Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Darien Chase, 2019 4* CB, Vancouver (Union), WA (Offered 4/30)

FrenchHuskyFrenchHusky Member Posts: 69
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
So I was looking at the new 247 rankings for 2019, and there was only one guy from Washington : Darien Chase
Si I went to watch his hudl highlights and the kid has really good film hudl.com/video/3/6571914/584c9b2bc124d82f94dbe209
Anyone know anything about him ?

He has hands :

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Hmmm... eeeeenteresting.
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    Can he run, though? Axing for a fren.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,158
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    FrenchHuskyFrenchHusky Member Posts: 69
  • Options
    Here's his full junior hudl: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6571914/5a0a414d4df52f115896782b

Kid is a baller. Really fast twitch. Would be a great DB for us, but could also play slot WR. I really like him as a DB, tho.
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Doesn’t look like he’s even trying and he moves really well. I like him a lot.
  • Options
    Gwad said:

not OKG

Go on...
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,973
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Looks a legit slot. I like that he may be a decent return man. If he can return punts I hope we offer
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    lubick running point on this?
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,292
    edited April 2018
    Visited yesterday

Also Wiltfong CB'd him to UW. I really like him, I would take him as an athlete and test him at WR & CB.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    how the fuck isn't this kid offered yet?
  • Options
    I think the issue with this kid is two-fold:

1) We have convinced ourselves that in-state players suck unless they are basically DDY3s.
    2) It's not really clear where he fits. He doesn't look like the kind of corners we use... he's like either a slot defender or slot receiver.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,440
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It would be huge if a kid from Union/Camas got a UW offer. First time I think.
  • Options
    Woof said:

He's like a DDY 2.8.

I know that's not really a thing, but he's a much more athletic version of Aaron Fuller and about 3 feet taller than Myles Bryant, so I'm not sure what the downside is here.

In my mind you give the in-state kids a very slight bump up on the recruiting board. By definition they're more likely to commit, so why expend 3X the energy getting essentially the same kid from California. The recruiting model should always be to use the PNW to get about a half a dozen layups, and fill the remainder of the class from other parts of the west coast. If we put together 5 straight NY6/playoff appearances, then maybe we can start being more selective and radically altering our tried and true recruiting strategy.

I basically agree with this, though I think he's a very solid 2. His frame is not that big, but I agree he's way better than Myles Bryant and Aaron Fuller.

I think we are going to end up taking 4-5 DBs this year and I could easily see him as one of those guys (or possibly a slot guy on O).

I also agree that ties have to go to in-state players.

This kid, Fabiculanan, Criddell, Asa Turner (who may end up at SAM anyway)... these are all guys I think we will do really well with.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183

I think the issue with this kid is two-fold:

1) We have convinced ourselves that in-state players suck unless they are basically DDY3s.
    2) It's not really clear where he fits. He doesn't look like the kind of corners we use... he's like either a slot defender or slot receiver.

I think he's a cornerback, and he's the same height and weight as Criddell and Chris Steele so I don't necessarily buy he's a slot cornerback. But it's also an incredibly deep year for 6'1"/6'2" cornerbacks on the West Coast. Deep to the point where every Pac-12 team is going to be dooging or quooking or cuoging about whom they get.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Woof said:

He's like a DDY 2.8.

I know that's not really a thing, but he's a much more athletic version of Aaron Fuller and about 3 feet taller than Myles Bryant, so I'm not sure what the downside is here.

In my mind you give the in-state kids a very slight bump up on the recruiting board. By definition they're more likely to commit, so why expend 3X the energy getting essentially the same kid from California. The recruiting model should always be to use the PNW to get about a half a dozen layups, and fill the remainder of the class from other parts of the west coast. If we put together 5 straight NY6/playoff appearances, then maybe we can start being more selective and radically altering our tried and true recruiting strategy.

I basically agree with this, though I think he's a very solid 2. His frame is not that big, but I agree he's way better than Myles Bryant and Aaron Fuller.

I think we are going to end up taking 4-5 DBs this year and I could easily see him as one of those guys (or possibly a slot guy on O).

I also agree that ties have to go to in-state players.

This kid, Fabiculanan, Criddell, Asa Turner (who may end up at SAM anyway)... these are all guys I think we will do really well with.
    In-state players are definitely a quandary that the staff has to figure out

You and I have similar but slightly nuanced differences of opinions here