Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Oregon Gets Cristoballed

Comments

• Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    If Jim Leavitt is retained I don't think the program trajectory between Willie and Mario will be any different. We were running Mario's offense by the end of the year so Taggart really was only going to be a recruiter/mascot going forward. I would rather have both Willie and Mario on the staff because they are both awesome recruiters, but overall to me they are the same person.

For Mario's FIU stint they had no budget, just joined FBS and were under pretty heavy NCAA sanctions when he took over. He got them to their only two bowl games and their lone FBS conference championship. You don't reload at a school like that so there will be down times, but those aren't allowed in today's sports world.

I am neither excited or disappointed by the hire. I think we basically swapped out a black guy for a Cuban and if Jim Leavitt stays on nothing actually happened.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    salemcoog said:

If they can keep Adrian Jackson, Shough, Stephens and Holland plus get Treshaun Harrison to re-up it's making the best of a bad situation. If they can keep Leavitt, that's the icing. If they can't, they better start thinking about who the DC will be.

Leavitt Gone as per reports.
    He's the most valuable of the three. Where are these reports?
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    salemcoog said:

If they can keep Adrian Jackson, Shough, Stephens and Holland plus get Treshaun Harrison to re-up it's making the best of a bad situation. If they can keep Leavitt, that's the icing. If they can't, they better start thinking about who the DC will be.

For that to happen, FSU is going to have to pay him top 5 coordinator money plus a $500k buyout. Possible. But not a given.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dnc said:

salemcoog said:

He's the most valuable of the three. Where are these reports?
    Speculation on 750 da Game. It's just what they're hearing though, so don't twist.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    IDGAF (we've botraced Leavitt 2 years running) but FSU 247 folks have been convinced for a while now Leavitt is coming. This was part of the negotiations and was a huge stickler for FSU.

To be fair, he did have one good year at FIU before being fired and then demoted twice by Bama

The Bama thing just isn't really accurate. I've heard this from probably 15 different people. When Kirby left he had a ton of in-roads with recruits and high school coaches and that hurt Bama. Nick doesn't do much recruiting anymore and he didn't want this to happen again.

He knew Lane would be the next one to take a head coaching gig so Saban took him off of recruiting his last 18 months or so on the staff. Mario and Tosh were his main two recruiters so he gave them both bigger titles and less responsibilities. Tosh was the "Co-DC" even though Jeremy did everything and Mario was the Assistant Head Coach, which means zero if Nick Saban is the head coach.

That's why when Lane went to FAU there was no recruiting fallout because he wasn't recruiting anyone. You can see the obvious down turn in Bama's recruiting losing Kirby, Mario, and now Jeremy in continuous years. Tosh will more than likely get the DC job this year and be gone in a year or two.

No one got demoted, they just got reassigned. Talent matters more than anything. Nick knows this.
  • dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Mosster47 said:

To be fair, he did have one good year at FIU before being fired and then demoted twice by Bama

The Bama thing just isn't really accurate. I've heard this from probably 15 different people. When Kirby left he had a ton of in-roads with recruits and high school coaches and that hurt Bama. Nick doesn't do much recruiting anymore and he didn't want this to happen again.

He knew Lane would be the next one to take a head coaching gig so Saban took him off of recruiting his last 18 months or so on the staff. Mario and Tosh were his main two recruiters so he gave them both bigger titles and less responsibilities. Tosh was the "Co-DC" even though Jeremy did everything and Mario was the Assistant Head Coach, which means zero if Nick Saban is the head coach.

That's why when Lane went to FAU there was no recruiting fallout because he wasn't recruiting anyone. You can see the obvious down turn in Bama's recruiting losing Kirby, Mario, and now Jeremy in continuous years. Tosh will more than likely get the DC job this year and be gone in a year or two.

No one got demoted, they just got reassigned. Talent matters more than anything. Nick knows this.
    Saban can't be that stupid to put his eggs in one or two baskets right? Not that Alabama has trouble recruiting in any fashion...but every school sends position coaches as well as other coaches along side them for most visits, letters writing, hosting etc. for Defense usually a the DC, and position coach show up. Occasionally position, coordinator, and head coach. If Saban is so cocky that he leaves recruiting to 2 guys he's a moron and missing out on guys forsure.
    dongman said:

Mosster47 said:

Saban can't be that stupid to put his eggs in one or two baskets right? Not that Alabama has trouble recruiting in any fashion...but every school sends position coaches as well as other coaches along side them for most visits, letters writing, hosting etc. for Defense usually a the DC, and position coach show up. Occasionally position, coordinator, and head coach. If Saban is so cocky that he leaves recruiting to 2 guys he's a moron and missing out on guys forsure.
    Bama has 14 commits, total and are #3 in the SEC. It's not an accident.

66 year old men with a closet full of championship rings and an $8M salary don't chase 18 year olds, even though that's the most important part of their job.

To me it's a sound strategy. Get guys that can recruit and try to keep them in positions where other schools won't hire them away for as long as you can.
  • MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Considering you dipshits think every move by Oregon is somehow tied into Washington’s nearly two decades of failure, I’d like to mention that you all thought USC players getting Todd Helton hired was a dipshit program killer as well.

Meanwhile, Washington is in their wake with “your guy”

I’ll take your down votes off the air.

salemcoog said:

Mosster47 said:

My Gawd you are a clueless Donkey.
    You know before food was massed together in buildings people like you died of starvation before reaching adulthood. It's a shame society missed out on that.

Considering you dipshits think every move by Oregon is somehow tied into Washington’s nearly two decades of failure, I’d like to mention that you all thought USC players getting Todd Helton hired was a dipshit program killer as well.

Meanwhile, Washington is in their wake with “your guy”

I’ll take your down votes off the air.

I'm thinking this phrase will get some run as well.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    salemcoog said:

Gladstone said:

IDGAF (we've botraced Leavitt 2 years running) but FSU 247 folks have been convinced for a while now Leavitt is coming. This was part of the negotiations and was a huge stickler for FSU.

Yeah Let's see... After you were just passed up by a coach who had a sub 40 winning percentage in a shit league for promotion, would you rather to stay at that school or go to a
    historically top 5 program that happens to be where your roots are?

I'm sure He'll stay in Eugene....

snicker.gif.
    You should probably hope he does. The end result would probably be Oregon throwing Leavitt money at Grinch.

salemcoog said:

Gladstone said:

Yeah Let's see... After you were just passed up by a coach who had a sub 40 winning percentage in a shit league for promotion, would you rather to stay at that school or go to a
    historically top 5 program that happens to be where your roots are?

I'm sure He'll stay in Eugene....

snicker.gif.
    You should probably hope he does. The end result would probably be Oregon throwing Leavitt money at Grinch.
    It could happen but Cristobal wants to try to build a big boy SEC like defense according to the radio chatter here. Pretty much the opposite of what Grinch has built at WSU.

And I think Leavitt staying would hurt UW as much as anyone else. Because as we saw this year in the Pac 12 N, it wasn't about the best team winning it. It was more about who the other teams in contention beat or didn't beat.