Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Determing the Hardcore Husky All Time 10 Most Favorite Rock Music Recording Artists

Comments

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    edited January 2017

Led Zeppelin
    Radiohead
    Prince
    Foo Fighters
    Bon Iver
    U2
    The Beatles
    Eagles
    Neil Diamond
    Pink Floyd

I like way too many types of "rock" (by your definition) music, "It's Hard" to pick a top 10. A lot of this stuff I don't listen to much any more but when you've been around 48+ years and love music; life experiences get associated the music you were listening to at the time...from childhood (The Beatles, Neil Diamond, Eagles, Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel), teen (Foreigner, Prince, U2, Petty, hair metal), college (Zeppelin, Doors, Cure, Smiths), old man status (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Bon Iver) etc....it burns an indelible mark on your psyche. With that said, that's a good desert island rock playlist.

HM: The Cure, Springsteen, Paul Simon (and Garfunkel), The Police, Father John Misty, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, RHCP, The Doors, The Who, Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Bowie, Neil Young, Alice In Chains, STP, Sublime, Depeche Mode, Foreigner, Journey, Boston, The Carpenters, The Smiths, Guns N Roses, Tom Petty, Weezer, Ratt, Def Lepard, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Queensryche, Queen, Bee Gees, REM, etc.

I think we all have HM lists that are a mile long, but it's a fun experiment to get a large number of people do their desert isle top 10 favorite rock bands. "Either way, it will be interesting" TM.
    Harv (RIP) and I went round and round on The Who v. Led Zeppelin back in the Pit (RIP) era.

Zeppelin had the greatest pieces together in one band.

Plant > Daltry
    Page = Townsend
    JPJ > Entwistle
    Bonham > Moon

It's close tho.
    Plant = Daltry; Daltry was a more excited performer but didn't really write any songs; I think Plant was a decent songwriter. Vocals is a tie for me.

Page = Townshend; Page better guitar player although I love Townshend style; Townshend better songwriter by a mile.

Entwistle > JPJ - Not even close here.

Bonham = Moon; Moon is my all time favorite drummer, but this is pretty much a tie.

I'd argue Zeppelin is a more "important" band in rock history, but I could have seen any of them live in the their prime (wasn't born until late 70's), I'd go with the Who every time. Actually saw the Who in 2000 at the Gorge before Entwistle died from hookers and blow. They weren't too bad for being old geezers.
    Saw them both live. Jimmy Page made Zep far superior

Watch The Song Remains the Same and imagine your ears bleeding hearing that live
    Page more virtuoso. But loudest rock concert on record was The Who. Plus i love windmills and guitar smashing.
    Saw The Who six times....

Plant>> Daltry. Vocals and composing
    Page>>>Townsend
    JPJ>>>>Entwhislte
    Moon slight edge over Bonham

I like The Who but Plant is better than Daltry. Pete Townsend is overrated. If he didn't windmill and smash his guitars he'd be JAG. Plant is a wizard and a brilliant composer.

Keith Moon was a fucking octopus and could hit the toms. he's the best drummer of all time IMO. Sorry Bonham and Neil Pert.

Bonham was a bad mother fucker too. Nobody hit the drums harder than him. He, like Moon, was a crazy fucker.

When Zeppelin used to come to Seattle they liked to stay in the Edgewater hotel. The band liked fish out their hotel room windows.

One time Bonham and Zeppelins manager, Peter Cole, had some skanks up in their room when Bonham caught a fish. After he reeled it on he looked at one of the girls who was already naked and told her to spread her legs.

"Here's a snapper for your snapper," Bonham said. When he put the fish in, the girl went wild.

Hey, hey I want to be a rockstar.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,882
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2017
    Mud shark, shark, shark. Dude look at my Avatar. I know the history of the aforementioned hotel quite well and about being able to stick your little pole out the window and actually catch something. I met this old red headed broad out sailing once who was quite the groupie back in the early 70s. Claimed to have blown Rod Stewart. Afterwards I thought she might have been the mud shark chick.
  • Options
    MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Dire straits
    The ventures
    Beatles
    Pearl Jam
    Queen
    Boston
    Rob zombie
    Apocalyptica
    System of a Down
    Disturbed
  • Options
    golddog17golddog17 Member Posts: 121
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Baseman said:

Led Zeppelin
    Radiohead
    Prince
    Foo Fighters
    Bon Iver
    U2
    The Beatles
    Eagles
    Neil Diamond
    Pink Floyd

I like way too many types of "rock" (by your definition) music, "It's Hard" to pick a top 10. A lot of this stuff I don't listen to much any more but when you've been around 48+ years and love music; life experiences get associated the music you were listening to at the time...from childhood (The Beatles, Neil Diamond, Eagles, Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel), teen (Foreigner, Prince, U2, Petty, hair metal), college (Zeppelin, Doors, Cure, Smiths), old man status (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Radiohead, Bon Iver) etc....it burns an indelible mark on your psyche. With that said, that's a good desert island rock playlist.

HM: The Cure, Springsteen, Paul Simon (and Garfunkel), The Police, Father John Misty, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, RHCP, The Doors, The Who, Rolling Stones, Nirvana, Bowie, Neil Young, Alice In Chains, STP, Sublime, Depeche Mode, Foreigner, Journey, Boston, The Carpenters, The Smiths, Guns N Roses, Tom Petty, Weezer, Ratt, Def Lepard, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, Metallica, Queensryche, Queen, Bee Gees, REM, etc.

I think we all have HM lists that are a mile long, but it's a fun experiment to get a large number of people do their desert isle top 10 favorite rock bands. "Either way, it will be interesting" TM.
    Harv (RIP) and I went round and round on The Who v. Led Zeppelin back in the Pit (RIP) era.

Plant > Daltry
    Page = Townsend
    JPJ > Entwistle
    Bonham > Moon

It's close tho.
    Plant = Daltry; Daltry was a more excited performer but didn't really write any songs; I think Plant was a decent songwriter. Vocals is a tie for me.

Page = Townshend; Page better guitar player although I love Townshend style; Townshend better songwriter by a mile.

Bonham = Moon; Moon is my all time favorite drummer, but this is pretty much a tie.

I'd argue Zeppelin is a more "important" band in rock history, but I could have seen any of them live in the their prime (wasn't born until late 70's), I'd go with the Who every time. Actually saw the Who in 2000 at the Gorge before Entwistle died from hookers and blow. They weren't too bad for being old geezers.

Watch The Song Remains the Same and imagine your ears bleeding hearing that live
    Page more virtuoso. But loudest rock concert on record was The Who. Plus i love windmills and guitar smashing.

Page>>>Townsend
    JPJ>>>>Entwhislte

I like The Who but Plant is better than Daltry. Pete Townsend is overrated. If he didn't windmill and smash his guitars he'd be JAG. Plant is a wizard and a brilliant composer.

Keith Moon was a fucking octopus and could hit the toms. he's the best drummer of all time IMO. Sorry Bonham and Neil Pert.

Bonham was a bad mother fucker too. Nobody hit the drums harder than him. He, like Moon, was a crazy fucker.

When Zeppelin used to come to Seattle they liked to stay in the Edgewater hotel. The band liked fish out their hotel room windows.

One time Bonham and Zeppelins manager, Peter Cole, had some skanks up in their room when Bonham caught a fish. After he reeled it on he looked at one of the girls who was already naked and told her to spread her legs.

"Here's a snapper for your snapper," Bonham said. When he put the fish in, the girl went wild.

If we are limited to just classic rock, you might have a case, but the best drummer of all time does not live in the rock genre.

HTH
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Baseman said:

Led Zeppelin
    Radiohead
    Prince
    Foo Fighters
    Bon Iver
    U2
    The Beatles
    Eagles
    Neil Diamond
    Pink Floyd

Plant > Daltry
    Page = Townsend
    JPJ > Entwistle
    Bonham > Moon

It's close tho.

Page>>>Townsend
    JPJ>>>>Entwhislte

If we are limited to just classic rock, you might have a case, but the best drummer of all time does not live in the rock genre.

HTH
    Buddy Rich?
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Baseman said:

Led Zeppelin
    Radiohead
    Prince
    Foo Fighters
    Bon Iver
    U2
    The Beatles
    Eagles
    Neil Diamond
    Pink Floyd

Plant > Daltry
    Page = Townsend
    JPJ > Entwistle
    Bonham > Moon

It's close tho.

Page>>>Townsend
    JPJ>>>>Entwhislte

HTH
    Buddy Rich?
    Yup.

Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, and Brian Blade would be in the top 5.
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,980
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The Offspring kicks ass live
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Baseman said:

Led Zeppelin
    Radiohead
    Prince
    Foo Fighters
    Bon Iver
    U2
    The Beatles
    Eagles
    Neil Diamond
    Pink Floyd

Plant > Daltry
    Page = Townsend
    JPJ > Entwistle
    Bonham > Moon

It's close tho.

Page>>>Townsend
    JPJ>>>>Entwhislte

HTH
    Buddy Rich?
    Yup.

I'd never heard of him until you brought him up. Checked him out on YouTube. You're spot on: he is a boss.

Thanks for the tip (seriously)
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Baseman said:

Led Zeppelin
    Radiohead
    Prince
    Foo Fighters
    Bon Iver
    U2
    The Beatles
    Eagles
    Neil Diamond
    Pink Floyd

Plant > Daltry
    Page = Townsend
    JPJ > Entwistle
    Bonham > Moon

It's close tho.

Page>>>Townsend
    JPJ>>>>Entwhislte

HTH
    Buddy Rich?
    Yup.

Travis Barker.

LOL.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
    400 Bucks in my opinion is among the best rock n roll songs ever recorded.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ3s3Cdz3cg
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Baseman said:

Led Zeppelin
    Radiohead
    Prince
    Foo Fighters
    Bon Iver
    U2
    The Beatles
    Eagles
    Neil Diamond
    Pink Floyd

Plant > Daltry
    Page = Townsend
    JPJ > Entwistle
    Bonham > Moon

It's close tho.

Page>>>Townsend
    JPJ>>>>Entwhislte

HTH
    Buddy Rich?
    Yup.

For me Moon, Bonham, and Ginger Baker are the greatest classic rock drummers of all time. I get the brilliance of Neil Peart but if only Rush could have gotten better lead singer and just let Geddy Lee play bass.

But, I think a case can be made that Buddy Rich is the greatest drummer of all time across any genres. Blakey is amazing. I am big into later stages of the 2nd Miles Quintet and thus partial to Tony Williams.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Disturbing lack of Metallica on many of these lists. This place is getting really gay.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Disturbing lack of Metallica on many of these lists. This place is getting really gay.

Swaye said:

Last I checked Metallica is actually tied for 3rd place right now. I thought given our demographic they would be about top 3 or 4 with an outside chance of winning.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,234
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Baseman said:

Led Zeppelin
    Radiohead
    Prince
    Foo Fighters
    Bon Iver
    U2
    The Beatles
    Eagles
    Neil Diamond
    Pink Floyd

Plant > Daltry
    Page = Townsend
    JPJ > Entwistle
    Bonham > Moon

It's close tho.

Page>>>Townsend
    JPJ>>>>Entwhislte

HTH
    Buddy Rich?
    Yup.

Great list. Joe Morello deserves mention as well, IMHO.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,537
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Baseman said:

Led Zeppelin
    Radiohead
    Prince
    Foo Fighters
    Bon Iver
    U2
    The Beatles
    Eagles
    Neil Diamond
    Pink Floyd

Plant > Daltry
    Page = Townsend
    JPJ > Entwistle
    Bonham > Moon

It's close tho.

Page>>>Townsend
    JPJ>>>>Entwhislte

HTH
    Buddy Rich?
    Sandy Nelson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_FZtZ6C1Lo
  • Options
    tenndawgtenndawg Member Posts: 1,161
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Doors

Stones

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Hendrix

Alice Cooper

• Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Radiohead
    Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    Neil Young
    Modest Mouse
    Tool
    Bowie
    Incubus
    Smashing Pumpkins

Back when a dual CD album cost double I had to mow a fuck ton of lawns to buy Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness.