. Defenses run the same schemes against all teams pretty much. They just make slight adjustments to it to fit the style of team they play. Offenses are more adaptable to the defense they play. Defense is about identity thus their isn't a whole lot of scheme changing on that side.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

I know but they did this against us as well. Defenses run the same schemes against all teams pretty much. They just make slight adjustments to it to fit the style of team they play. Offenses are more adaptable to the defense they play. Defense is about identity thus their isn't a whole lot of scheme changing on that side.
    I don't think this is necessarily true but I know Wilcox damn well couldn't adjust when he coached here so this may well be the case at Cal.

Think of this another way, Cal's pass defense numbers didn't improve from 2016 to 2017 and they didn't have John Ross to rape them in 2017.

Might well be explainable, but that's scary chit.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

I don't think this is necessarily true but I know Wilcox damn well couldn't adjust when he coached here so this may well be the case at Cal.

Think of this another way, Cal's pass defense numbers didn't improve from 2016 to 2017 and they didn't have John Ross to rape them in 2017.

I think their DBs improved a shit ton. They basically raped Darnold for 3 quarters. Also Cal's pass rush was dick besides Looney.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,449
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Teq Analysis is gay.
  • Options

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

I think their DBs improved a shit ton. They basically raped Darnold for 3 quarters. Also Cal's pass rush was dick besides Looney.
    They had 10 more sacks in 2017 than 2016.
  • Options
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

They blitzed a hell of a lot more.
  • Options
    edited December 2017

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

link?

One would expect teams who blitz a lot to give up a lower percentage of completions (throwaways, QB's hit when they throw, rushed passes), but give up more yards per completion when they hit the passes.

This is the opposite of what we see from 2016 - 2017.

Doesn't mean it's not possible, but color me highly skeptical that you have any actual idea how often Cal blitzed in either 2016 or 2017.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

link?

One would expect teams who blitz a lot to give up a lower percentage of completions (throwaways, QB's hit when they throw, rushed passes), but give up more yards per completion when they hit the passes.

Doesn't mean it's not possible, but color me highly skeptical that you have any actual idea how often Cal blitzed in either 2016 or 2017.
    What it also could mean is that they focused on keeping things in front of them and then rallying up to make a tackle. They struggled big time in 2016 with big plays.

• Options
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

link?

What it also could mean is that they focused on keeping things in front of them and then rallying up to make a tackle. They struggled big time in 2016 with big plays.

Obviously that's what the stats mean. That's not what you expect out of a team that blitzes a lot though. Heavy blitzing means you're primarily going to be inan with your back turned to the QB and eyes on the receiver. Keeping guys in front of you and rallying up to make a tackle means you're in zone and keeping your eyes on the QB.

I think your hypothetis is right. That means it's unlikely they blitzed a ton though.