Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

2018 Recruiting Class Update

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited April 2017
    @dnc

I think we're seeing a couple of things here (per your latest series of posts) ...

1) Whether it was Pepsi/Dennis predicting 6 4-stars or higher or my call of 8, we were looking at what our needs in the class were with what was available on the West Coast and the needs/matches didn't really match up well ... it caused us to be a bit pessimistic in general

2) We got 2 commits so far (Yankoff and Lowe) that we really didn't have any expectation of getting for a couple of reasons ... for Yankoff, we really weren't thinking 2 top end QBs were in play (whether we would take 2 QBs in this class was debatable ... Dennis may go find a 1970 Plymouth Superbird and finish the job if I mention the need for 2 QBs because of Jake Haener again ... Haener Haener Haener) ... for Lowe, the primary link was Lubick and we had just hired him on prior to making the prediction ... simply put he wasn't on the radar as being realistic and a miss on our end ... things are fluid in recruiting ... there will be ups and downs ... blah blah blah

3) The biggest variable in recruiting this year that we didn't really know what the impact would be comes in the form of how much of a bump do we get from the 2016 season with recruiting. Because of the needs/matches of the class, we didn't anticipate really getting that bump until next year and in the 2019 class. Instead, it looks like we're starting to see it in the 2018 class. There's still a long way to go and the reality is that at this point we've largely gotten the guys we expected to get in this class (outside of Yankoff and Lowe ... and there's always the potential that Sirmon could leave so in that case Yankoff/Sirmon is essentially a zero sum swap). For us to get 10+ 4-stars, that means we're going to have to have done some good work on both sides of the line ...

4) Probably the last part of the pessimism that we had for the class was that we took a "prove it" to us stance with both Huff and Malloe ... Malloe's 2017 recruiting class performance was a borderline disaster. Huff's coming over from Boise and how quickly he can get up to speed with the P12 recruiting wars is a complete unknown. There could be some room for optimism in 2018 given that USC's massive 2017 haul could make the depth chart more attractive at UW for 2018 kids. The OL targets on the West Coast this year is a concern and we'll see where we end up there ... getting on MJ Ale in the Spring period compared to waiting until really late like we did in year's past under Strausser probably puts us in a pretty good position to get him before he decides to go elsewhere. It Jaxon Kirkland wasn't a legacy recruit last year, there's a good chance that we would have lost him given how we offered late.

In your list above, what I see us taking:

1) I do think we'll ultimately take 2 QBs in this class and it will be Sirmon and Yankoff ... without trying to steal @Dennis_DeYoung caliber thunder, but in TSIO sexting conversations both Dennis and I can envision scenarios where it is harder for him to LEAVE UW and go elsewhere than it is for him to stay ... that's probably contrary to popular belief.

2) Where Lowe ultimately fits in our offense is TBD and how many guys that we take in a class will also be fluid. I'm sure we'll take one more RB ... this is an area to watch how the Spring goes as both McGrew and Pleasant have been in the reports so far for their fumbling. Remember that in 2016 Gaskin/Coleman did not have a single fumble (not lost, but fumble period).

3) Assuming that Jake Peters is 100% recovered and healthy ... which we'll see during some summer camps and probably during the first handful of games during his senior year, we'll take him. If it wasn't for the injury, we probably would have already confirmed on both ends.

4) The OL is the major question mark offensively ... as stated earlier, getting on Ale in the Spring will help us here. Securing an in-state OL will be one of the first major tests for Huff. At this point, I'm cautiously optimistic here.

5) On the DL, we're getting a lot of names up here so that's encouraging. Until Malloe closes on and gets some high end DL prospects to put their name on a LOI I'm not going to predict anything here.

6) We're not going to get Jack Lamb ... he's going to Pedo State. We will end up with 1-2 more good LBs outside of Sirmon ... we are so deep at this position right now that we should be very selective at who we take in this class at this position. If they don't fall in the category of rare and special we don't want them.

7) The DB class is going to be the last major question mark we have ... on one hand, as long as we have Jimmy Lake on staff we're going to be in great shape to get a great class. On the other, we know he's leaving sooner or later and how that gets used against us is an issue ... and we were cautious in our predictions of the talent that we'll get here as a result. I think we'll get Harrison to play S (which is a priority to me ... he's got a chance to be very special). What else we'll get is one thing ... what we hold onto is another because if Lake leaves he's likely going to be staying somewhere in the conference. What we need to look for here is how many can we get on board and secured during the new early signing day period BEFORE the potential for Lake leaving becomes a reality. Worst case scenario is that we don't get many signed on the early signing day, UCLA tanks, Mora gets fired, UCLA hires Lake, and we lose the balance of our DB class to UCLA as they follow Lake.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Jimmy Lake isn't going in-conference if/when he does leave...he's going to take over at a Boise St/Colorado St/Utah St type school when their coach move up the ladder or get fired. Which may mean we get him for a couple more years until one of those jobs open up.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Jimmy Lake isn't going in-conference if/when he does leave...he's going to take over at a Boise St/Colorado St/Utah St type school when their coach move up the ladder or get fired. Which may mean we get him for a couple more years until one of those jobs open up.

You think he's going straight to an HC gig without calling plays? I doubt that. He'll go in conference for a playcalling (REAL) DC position.
  • HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,951
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

You think he's going straight to an HC gig without calling plays? I doubt that. He'll go in conference for a playcalling (REAL) DC position.
    Yup. He'll have Peterman giving him a ringing endorsement and a hell of a track record with 3 NFL guys drafted and what should be a pretty good secondary again this year. He will get his chance straight from us, and he'll be smart enough to be selective about which one he takes.

You think if Peterman highly recommends him to replace Harsin at Boise St they won't hire him?

dnc said:

Yup. He'll have Peterman giving him a ringing endorsement and a hell of a track record with 3 NFL guys drafted and what should be a pretty good secondary again this year. He will get his chance straight from us, and he'll be smart enough to be selective about which one he takes.

You think if Peterman highly recommends him to replace Harsin at Boise St they won't hire him?
    I think they'd be stupid to do that and I think Lake would be stupid to wait around for somebody who wants to hire a guy with no coordinator experience as HC.

I think it's highly unlikely it plays out that way.

dnc said:

I think they'd be stupid to do that and I think Lake would be stupid to wait around for somebody who wants to hire a guy with no coordinator experience as HC.

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited April 2017

dnc said:

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sucking dick in Thailand
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,740
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Sucking dick in Thailand

Chinsightful.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Sucking dick in Thailand

Chinsightful.
    This is a quote from my best poast ever.