Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Oregon Gets Cristoballed

Comments

• dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    No offense to Grinch, but a lot of his success I believe has come from recruiting paying off. Leach started immediately filling out offensive spots, but it took a year or two for any quality defensive guys to want to come to WSU. He outcoached bad coaches, but not a lot of good coaches.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    LIPO.

This hire is only a failure if Mullens doesn't have the stones to pull the trigger on firing Cristobal in 2 years if this isn't panning out (which is very possible since Mullens is a huge pussy). In 2 years, there will be way better outside options available (the next Matt Campbell or maybe even actual Matt Campbell once he realizes that Iowa State has a very finite ceiling).

Not thrilled, but there's really no options out there. I prefer giving Cristobal 2 years and seeing what he can do, while pulling in good classes, over giving Leach/Sumlin/Wilcox 4 years and then starting from ground zero in 2022. But once again, this will all come down to how short of a leash Mullens is going to give him and the program.

LIPO.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dongman said:

No offense to Grinch, but a lot of his success I believe has come from recruiting paying off. Leach started immediately filling out offensive spots, but it took a year or two for any quality defensive guys to want to come to WSU. He outcoached bad coaches, but not a lot of good coaches.

Leach's offense has a ceiling. It's not built to beat fast, physical defenses and therefore win a Championship.

WSU's offense is the worst it has been this Season in 4 years. It was Grinch's defense that won half of the games this year. If WSU had last years Defense or gawd forbid the 2014 or 2015 defense this Season, they win 4 games max this Season.

Grinch's system of substituting size for speed won't win a Championship. However it does maximize the talent that they are able to get to come to Pullman.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    salemcoog said:

dongman said:

Leach's offense has a ceiling. It's not built to beat fast, physical defenses and therefore win a Championship.

WSU's offense is the worst it has been this Season in 4 years. It was Grinch's defense that won half of the games this year. If WSU had last years Defense or gawd forbid the 2014 or 2015 defense this Season, they win 4 games max this Season.

Grinch's system of substituting size for speed won't win a Championship. However it does maximize the talent that they are able to get to come to Pullman.
    That's the question though. Is Grinch's system actually his system, or is it what he did to adjust to the type of talent that they have in Pullman?
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    ntxduck said:

LIPO.

This hire is only a failure if Mullens doesn't have the stones to pull the trigger on firing Cristobal in 2 years if this isn't panning out (which is very possible since Mullens is a huge pussy). In 2 years, there will be way better outside options available (the next Matt Campbell or maybe even actual Matt Campbell once he realizes that Iowa State has a very finite ceiling).

Not thrilled, but there's really no options out there. I prefer giving Cristobal 2 years and seeing what he can do, while pulling in good classes, over giving Leach/Sumlin/Wilcox 4 years and then starting from ground zero in 2022. But once again, this will all come down to how short of a leash Mullens is going to give him and the program.

LIPO.

Saban?
    Sweeney?
    Belichick?

obk's list is full of available talent when you have scratch like UO does.
    ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

The AD and boosters gave in to a player vote and the prospect of keeping some of an alleged great recruiting class. This is the Bill Doba hire through and through. There were and are plenty of options out there that have had greater success as a head coach. This was as lazy hire as you could imagine at what used to think of themselves as a Football school.
    ntxduck said:

salemcoog said:

dongman said:

That's the question though. Is Grinch's system actually his system, or is it what he did to adjust to the type of talent that they have in Pullman?
    Who knows? He was promoted from a DB coach at Mizzou to Def Coordinator at WSU.

Really no other track record to note. That is unless He was coaching at the highest levels of Youth Football in Alabama before that.
  • dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    salemcoog said:

dongman said:

Yeah the WSU offense was essentially the Seahawks with 42 year old Peyton Manning back there, and a coach who won't give up on his boy.

Defensively, I agree. Without the scheme and their performance were probably 5-7 or something around there. The issue is if the other coaches figure out how to not be so shitty at 8-9/12 Pac12 schools, which may never actually happen, we will begin to get blasted over similar to what UW does to WSU. It just takes a competent Oline to ruin a defensive scheme based around speed, and it only takes a big quality d line to ruin the offensive scheme we run as well. I think the speed thing, especially on defense is not sustainable.

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    @ntxduck is also right.

I feel a little better than he does, I've kicked the tires on Krystalball and while there's no poont in arguing with you assholes, he's not as bad as dickheads here think and not as good as the lemmings on eQuook think either, at least in terms of resume and qualifications.

It's a LIPO situation. He gets 3 years. Win or GTFO
    AZDuck said:

@ntxduck is also right.

I feel a little better than he does, I've kicked the tires on Krystalball and while there's no poont in arguing with you assholes, he's not as bad as dickheads here think and not as good as the lemmings on eQuook think either, at least in terms of resume and qualifications.

It's a LIPO situation. He gets 13 years. Win or GTFO

I saw a little typo in there.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

This is a reasonable conclusion. Look, Cristoballz could be great. Who knows. Not an inspiring hire, and I think if you look at percentages of failed previous HC's brought up from the assistant ranks the chances are against Oregon, but he could turn out to be great. Small chance, but a chance. Key is Mullens shitcanning this guy quick if results are less than optimal and pulling a big name then. I know I'd be pissed if I were a Duck, but most of eSuck is rejoicing. Then again, most of eSuck are dumb fucking donkeys.
    People need to GTFOver hiring a "great" coach.

Seriously, how often does that happen? Ever? What is a great coach? Michigan jerks off in their sleep over a guy that never sniffed an NC and ran off the guy who won their only modern one for winning nine games and crushing Tebow in their bowl his Heisman year.

There are three great coaches in college football and four dance spots. I don't give a fuck who anyone hires, your shot at making it outside of those three programs are slim. Then you have to account for ND who makes their own schedule, Oklahoma who plays no one, and ESPN trying to push two SEC teams every year for ratings.

I hate to break it to UW fans, but you already got the best you're ever going to get out of Petersen. He doesn't recruit well enough and Lake will be gone soon.

The 117 team rat race to grab that fourth spot is making the sport a shit show.
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

This is a reasonable conclusion. Look, Cristoballz could be great. Who knows. Not an inspiring hire, and I think if you look at percentages of failed previous HC's brought up from the assistant ranks the chances are against Oregon, but he could turn out to be great. Small chance, but a chance. Key is Mullens shitcanning this guy quick if results are less than optimal and pulling a big name then. I know I'd be pissed if I were a Duck, but most of eSuck is rejoicing. Then again, most of eSuck are dumb fucking donkeys.

Seriously, how often does that happen? Ever? What is a great coach? Michigan jerks off in their sleep over a guy that never sniffed an NC and ran off the guy who won their only modern one for winning nine games and crushing Tebow in their bowl his Heisman year.

There are three great coaches in college football and four dance spots. I don't give a fuck who anyone hires, your shot at making it outside of those three programs are slim. Then you have to account for ND who makes their own schedule, Oklahoma who plays no one, and ESPN trying to push two SEC teams every year for ratings.

I hate to break it to UW fans, but you already got the best you're ever going to get out of Petersen. He doesn't recruit well enough and Lake will be gone soon.

Somebody's a little butthurt today.

Sad.
    I think his anus is actually bleeding.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2017
    Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

RE: Mario Cristobal/Oregon> Just how bleak were things at FIU when he took over? There was no film library. No academic support system. He inherited a woeful APR & the program was going on academic probation, so they couldn’t have full recruiting classes: https://t.co/ISAvVzoLPh

— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) December 8, 2017

A few thoughts on Mario Cristobal. 1. Took over, BY FAR, the worst FBS situation I've ever seen (FIU).. led them to a bowl win 4 yrs later; 2. Not sure there is a better recruiter in the country anywhere. 3. His teams will be very physical. MORE: https://t.co/ISAvVzoLPh

— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) December 8, 2017

This at least explains his poor record at FIU. They were also 1-23 the previous 24 games before he was hired. Definitely underwhelming, but Wilcox, Leach, Sumlin, etc. would have caused the existing class to crumble, and they aren't terrific coaches anyhow. Cristobal can at least hold most of the class together. If he performs like Slingblade, then he gone. The good news is, Oregon can afford to pay him less than Sumlin, Leach, Wilcox, etc. which they can use to pay more to keep and hire top notch assistants.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

Sad.
    I'm not butthurt at all. If Mullens can keep Leavitt literally nothing has changed in the program except no one will be axing questions anymore while being Pacific while dricking milk.

It's just fucking ridiculous to see all these programs trying to hire the next Nick, Urbs, or Dabo because there is zero margin for error anymore.

Kevin Sumlin getting fired is a prime example. aTm starts out in 3rd place in their region every year in everything behind OU and Texas. Then, they get to go play Bama, LSU, and Auburn every year with the potential to play either Florida or Georgia as well. The guy goes 51-26 at a place Bear Bryant couldn't sniff a championship at but that's not good enough. It's fucking delusional. It's only going to get worse too. You're going to have guys like Willie Taggart who have literally done nothing in their careers getting $5+M a year and big time jobs only because they haven't fully proven they aren't a Nick, Urbs, or Dabo yet.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

Sad.
    I'm not butthurt at all. If Mullens can keep Leavitt literally nothing has changed in the program except no one will be axing questions anymore while being Pacific while dricking milk.

It's just fucking ridiculous to see all these programs trying to hire the next Nick, Urbs, or Dabo because there is zero margin for error anymore.

Kevin Sumlin getting fired is a prime example. aTm starts out in 3rd place in their region every year in everything behind OU and Texas. Then, they get to go play Bama, LSU, and Auburn every year with the potential to play either Florida or Georgia as well. The guy goes 51-26 at a place Bear Bryant couldn't sniff a championship at but that's not good enough. It's fucking delusional. It's only going to get worse too. You're going to have guys like Willie Taggart who have literally done nothing in their careers getting $5+M a year and big time jobs only because they haven't fully proven they aren't a Nick, Urbs, or Dabo yet.
    And you guys could have had that guy.

lulz.