Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

NFL ratings slide continues

12346»

Comments

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,620
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

Come on @doogie.

You are so close to joining @Sledog.

Give in to the hate.

I am the voice of reason in this bleak board populated by so many pussy leftist wanna be Commissars.

If the NFL owners want to lose money then let these spoiled asshats keep up their MSM driven bullshit fantasy of police oppression. It will hurt the entire NFL and could take years to repair the damage done in the name of fake SJW bullshit. Odd the owners didn't kneel with Tebow who was crucified for his actions by the same lefty fucks now promoting this shit. It is indeed a plan by the global elite to tear this country apart slowly but surely.
    Ratings went up.

I do love your consistent racism though. TYFYS.
    Please to poont out my racism?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,089
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Come on @doogie.

Give in to the hate.

I am the voice of reason in this bleak board populated by so many pussy leftist wanna be Commissars.

If the NFL owners want to lose money then let these spoiled asshats keep up their MSM driven bullshit fantasy of police oppression. It will hurt the entire NFL and could take years to repair the damage done in the name of fake SJW bullshit. Odd the owners didn't kneel with Tebow who was crucified for his actions by the same lefty fucks now promoting this shit. It is indeed a plan by the global elite to tear this country apart slowly but surely.
    Ratings went up.

He can't

He's become a pathetic parody of a parody
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Come on @doogie.

Give in to the hate.

Ratings went up.

Don't be a bitch like OBK.

Be proud of yourself.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Police brutality and voting irregularities, ok its getting more specific, but kneeling at a football game doesnt clear anything up, it just pisses off fans, thats all its accomplishing.

Lather, rinse, repeat
    Yes polls from 51 years ago are totally relevant to today's society.
    whlinder said:

Swaye said:

dhdawg said:

There is a ton of disgust (a lot more than people think) with multi-millionaire athletes disrespecting the sacrifices that millions of dead soldiers made so they can play football instead of wearing a dirty pair of striped pajamas, hoping those "arbeit macht frei" signs really mean what they say. It's disrespectful plain and simple, and people don't dig that. If you want to protest, find another way, this isn't working, and you'll be lumped into the same bucket of scum as antifa in most peoples' minds.

Prediction: owners will start wising up, and the first ones to do it will be rewarded with new fans, or fans that switch loyalty from teams that continue to tolerate this rebellion. Slamming the agenda of the out of orbit left will pay dividends. The election of Trump clearly demonstrates that.

pointing out how much money they make is just total bullshit.
    how dare members of a historically oppressed minority utilize one of the few industries they actually have institutional power to give a voice to those who don't that power. How dare they. Kaepernick may have sacrificed his own career for it, selfish prick.

you can honor the troops and their sacrifices in a number of different ways. just because you've decided that's how they should do it doesn't mean it's the only one.
    You know, maybe some middle ground could be found where the NFL starts donating seriously to PTSD causes (obvious tie in to brain health and they could use the good pub), or traumatic brain injuries from the battlefield (also obvious tie in)...something where the league and the players could demonstrate that hey, our flag shit has absolutely nothing to do with vets and we are going to go overboard to support them.

I would still disagree with their stance on this, but I get it, I am not the "normal" American anymore in the sense that I did go to war, and so I have a different viewpoint than many perhaps. It fucking bothers me when people don't respect the national anthem and the flag. I used to land in Qatar occasionally and see the flag draped coffins getting unloaded from C-130's to be prepped for the flight back home for burial. Very hard to support millionaire athletes protesting after seeing those who have paid the ultimate price being sent home with that flag.

Anyway, I don't know shit, but I do know most of middle america is not down with this protest, and they are the customers. The NFL has already aggressively sided with the players, so perhaps some major demonstration of support for the troops would help the optics on this with a large segment of their customers.
    Are they? For TV they are a demographic, and for certain franchises probably the majority of the customer base.

For other franchises, not the case. The fans in the stadium at the Skins game last night were incredibly diverse. black., Middle America was there, but they were a certainly a minority of the customers.

And the boos raged loudly once the Sunday kneelers did their thing.
    salemcoog said:

whlinder said:

Swaye said:

dhdawg said:

There is a ton of disgust (a lot more than people think) with multi-millionaire athletes disrespecting the sacrifices that millions of dead soldiers made so they can play football instead of wearing a dirty pair of striped pajamas, hoping those "arbeit macht frei" signs really mean what they say. It's disrespectful plain and simple, and people don't dig that. If you want to protest, find another way, this isn't working, and you'll be lumped into the same bucket of scum as antifa in most peoples' minds.

Prediction: owners will start wising up, and the first ones to do it will be rewarded with new fans, or fans that switch loyalty from teams that continue to tolerate this rebellion. Slamming the agenda of the out of orbit left will pay dividends. The election of Trump clearly demonstrates that.

how dare members of a historically oppressed minority utilize one of the few industries they actually have institutional power to give a voice to those who don't that power. How dare they. Kaepernick may have sacrificed his own career for it, selfish prick.

you can honor the troops and their sacrifices in a number of different ways. just because you've decided that's how they should do it doesn't mean it's the only one.
    You know, maybe some middle ground could be found where the NFL starts donating seriously to PTSD causes (obvious tie in to brain health and they could use the good pub), or traumatic brain injuries from the battlefield (also obvious tie in)...something where the league and the players could demonstrate that hey, our flag shit has absolutely nothing to do with vets and we are going to go overboard to support them.

I would still disagree with their stance on this, but I get it, I am not the "normal" American anymore in the sense that I did go to war, and so I have a different viewpoint than many perhaps. It fucking bothers me when people don't respect the national anthem and the flag. I used to land in Qatar occasionally and see the flag draped coffins getting unloaded from C-130's to be prepped for the flight back home for burial. Very hard to support millionaire athletes protesting after seeing those who have paid the ultimate price being sent home with that flag.

Anyway, I don't know shit, but I do know most of middle america is not down with this protest, and they are the customers. The NFL has already aggressively sided with the players, so perhaps some major demonstration of support for the troops would help the optics on this with a large segment of their customers.
    Are they? For TV they are a demographic, and for certain franchises probably the majority of the customer base.

For other franchises, not the case. The fans in the stadium at the Skins game last night were incredibly diverse. black., Middle America was there, but they were a certainly a minority of the customers.

Booing is the classiest thing to do during the anthem.

NEsnake12 said:

My 2 cents on this:

Think of the NFL like Chris Brown or United Airlines. He beats the shit out of women and had probably the worst PR from that of any musician in recent memory... but that didn't end up hurting his record sales at all because at the end of the day, he was still putting out music that his fans liked. United had the dragging the guy of the plane PR disaster and barely took a pinch from that in the long run even though everyone was saying they'd boycott United.

It's the same shit with the NFL. At the end of the day it's still football, and the amount of people who'd legitimately stop watching it entirely just because of protests isn't enough to hurt it at all.

So I don't think the protests have anything to do with NFL ratings being slightly down. I think it has everything to do with the product becoming overly corporatized and less exciting than it once was. I think ratings spiked in the last few years because of the surging popularity of fantasy football (which brought in more casual fans as viewers), but it feels like fantasy hit it's plateau as a marketing tool. Also, college football has much more passion and excitement than the NFL, and it's showing now more than ever.

I think it is both over-saturation and diminished quality as well as the politicization of the sport. It might be different things to different people, but both of these aspects are having an impact.

I spoke to a veteran who described how many vets are beyond pissed off about the politicization. And that gave me a bit more added perspective.

People look to the NFL as an escape. But when you politicize it and water down the experience, it loses the fantasy. People will look elsewhere for their Sunday entertainment. I wouldn't have believed that a couple years ago but I believe it now.
    Perhaps the NFL owners and GMs should stop politicizing football so much then.

salemcoog said:

whlinder said:

Swaye said:

dhdawg said:

Booing is the classiest thing to do during the anthem.
    So now it's the fans that disagree with the Sunday Kneelers that are the ones disrespecting the flag and the anthem.

Got it.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,262
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    salemcoog said:

whlinder said:

Swaye said:

dhdawg said:

Noticed those... not really sure how to measure whether it was loud or not. Definitely some subset of fans were not happy about that.

Did TV show all the brothas in the stands with their fists in the air and their heads down during the anthem? Cause that happened too
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,089
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whlinder said:

salemcoog said:

whlinder said:

Swaye said:

dhdawg said:

Noticed those... not really sure how to measure whether it was loud or not. Definitely some subset of fans were not happy about that.

Did TV show all the brothas in the stands with their fists in the air and their heads down during the anthem? Cause that happened too
    I thought all the fans are white?
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

NEsnake12 said:

My 2 cents on this:

Think of the NFL like Chris Brown or United Airlines. He beats the shit out of women and had probably the worst PR from that of any musician in recent memory... but that didn't end up hurting his record sales at all because at the end of the day, he was still putting out music that his fans liked. United had the dragging the guy of the plane PR disaster and barely took a pinch from that in the long run even though everyone was saying they'd boycott United.

It's the same shit with the NFL. At the end of the day it's still football, and the amount of people who'd legitimately stop watching it entirely just because of protests isn't enough to hurt it at all.

So I don't think the protests have anything to do with NFL ratings being slightly down. I think it has everything to do with the product becoming overly corporatized and less exciting than it once was. I think ratings spiked in the last few years because of the surging popularity of fantasy football (which brought in more casual fans as viewers), but it feels like fantasy hit it's plateau as a marketing tool. Also, college football has much more passion and excitement than the NFL, and it's showing now more than ever.

I think it is both over-saturation and diminished quality as well as the politicization of the sport. It might be different things to different people, but both of these aspects are having an impact.

I spoke to a veteran who described how many vets are beyond pissed off about the politicization. And that gave me a bit more added perspective.

People look to the NFL as an escape. But when you politicize it and water down the experience, it loses the fantasy. People will look elsewhere for their Sunday entertainment. I wouldn't have believed that a couple years ago but I believe it now.

With all those billions at stake, who won't whore themselves out for whatever keeps the dollars flowing?

Most of HCH would whore-out for a drink after last call.

NEsnake12 said:

My 2 cents on this:

With all those billions at stake, who won't whore themselves out for whatever keeps the dollars flowing?

Most of HCH would whore-out for a drink after last call.
    I don't blame him.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy.