Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Cavaliers and Celtics discussing a deal involving Kyrie Irving, Isaiah Thomas, Crowder and Ante Ziz

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Apparently the deal is done

The Celtics and Cavs have reportedly engaged in "finalized" discussions regarding a trade that would send Kyrie Irving to Boston in a package that would include Isaiah Thomas and draft picks.

The teams are still fine tuning the deal, but initial reports indicate that Jae Crowder and Ante Zizic would also be included in the package that Boston would send to Cleveland in exchange for Irving. In terms of fantasy hoops, Thomas wouldn't be quite the same usage monster he was with the Celtics as a member of the Cavs, and Derrick Rose would somewhat complicate the equation, so he'd likely see a slight dip in value in Cleveland. Crowder might not even start with the Cavs, so his value would take a fairly large hit.

Comments

• GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    ha -
    First game of the NBA season: Kyrie Irving and the Celtics at Cleveland. Oct. 17.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Saw they're getting Brookly's =pick next year too. If so that's an insane for Cleveland.

Irving isn't worth all that.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Great deal for both sides
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,715
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If I was James I'd sit out the year to be fresh for the Lakers

I understand Cleveland needing to have something when he goes but that's a fucking stupid trade
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,657

If I was James I'd sit out the year to be fresh for the Lakers

I understand Cleveland needing to have something when he goes but that's a fucking stupid trade

Cleveland got fleeced. Kyrie is the shit.

• allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dnc said:

Saw they're getting Brookly's =pick next year too. If so that's an insane for Cleveland.

Irving isn't worth all that.

You're a known Kyrie hater. And that Brooklyn pick, while still good, probably doesn't have top 3 value. They have actual players now and the east is so bad they could win 25 games and be the fifth worst team in conference.
  • rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I hope u guys are being sarcastic.... No chance Boston beats them this year in playoffs. Also apparently they are trying to get DWade back with LeBron to entice him to stay. Crowder gives them someone to at least pester KD and let LeBron rest a lil on D.

I actually like the trade for both teams.

Clevelands only chance at winning the title was if the Warriors lose Draymond, Steph or Durant to injury. I think this team is still good enough to beat the Warriors with an injury. And if it doesn't work out and Lebron bolts they get a nice pick.

Boston gets one of the 5 best offensive players in the league, Kyrie finally gets a good coach and he doesn't have to carry the team which is what he hasn't proven he can do.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Cavs fleeced them. Sets them up to contend one more year and the Brooklyn pick jump starts the rebuild when LeBron and Isaiah leave after this year.

Clevelands only chance at winning the title was if the Warriors lose Draymond, Steph or Durant to injury. I think this team is still good enough to beat the Warriors with an injury. And if it doesn't work out and Lebron bolts they get a nice pick.

Boston gets one of the 5 best offensive players in the league, Kyrie finally gets a good coach and he doesn't have to carry the team which is what he hasn't proven he can do.

Known Kyrie hater? I'm a Duke fan. I've won my fantasy hoops championship two of the last three years with a team named Uncle Drew. I like Kyrie. A lot. I'd consider myself a fan. He's got my favorite handles this side of When he hit that shot in Game 7 I was legitimately happy for him even though I was bummed for the Warriors.

I don't think he's without his warts though. He's a ball dominant PG who doesn't especially make his teammates better and thinks he's too good to play defense.

He could be a great player (definitely a higher upside than IT), I'm not sure he's willing to become one though.
    dnc said:

Known Kyrie hater? I'm a Duke fan. I've won my fantasy hoops championship two of the last three years with a team named Uncle Drew. I like Kyrie. A lot. I'd consider myself a fan. He's got my favorite handles this side of When he hit that shot in Game 7 I was legitimately happy for him even though I was bummed for the Warriors.

I don't think he's without his warts though. He's a ball dominant PG who doesn't especially make his teammates better and thinks he's too good to play defense.

He could be a great player (definitely a higher upside than IT), I'm not sure he's willing to become one though.
    Duke/Warriors fan.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People forget how bad the Cavs have been anytime LeBron hasn't played.

Crowder will help a lot. The Cavs needed 3 and D swingmen to have a prayer against the Warriors.

Boston just turned over half their team this offseason. IT, Bradley, Crowder, and Olynyk.

The Cavs got way too much for Kyrie. And if it doesn't work, they will have a top 3 pick to start the rebuild.

Cavs won this trade rather easily.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Kyrie is 25 and as 2 years left on his deal... will be playing in his prime during his next max contract. IT is 28 and has 1 year left... much greater risk that he'll fall off towards the back end of his next big contract.

So it's much smarter for the Celtics to invest in a future built around Kyrie, Hayward, and Tatum than it is to build with IT as part of that core. The Brooklyn pick could turn into an amazing player, but the Celtics still own 4 other team's 1st round picks between the 2018/19 drafts... it's not like they're giving up their entire future by trading that one (albeit good) pick.

From Cavs perspective... probably the best possible return they could get for Kyrie. With LeBron likely gone after next season, they get both good talent in return and a building block for life after LeBron. IT's offensive skillset is exactly the kind that complements LeBron well, and Crowder is an upgrade over a lot of the Cavs other role players like Shumpert.

People forget how bad the Cavs have been anytime LeBron hasn't played.

Crowder will help a lot. The Cavs needed 3 and D swingmen to have a prayer against the Warriors.

Boston just turned over half their team this offseason. IT, Bradley, Crowder, and Olynyk.

The Cavs got way too much for Kyrie. And if it doesn't work, they will have a top 3 pick to start the rebuild.

Cavs won this trade rather easily.

If Brooklyn wins 0 games next season it's still not guaranteed to be a top 3 pick. Then you look at Chicago, Indiana, Atlanta and Orlando who are all terrible teams with incentive to tank. That's not even counting the west where Phoenix and LA will lose a shit ton of games. That pick could end up 6th or 7th very easily and that's a huge drop off.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dnc said:

Flagged for playing fantasy hoops.
    edited August 2017

So I was listening to an NBA podcast and had to turn it off because this doofus was talking about how Kyrie and the Brooklyn pick have the same value. Is that what you guys think? Do you know why you want high draft picks? It's so you can draft Kyrie fucking Irving. A pick where you have a chance at getting a Kyrie Irving is not worth the same as the actual player.

Boston skipped the risk that comes with the draft and skipped the 6 year development process and cashed in for a guy that's their now.

The Warriors are a great defensive team and they could not stop Kyrie. Is that draft pick going to be unstoppable against one of the best teams of all time? What are the chances of that? What are the chances you get a player that will be better than Kyrie? Well, let's take a look.

2016 NBA draft
    1. Ben Simmons- incomplete we have no clue what he is.
    2. Brandon Ingram- never going to be unstoppable against one the best teams of all time.
    3. Jaylon Brown- nope.

1. KAT- definitely could be, 4 picks in and this is the first guy we've seen play with a chance to be better than Kyrie.
    2. De'Angelo Russell- gtfo
    3. Jahlil Okafor- I said get the fuck out.

1. Andrew Wiggins- nice player but no.
    2. Jabari Parker- had a lot of injuries but no one is expecting him to be better than Kyrie at this point.
    3. Joel Embiid- ok even with the injuries I wouldn't trade Embiid for Kyrie but he still will most likely never realize his potential. I'll give a win on this one though.

1. Anthony Bennett
    2. Victor Oladipo
    3. Otto Porter
    Lol

1. Anthony Davis- ok he's better.
    2. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist- fuck no
    3. Bradley Beal- very good player but you're high if you're taking him over Kyrie.

Those are the 5 drafts since Kyrie was drafted. I'd take 3 guys right now over Kyrie out of 15. And I'm being nice and only counting top 3 picks which is not guaranteed from that pick.

They traded IT for a younger better version and avoided having to pay Thomas into his 30's and it cost them a draft pick which will most likely not be as good as Kyrie. Crowder is just a guy. This is dumb.

Sincerely,
    Tequila

I don't think the pick is as valuable as Kyrie.

I don't think IT is as valuable as Kyrie.

I think IT plus the pick would have been a great haul for Kyrie if he still wanted to be in Cleveland. For a guy who doesn't want to be in Cleveland anymore it's an amazing haul. Getting them plus Crowder plus unknown big Euro dude is a ridiculous return for Cleveland.

And your analysis is pretty good but I'd take Wiggins over Kyrie. Very good offense plus great defense > Great offense and shit defense.

And Kyrie hasn't shown that level of unstoppability against anybody else and certainly hasn't shown it when he's not playing alongside LeBron. If I thought Kyrie was as good as he's looked against GS I'd agree with you on this deal. I don't.