Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

AZDuck's Considered Opinion on Southern Monuments

13»

Comments

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,631
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I don't care much about misplaced statues of loser traitor generals, by I note we toppled the big statue of Saddam.

Were those good, brave amd wholesome American soldiers revising history?

Lee was a loser.

Cook it!!

It's all about slavery, 'tard.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sledog said:

Sledog said:

So according to this leftist logic the Egyptians should tear down the pyramids, Italians should tear down their whole country and a huge chunk of Europe and all the Mayan and Aztec stuff should go bye bye too. Right?

Get to work leftists!

None of those guys fought a war against their own country.
    All built by slaves.

But since the confederacy no longer exists does that mean slavery never happened? FYI all confederate soldiers are considered to be U.S. military veterans by law. You lefties tearing down the I would Jim and statue too?

Naturally the democrats want the confederacy, slavery the KKK, JI'm Crows etc. all erased since they were all started by and consisted of democrats!
    Slaves didn't build the Confederate monuments.

HTH
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Sledog said:

I don't care much about misplaced statues of loser traitor generals, by I note we toppled the big statue of Saddam.

Were those good, brave amd wholesome American soldiers revising history?

Lee was a loser.

Cook it!!

It's all about slavery, 'tard.
    Tell me more my oracle.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,572
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Sledog said:

So according to this leftist logic the Egyptians should tear down the pyramids, Italians should tear down their whole country and a huge chunk of Europe and all the Mayan and Aztec stuff should go bye bye too. Right?

Get to work leftists!

I was semi-joking before. But now I'm seriously asking you if you're a retard: are you a retard?

The Egyptians? Aztecs and Mayans?
    Bunch of people who got their ass whooped by whitey.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    AZDuck said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Get to work leftists!

All built by slaves.

But since the confederacy no longer exists does that mean slavery never happened? FYI all confederate soldiers are considered to be U.S. military veterans by law. You lefties tearing down the I would Jim and statue too?

Naturally the democrats want the confederacy, slavery the KKK, JI'm Crows etc. all erased since they were all started by and consisted of democrats!

One claim that's been circulating among Confederate apologists would have us believe that Congress passed a law in 1958 giving Confederate veterans status under law equal to U.S. veterans. It was even made into an easy-to-share meme for Facebook and Twitter:

But in fact, the law does not do what Confederate apologists say it does. It certainly does not "pardon" Confederate veterans, nor does it generally give them status "equal to" U.S. veterans.

The original legislation was introduced to raise pensions for widows and former widows of deceased veterans of the Spanish-American War. In committee, it was amended to include widows of deceased U.S. veterans of the Civil War and Indian War, as well as widows of Confederate veterans.

"It is my understanding that the Senator from Louisiana [Mr. Long] is the author of the amendment providing for pensions for the approximately 1,000 widows of Confederate veterans," Sen. Lyndon Johnson (D-Texas), the Senate's majority leader and presiding officer, said during floor debate over the measure, according to the Congressional Record. "The bill was unanimously reported by the Committee on Finance. There is much interest in it, and I hope the Senate will act on it unanimously."

The "Senator from Louisiana" would be Russell B. Long, at the time a pro-segregation Democrat. The Congressional Record clearly shows there was no discussion on the Senate floor of Confederate "pardons" or any general change in the status of Confederate veterans.

The section of the law that Confederate apologists seem to be misconstruing is this one:

"(e) For the purpose of this section, and section 433, the term 'veteran' includes a person who served in the military or naval forces of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War, and the term 'active, military or naval service' includes active service in such forces."
    "For the purpose of this section" is referring to Section 432 of the Veterans' Benefits Act of 1957, which set pensions for widows of U.S. veterans of the Civil War; Section 433 of that act pertains to pensions of Civil War veterans' children. There is nothing in U.S. Public Law 85-425 or the law it amends that says anything about making Confederate veterans U.S. veterans or "pardoning" them.

KOMO it, but seem to remember there was a Confederate widow drawing a pension into the 1960s or later.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited August 2017

AZDuck said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Get to work leftists!

All built by slaves.

One claim that's been circulating among Confederate apologists would have us believe that Congress passed a law in 1958 giving Confederate veterans status under law equal to U.S. veterans. It was even made into an easy-to-share meme for Facebook and Twitter:

But in fact, the law does not do what Confederate apologists say it does. It certainly does not "pardon" Confederate veterans, nor does it generally give them status "equal to" U.S. veterans.

The original legislation was introduced to raise pensions for widows and former widows of deceased veterans of the Spanish-American War. In committee, it was amended to include widows of deceased U.S. veterans of the Civil War and Indian War, as well as widows of Confederate veterans.

"It is my understanding that the Senator from Louisiana [Mr. Long] is the author of the amendment providing for pensions for the approximately 1,000 widows of Confederate veterans," Sen. Lyndon Johnson (D-Texas), the Senate's majority leader and presiding officer, said during floor debate over the measure, according to the Congressional Record. "The bill was unanimously reported by the Committee on Finance. There is much interest in it, and I hope the Senate will act on it unanimously."

The "Senator from Louisiana" would be Russell B. Long, at the time a pro-segregation Democrat. The Congressional Record clearly shows there was no discussion on the Senate floor of Confederate "pardons" or any general change in the status of Confederate veterans.

The section of the law that Confederate apologists seem to be misconstruing is this one:

"(e) For the purpose of this section, and section 433, the term 'veteran' includes a person who served in the military or naval forces of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War, and the term 'active, military or naval service' includes active service in such forces."
    "For the purpose of this section" is referring to Section 432 of the Veterans' Benefits Act of 1957, which set pensions for widows of U.S. veterans of the Civil War; Section 433 of that act pertains to pensions of Civil War veterans' children. There is nothing in U.S. Public Law 85-425 or the law it amends that says anything about making Confederate veterans U.S. veterans or "pardoning" them.

KOMO it, but seem to remember there was a Confederate widow drawing a pension into the 1960s or later.
    That was the poont. Last Confederate veteran of the Civil War died in 1955 or thereabouts. The idea was to provide a pension for their wives, who were obviously very aged in the late fifties.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

They were allowed pensions.

Their husbands were not considered US Veterans.

Some of you need to learn the difference.
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Take 'er down.

I like Generals who win; I don't like Generals who lose. They're losers and should not be celebrated.

Lee was a loser.

He (literally) picked the wrong side. If Lee has stayed loyal to the Union, it's conceivable the North could have won -rather easily-by, say, 1863 34-17?
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,631
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Get to work leftists!

All built by slaves.

HTH
    The person depicted in the monument didn't own any. Your point?
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

Sledog said:

Get to work leftists!

All built by slaves.

HTH
    The person depicted in the monument didn't own any. Your point?
    Lee owned slaves and opposed Confederate monuments.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/robert-e-lee-opposed-confederate-monuments/