Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

OFFICIAL [Official] UW vs Providence GAMETHREAD {Official} 630 PST ESPN2

2»

Comments

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,793
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    He's a good coach.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,289
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    We still really suck in a lot of ways but there are definitely things to be excited about. Dickerson is really good, and is apparently a decent shooter now. Nowell is a baller, and even though he didn't shoot great tonight, I still felt like he was taking good shots.

Crisp and Thybulle just aren't consistent enough to be leaders out there. As soon as Crisp makes one 3, he starts chucking awful shots. I just don't know what to do with Thybulle. I feel like he has everything to be a pretty good player, but he just never puts it together.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,814
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Thybulle on a good team is a bench player that plays 15-20 minutes tops.
  • Options
    BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I'm sold on Hop
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,466
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This was a GOOD loss.

In all seriousness, this team is straight up Sarkisian to Pete transition year. We're going to want Hop fired on many Tarmacs, but finally they are getting coaching.
  • Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Trouble with Thybulle is he can't handle the ball. He turned it over at least 5 times tonight and it was killer.

If he was on a team where he could play off a good PG and another ball handler and just focus on what he's good at I think he'd be very effective. He's all over the place on D-- there's always a place for someone like that.
  • Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 793
    This team has about 1.5 guys that can you feel good about with the ball in their hands. I'd say Nowell is one and Crisp is pretty shitty but at least I'm not holding my breath when he touches it. That's not going to cut it.

But, it's great to see them giving max effort and giving a damn.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    I will actually watch this team on TV this year.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,059
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Good showing last night despite shooting themselves in the foot. Quite honestly, Providence allowed them to stay in it as well. The 2-3 is still really tough to watch, especially when the ball gets in the middle or post, which doesn't seem to be all that hard. That being said they were in it to the end which is better than not. Offense seems to be a bit fuzzy sometimes. Agreed about Thybule. If he had any semblance of elite ball handling he'd be tough to stop. Also to note about Thybule is for a guy with his athleticism you'd hope he pulled down more boards. I do love that there was an emphasis to get the ball in the post. They should do this even with Timmins who actually has decent touch down low. Dickerson will need the help, and it helps open up the floor for guys to get off a shot. I like Carter IIIIIIIIIIII as a point guard more than Crisp. Gets the ball out of his hands. I'm not certain how he is as a shooter, as it's always beneficial to have a PG who can hit the open 3. Virginia Tech should be a good barometer for the team. If they come out swinging and win would be the best result but I'd be happy with doog logic for a close loss like last night.
  • Options
    BlayenBlayen Member Posts: 102
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    The inbounds play isn't a complete circus for the first time in over a decade. I'm sold.
  • Options
    RapeculturedawgRapeculturedawg Member Posts: 899
    This was the first game ive sat down and eatched this season. Defense definitely kept them in this one, offense was sloppy as hell. Thybulle was horiffic handling the ball, nowell seemed to gain some confidence as the game went on. Season will either be interesting or it wont.. let it play out.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,783
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited November 2017
    It's going to take at least a year to get Romar's rat ball ethic out of this program.

That said, there is some talent if you go by star rankings. It's not a salvage job like Bender inherited. I'm hoping they can at least win 8 or 9 Pac 12 games and start building something.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

It's going to take at least a year to get Romar's rat ball ethic out of this program.

That said, there is some talent if you go by star rankings. It's not a salvage job like Bender inherited. I'm hoping they can at least win 8 or 9 Pac 12 games and start building something.

This team is not winning 8-9 Pac12 games unless people are just blown away by the zone. They have scraped by two wins against garbage at home, and have had the doors blown off them by the only marginally good team they have played. In the pac12, there are only a couple teams I could see them winning against(and only at home). It's a rebuild and we all knew it when calling for Romars job. We'll have to see what Hop can put together with the roster makeup Romar had put together.

In reality it doesn't matter. They aren't going to win this year b/c the talent and any semblance of offensive gameplan isn't there. That being said, Hop needs to get rid of half this roster if he wants to change anything in 18', 19', 20'. Crisp is a horrid PG, timmins shouldn't even play for a WCC school, and boy was I wrong on thybulle. Noah has proven to be very good, and I like the aggression/fearlessness of Nowell.

A couple of stats to keep an eye on. Our Assist/TO ratio is 45/59. Not a positive when you're +14 in turnovers in basketball. Positively the offensive rebound stats have been good, but I don't know if that's due to so missed shot opportunities or just guys being in good places and being aggressive. I'll go for the latter just for shits.