Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Noa Ngalu, 2019 3* DT, Menlo Park (Menlo-Atherton), CA (COMMITTED)

Comments

• WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    LIPO. If we could add a Bandes/Ika/Jernigan and a fast strategy BUCK to this DL class I'm ecstatic. If we add Jayden Simon some white BUCK from nowhereville, I'm underwhelmed for a team that wants to be in the national championship picture.

Can anyone speak to the league he plays in? I don't think I've heard of any of these schools, so if I could be convinced he's not kicking the shit out of 11 mini Mark Zuckerbergs in these highlights that would make me feel much better. Secondly, if I could be sure he was 6'2" 280 and not 6'0" and 255 that would also help immensely.
  • WoofWoof Member Posts: 769

Woof said:

LIPO. If we could add a Bandes/Ika/Jernigan and a fast strategy BUCK to this DL class I'm ecstatic. If we add Jayden Simon some white BUCK from nowhereville, I'm underwhelmed for a team that wants to be in the national championship picture.

Can anyone speak to the league he plays in? I don't think I've heard of any of these schools, so if I could be convinced he's not kicking the shit out of 11 mini Mark Zuckerbergs in these highlights that would make me feel much better. Secondly, if I could be sure he was 6'2" 280 and not 6'0" and 255 that would also help immensely.

First of all, I never watch the opponents. It doesn't mean shit. Who is in his league means absolutely nothing and if you're watching for that, you're doing it wrong.

I agree with your second point. Part of my worry is that he's 6-0.5, 260.

I think @NorwegianHusky has it right... I felt like we were in a place to EXPECT 2 DDY3s on the DL. That can still happen, but this kid isn't that.

Would LSU/UGA/Clemson take him? I don't think so. I really like him and if he were a legit 6-2.5, 285 his film would be a lot more impressive to me.

I am waiting on senior film to make a final judgment. His high side is Greg Gaines (very similar looking player), but his floor is being an undersized DT, which we do not need in a scheme that plays two DTs. We need two big guys.

I don't think he sucks... he was just probably 5th or 6th on my list:

1. Tuitele
    2. Ika
    3. Pa'ama
    4. Jernigan
    5. Bandes
    6. Ngalu

Maybe the best way I can say it is: he's a guy Cal would love to have in their class.
    I ask about the league to gauge the level of talent a kid is playing against. If a kid is wrecking it and looks all world, but is playing in a shitty league, it doesn't actually tell you anything, good or bad. Great players can come from shitty leagues; see Rapp, Taylor.

However if Ngalu were playing in the trinity league and had this highlight tape, it would be a huge plus for him. Looking great in HS against D1 talent is a good predictor of doing well in college. That's the only reason I was curious.

• DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I like the athleticism he brings. A DL prospect that can make some descent runs and cuts as a high school RB is intriguing (i.e, Qualls and Vea). My concern is his height as opposed to his current weight. Socha will beef him up but can his frame handle the added weight?

Could he potentially be another swing guy? I don't mind taking 4 or 5 DL and converting one or two to Oline when everything sorts itself out. Nothing wrong with athletic O-linemen that can bend and move in my mind.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,702
    whuggy said:

Swaye said:

I don't like it when Coker and Dennis disagree. Aside from the awkward sexual tension it creates, I have no idea what to think. So I don't like this.

He's fine. He's a decent prospect, I think Dennis just wants more than a par, or at least that's how I feel. Compared to last year's class, we're off to kind of an underwhelming start. I don't think any of our commits are bad, but we also don't have a single elite commit yet. Last year we had 8 or 9 in the final class. That should be the minimum expectation going forward.
    Let's do this shit Tequila style! Novel time bitches:

First, I agree with what both you and Dennis are saying. I'd feel a fuck load better if there was an elite guy or two included in the mix by now. QB Sirmon (super early), Yankoff, Spiker, Ozzy, and Dom (didn't know he was elite at the time) were all guys that got in the boat relatively early. Those elite guys with Lowe, Culp, Ale, Draco, Mele, LB Sirmon, and Curne all became a really tight group through the summer and fall.

That said, of those elite guys you referenced, 5 didn't commit until the December-February stretch run. If we're being honest (which we rarely fucking do), recruiting completely stalled in October and November. We? had a great base but it looked like we? were going to fall short on the remaining elite guys and DDY was going to drive his rascal scooter into a tree.

Taki, Kaho, Gordon, Irvin, and Tuli. Those are the final 5 elite guys we? got during that stretch run, and they are all guys that none of us thought we? had a chance at based on who the competition was. Taki over ND? Kaho over Bama and USC (who didn't even speak to him on his visit)? Gordon over ND and Stanford? Irvin over USC and Bama? Tuli over USC?

In our fucking doog dreams.

Then the holidays hit and we started panicking as guys like Liu and ZTF and Tafisi jumped on. These dudes are decent but where are the elite?!

Then our dreams came true and we started dooging like we've never doog'd before. Gordon and Irvin joined because Lake is a god and they are tight and wanted to play together.

But those 3 poly's? They joined because it felt like family. All of them said it felt like home and a brotherhood.

So the point of this long-winded Teq style poast is that while my instincts tell me to panic that we? are getting good players but where are the elite? Well typically the elite don't commit until later in the process. They're getting courted by all the major fucking schools and they want to take their visits and enjoy every fucking second. And who can blame them? I'd take every visit and go to every college party and fuck every college chick I could during that time.

If our? strategy is to build class early in the process of really good players who have the chance of developing later then I'm out. But if our? strategy is to build a class early in the process of good players who are going to be a tight knit group that create a different atmosphere that those elite targets can't help but want to be a part of, then count me fucking in.

Our current class:

Morris gives us the QB that is ranked great and other recruits will like (but he's a midget which isn't ideal).
    Pa'ama can be Vea and Ngalu can be Gaines, then holy fuck.
    Luciano can be a Shelton type.
    If we? land Charbonnet to go with Davis then none of us can bitch.
    Maybe Fabiculanananananananen has what Lake saw early in Dom, and his JR tape is decent and we are like cool but not blown away and the networks bury him in their rankings but then as a SR we all say wtf how is this kid ranked so low.
    Kalepo is of course a fucking god and is recruiting all those elite guys and building this group closer together, as well as becoming a better player.

I know the elite kids from early last year are missing from this group, and that's shitty. But if one or two can be diamonds in the rough, the rest can be good players who give us? depth, and all of them create a group that those elite kids later in the process want to join because it's a "family", then this strategy has legs and us fucktards just need to LIPO.

How's that for some doog shit?
    Good poonts.

As for comparing our early commits I would add that we built our foundation in WA, OR and ID last year.
    QB Sirmon, Culp- WA
    LB Sirmon- WA connections
    Yankoff- ID
    Lowe, Bynum- OR

We barely have two guys we really want in our home state/region this year.

Spiker and Ozzy are obviously elite but they were overlooked by USC and the national recruiters in favor of Amon Ra, Devon Williams, and Jalen Hall.

That has been our sweet spot in Cali getting the kids that USC offered but put on the backburner. After our boner inducing close last year everyone increased their expectations but thus far it is TBD if we can do that again- or even better. The class thus far doesn't tell us one way or the other.

The trend is still upward though. Every class under CP has been better than the previous.
    We are not in that elite group of schools that can get top quality talent early. There are only 5 or 6 schools that have that kind of pull and we are maybe still 4 or 5 years away of high level national performance before we can even hope to join that group. Out of necessity you take really good players when you can get them and swing for the fences at the end of the recruiting cycle. It's playing out exactly as you would expect for a team recruiting in the 10-20 neighborhood. Keep winning and maybe you get closer to Georgia, Bama, OSU, USC, FSU athletes earlier in the cycle but we're not there yet.
    Honestly I don't disagree.

In fact this is my exact point from earlier on this page.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

I don't like it when Coker and Dennis disagree. Aside from the awkward sexual tension it creates, I have no idea what to think. So I don't like this.

He's fine. He's a decent prospect, I think Dennis just wants more than a par, or at least that's how I feel. Compared to last year's class, we're off to kind of an underwhelming start. I don't think any of our commits are bad, but we also don't have a single elite commit yet. Last year we had 8 or 9 in the final class. That should be the minimum expectation going forward.
    Let's do this shit Tequila style! Novel time bitches:

First, I agree with what both you and Dennis are saying. I'd feel a fuck load better if there was an elite guy or two included in the mix by now. QB Sirmon (super early), Yankoff, Spiker, Ozzy, and Dom (didn't know he was elite at the time) were all guys that got in the boat relatively early. Those elite guys with Lowe, Culp, Ale, Draco, Mele, LB Sirmon, and Curne all became a really tight group through the summer and fall.

That said, of those elite guys you referenced, 5 didn't commit until the December-February stretch run. If we're being honest (which we rarely fucking do), recruiting completely stalled in October and November. We? had a great base but it looked like we? were going to fall short on the remaining elite guys and DDY was going to drive his rascal scooter into a tree.

Taki, Kaho, Gordon, Irvin, and Tuli. Those are the final 5 elite guys we? got during that stretch run, and they are all guys that none of us thought we? had a chance at based on who the competition was. Taki over ND? Kaho over Bama and USC (who didn't even speak to him on his visit)? Gordon over ND and Stanford? Irvin over USC and Bama? Tuli over USC?

In our fucking doog dreams.

Then the holidays hit and we started panicking as guys like Liu and ZTF and Tafisi jumped on. These dudes are decent but where are the elite?!

Then our dreams came true and we started dooging like we've never doog'd before. Gordon and Irvin joined because Lake is a god and they are tight and wanted to play together.

But those 3 poly's? They joined because it felt like family. All of them said it felt like home and a brotherhood.

So the point of this long-winded Teq style poast is that while my instincts tell me to panic that we? are getting good players but where are the elite? Well typically the elite don't commit until later in the process. They're getting courted by all the major fucking schools and they want to take their visits and enjoy every fucking second. And who can blame them? I'd take every visit and go to every college party and fuck every college chick I could during that time.

If our? strategy is to build class early in the process of really good players who have the chance of developing later then I'm out. But if our? strategy is to build a class early in the process of good players who are going to be a tight knit group that create a different atmosphere that those elite targets can't help but want to be a part of, then count me fucking in.

Our current class:

Morris gives us the QB that is ranked great and other recruits will like (but he's a midget which isn't ideal).
    Pa'ama can be Vea and Ngalu can be Gaines, then holy fuck.
    Luciano can be a Shelton type.
    If we? land Charbonnet to go with Davis then none of us can bitch.
    Maybe Fabiculanananananananen has what Lake saw early in Dom, and his JR tape is decent and we are like cool but not blown away and the networks bury him in their rankings but then as a SR we all say wtf how is this kid ranked so low.
    Kalepo is of course a fucking god and is recruiting all those elite guys and building this group closer together, as well as becoming a better player.

I know the elite kids from early last year are missing from this group, and that's shitty. But if one or two can be diamonds in the rough, the rest can be good players who give us? depth, and all of them create a group that those elite kids later in the process want to join because it's a "family", then this strategy has legs and us fucktards just need to LIPO.

How's that for some doog shit?
    I always knew Teq would out one of his alt handles, I just never thought it would take this long.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,702
    AIRWOLF said:

Swaye said:

I think there are a couple things going on here.

1. This class will be a little larger than average.
    2. We showed last year we can close on elite players late against the likes of USC and Notre Dame.
    3. We haven't yet shown an ability to lock down elite out of state players early if USC et al are seriously in play.
    4. WA and OR are both lacking in elite 2019 talent.

Therefore why not employ a strategy of getting a bunch of guys committed who maybe aren't your top target at their position but would be in the top half of a very good signing class. This builds momentum and provides the staff with valuable information in order to efficiently deploy resources.

After spring you reevaluate and recalibrate and do it again for the summer/fall but being a little more selective and putting a little more pressure on those DDY3 kids you really want in the boat. Then you hopefully have a nearly full class and can put on full court pressure for the Kahos and Tulis in December-February.

Certainty has value. Its much easier to swing for the fences on Tuitele if you already have Ngalu and Paama in the boat.
    This is an exquisitely rational post.

Where the fuck am I?
    The only Husky fan forum where rationality doesn't get you banned- just made fun of.