Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

TBS Question for experts

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,059
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
Probably been discussed elsewhere but IDGAF.

Are there any super legit players who were interested in some of the more epic dumpster fires in the PAC12 that we could swoop on? I am thinking about UCLA, Tree, and Duck specifically. I know Fozzy and Tree. Any others that we might have a legit shot with since their favorite teams are steaming piles of turd?

Comments

• NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Jaelan Phillips at UCLA has already been discussed.

The problem is, with hardly any scholarships left, the coaches aren't really gonna focus their time on kids who are already committed elsewhere unless it's really obvious that they want to come to UW.

I thought 1/2 of death row is declaring
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

The problem is, with hardly any scholarships left, the coaches aren't really gonna focus their time on kids who are already committed elsewhere unless it's really obvious that they want to come to UW.

That's what everyone keeps saying.

In reality only Jones and Budda have any talk right now about being drafted high enough to leave. Even they are fringe guys as of now though.
  • KobeStanKobeStan Member Posts: 91
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Not enough time. We will take advantage of the dumpster fires in the 2018 class
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    KobeStan said:

Not enough time. We will take advantage of the dumpster fires in the 2018 class

2021 will be special!
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,894
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Because of Sark's awesome ability to recruit kids who will fight through adversity, we only have 10 graduating seniors. Every commit past 10 (we currently have 13) requires a player to LEAVE before exhausing their eligibility.

I count 4 that may leave the program without going to the NFL:

1- CB Brandon Lewis (low on depth chart, could find playing time elsewhere)
    2- S Trevor Walker (suddenly senior or grad transfer)
    3- LB Sean Constantine (medical retirement)
    4- C John Turner (will be RS-JR next year and has not sniffed playing time)

Because of Sark's awesome ability to recruit kids who will fight through adversity, we only have 10 graduating seniors. Every commit past 10 (we currently have 13) requires a player to LEAVE before exhausing their eligibility.

Pretty sure we're not at 85 scholarships right now so every current commit should be accounted for and 1 or 2 have probably agreed to greyshirt
  • HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    KobeStan said:

Pretty sure we're not at 85 scholarships right now so every current commit should be accounted for and 1 or 2 have probably agreed to greyshirt
    We're at 85 right now with only 10 seniors. Also, Jacob Kizer greyshirted and will be counted towards this class.

KobeStan said:

We're at 85 right now with only 10 seniors. Also, Jacob Kizer greyshirted and will be counted towards this class.
    You sure we're at 85?
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729

I could see Coleman transferring if he doesn't get more run. It would be FS to stay a senior season for 5 carries a game if he wants to sniff an NFL roster
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

I could see Coleman transferring if he doesn't get more run. It would be FS to stay a senior season for 5 carries a game if he wants to sniff an NFL roster
    Isn't that what Warshington just did?
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

He's getting more than 5 carries a game as a junior, why would he only get 5 a game as a senior?
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Plus, schollies are awarded on a year-to-year basis. Walk-ons are awarded open scholarships when you are below 85 for the year anyway. So ideally, Little, Carty, KJ Young (your eyes are as good as mine) should all go back to paying for their own training table. Also with the emergence of Pettis as a G2G, re-emergence of Ross, McClatcher doing some things, some young pups like Fuller/Andrea Bocelli showing promise, Chincredible biding his time before taking the Pac12 by storm, and 3 well-regarded (including 2 of the top 40) incoming WRs Lenius is good as gone. We already know he's a pussy so there's no way he's going to nut up, beat out the incumbents and dig himself out of the doghouse. I hear a lot of teams are looking for WRs with prototype size/ability, shitty work ethic and a sandy vag.
    I don't see Petersen pulling a scholly from anyone who hasn't already graduated. Thats not his style
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,059
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

While wondering what was going to happen between Petermen and Lenius, it got me thinking that if Lenius leaves, a WR who showed promise as a true frosh, had a ton of talent but didn't put in the work and got passed up and transferred...is literally one of Pete's biggest whiffs recruiting-wise. 3 recruiting classes and 2 2/3 seasons in, I look at his first class to see if the numbers back this up and I'm amazed that up and down the list are guys that are studs, guys that start, and guys that provide depth. Out of 23 kids, 20 are still in the program...one was a 4star son of a gangster rapper who played a good amount as a frosh but apparently didn't fit in at a church school. And the other 2 were Sark guys that Pete honored their scholarships (Lewis and Washington).

It's funny because 5 years ago I was told that your first class doesn't count; it's just practice. You need more time to get your guys in there And wasting the better part of a month finishing your old job was a good thing when you have less than 2 to complete a recruiting class...because the free fucking pub!11!!!1!!!11!!!!!!I!1!!!!!! would land you better recruits. Instead, you sign a bunch of dreck and literally have no idea or plan for who you are signing and how they will fit in your program. But I was told this was fine because of our old pal Owen.

So far, Pete has signed 66 guys and 63 are still with the program. I obviously understand all this tells us about his last class is they all made it into school, but it's the only way to compare apples/apples and I'm impatient. At the same point in time of Sark's tenure, he had signed 74 guys and 61 were still in the program. After less than 3 years that's a terrible retention rate and doesn't even factor in the large number of guys who were hot garbage. But that was good for Sark; it gave him the chance to bring in more shiny new toys to play with. Until he got bored of them, of course.

It's weird that you don't have to shitcan everyone when you actually develop them. Sark hoped they would just magic themselves to All Pac12.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,894
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

He's getting more than 5 carries a game as a junior, why would he only get 5 a game as a senior?
    I don't know if it would be as low as 5 but 2 RB types will be added to the depth chart next year in McGrew and Pleasant and they will probably get to play a little.

I hadn't thought of Coleman, but it would make sense for him to move on for his final year. He's shown some promise this year and he could go somewhere like San Jose State and be the #1 back.
  • AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    Founders Club
    If you can play, the NFL will find you. He runs for 800 yds next year as Gaskin's backup, he's drafted. Sjsu line sucks. Ask Coop. He'd take a ton of risk leaving to end up in the same place.