Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sounders FC Update

2»

Comments

• Options
    tdawgtdawg Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    God, I hate soccer, really?? This is worthy of posting?
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    tdawg said:

What part of Mello's Bistro do you not understand?

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

tdawg said:

Speaking of which, TierbsHsotBoobs... What are you doing in here?
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,095
    tdawg said:

Welcome and thanks for reading. I'm in discussions with management to get a podcast on this site pertaining to the beautiful game. Your thoughts?
  • Options
    Global said:

MelloDawg said:

Roth, Hannauer and others swear that money won't be a factor in terms of pursuing the MLS Cup, whatever that ends up meaning. As much as guys like Rosales have helped, this philosophy of young Central-American players doesn't get the job done for me.

Agree about the young Central American players. They are fairly talented usually, and cheaper than their European counterparts or even most South American counterparts. If they have been in Central America, it is typically the minor leagues of the Hispanic futbol world. Getting a transfer to a better paying S. American club or to the US, is a good step for them, or even better for them, to a decent European club.

But if money truly was not a factor, the Sounders would not be buying from here, but from the better clubs of S America or Europe. They get bargains and diamonds in the rough with their strategy, but it is financially driven.

But the old NASL went bankrupt by diving too heavily into expensive European talent pools. As a young guy, I worked for a while with the old NASL Sounders. As you doubtless know, the Cosmos were the LA Galaxy of that era, with expensive guys like Pele, Beckenbauer, Chinaglia, Alberto, etc.
    That is clearly not a good economic model without much better stadium attendance and BIG TV contracts.

So I wonder how the Galaxy do what they do? The economics of their team is something Seattle needs to understand. Can it be emulated?
    And while I don't know a great deal about the NASL model, I do know there are a better series of economic checks and balances with the MLS to avoid such a collapse. I do think the Soudners have the roster to get it done in 2013, but the problem of finding an appropriate pairing with Montero still remains. Management loves the guy because of his high ceiling, but he's so streaky.
  • Options

tdawg said:

Speaking of which, TierbsHsotBoobs... What are you doing in here?
    Haters gonna hate.
  • Options
    GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    MelloDawg said:

And while I don't know a great deal about the NASL model, I do know there are a better series of economic checks and balances with the MLS to avoid such a collapse. I do think the Soudners have the roster to get it done in 2013, but the problem of finding an appropriate pairing with Montero still remains. Management loves the guy because of his high ceiling, but he's so streaky.

Yes, with Montero, either we need to find a dependable counterpart to him, or trade him. But games also are won typically in midfield, and we need quality throughout. As you noted at the start, we lose a key defender, and need to shore up things there.

But with LA able to field Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan at forward, and Beckham providing service, or the equivalent after Beckham is gone, Seattle has to find quality to match.

LA gets $4-5million a year in sponsorship from Herbalife. Seattle needs to find the right kind of financial mix to keep up. The Sounders have been profitable, and need to step up the quality.

• Options
    BirdfluBirdflu Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    The MLS should stop signing aging player from Europe and focus on more younger player from Europe or America. Soccer is a better game when play by players between the age of 18-28.
  • Options
    Global said:

MelloDawg said:

Yes, with Montero, either we need to find a dependable counterpart to him, or trade him. But games also are won typically in midfield, and we need quality throughout. As you noted at the start, we lose a key defender, and need to shore up things there.

But with LA able to field Robbie Keane and Landon Donovan at forward, and Beckham providing service, or the equivalent after Beckham is gone, Seattle has to find quality to match.

LA gets $4-5million a year in sponsorship from Herbalife. Seattle needs to find the right kind of financial mix to keep up. The Sounders have been profitable, and need to step up the quality.

But isn't there still a cap under which to operate, or does sponshorship money also count as extra allocation funds? The XboX partnership expires after 2013 and there's little chance it's renewed. The sense is that Sounders FC has an international presence these days and is known enough to garner interest from larger brands.
  • Options
    Birdflu said:

The MLS should stop signing aging player from Europe and focus on more younger player from Europe or America. Soccer is a better game when play by players doused in gasoline and set ablaze.

• Options
    GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    MelloDawg said:

But isn't there still a cap under which to operate, or does sponshorship money also count as extra allocation funds? The XboX partnership expires after 2013 and there's little chance it's renewed. The sense is that Sounders FC has an international presence these days and is known enough to garner interest from larger brands.

Yes, the Sounders are in a far better place to get sponsors now than when they were a start-up club. They are a good attendance draw now, and have performed well. I agree with you that they should be able to improve their position.

My understanding is that there are some MLS wide sponsorship allocations, and some freedom for the clubs to do their own. The MLS is still very collectivist in the sense that they want to be sure that the clubs in lucrative markets like LA, NY and Chicago can't just outspend those in less lucrative markets. I have not looked into it in detail though. But my understanding is the same as yours that there is a cap, and some limited freedom on top of that.
  • Options
    Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    edited December 2012
    MelloDawg said:

While I can take credit for the idea, I give all credit to DJ for the creation of this board.

Sounders set to sign Honduran midfielder Wilmer Crisanto in January, btw. Great acquisition...or greatest acquisition?

MelloDawg said:

While I can take credit for the idea, I give all credit to DJ for the creation of this board.

Sounders set to sign Honduran midfielder Wilmer Crisanto in January, btw. Great acquisition...or greatest acquisition?

Really? How quickly they forget...........
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    It's a must win for the Sounders this weekend.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,460
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    FieldTurf cancer thread.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Birdflu said:

The MLS should stop signing aging player from Europe and focus on more younger player from Europe or America. Soccer is a better game when play by players between the age of 18-28.

Anyway we can get birdflu back? We need a real xs and os poster
  • Options
    MelloDawg said:

Global said:

MelloDawg said:

MellodoogFs
  • Options

MelloDawg said:

Global said:

MelloDawg said:

MellodoogFs
    I just pass on what I'm hearing. Sometimes it's interesting but sometimes it's also interesting.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

tdawg said:

Welcome and thanks for reading. I'm in discussions with management to get a podcast on this site pertaining to the beautiful game. Your thoughts?
    You have me contemplating if I even want to post here anymore.
  • Options
    That's 3 points!