Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Defensive Scheme Against Arizona: 2-5-4

ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
edited September 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
We finally have 3 dominant D lineman to actually run an effective 3-4 scheme and we move to some bullshit 2-5-4 with only 2 down D lineman. They're asking Psalm and Joe Mathis, guys who give up about 50 pounds to an offensive lineman and guys who have never been able to play the run effectively (especially Mathis... such shit in the run game despite coming in as a highly rated interior D lineman from high school), to take on Arizona's offensive line one on one, shed blocks and make plays on the edge. Those two idiots can't really make plays in space when their unblocked. Qualls, Vea, and Gaines are good enough to keep contain and provide a pass rush without having to dial up a ton of blitzes. Make Dawkins actually throw from the pocket rather than allow him to scramble and STOP THE FUCKING RUN.

We normally see the cute schemes from the offensive side of the ball....

Comments

• whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    So this. Coach K is an excellent coach but had a terrible
    scheme this game.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,701
    What percentage of plays did we run in this formation?

I recall the big 3 playing at the same time often including on the first drive of the game where they marched right down the field.

Another issue to consider is how many snaps can a 330 lb DT play effectively against a HUNH offense?
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I recall the big 3 playing at the same time often including on the first drive of the game where they marched right down the field.

Another issue to consider is how many snaps can a 330 lb DT play effectively against a HUNH offense?

Yea I would be curious to see this as well. I remember 3 linemen for the most part when I watched.

Yea I would be curious to see this as well. I remember 3 linemen for the most part when I watched.
    Full disclosure i didn't see part of the game. The part I did
    see was the old playing the corners soft against a QB with
    a high school arm. For fuck's sake we have NFL corners and
    you're playing them scared? Again I'm a Kwiatkowski fan
    but he had those boys playing on their heels last night.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    The first half, our defense was shit. We had a much better game plan the second half. Most of Arizona's yards the second half were on broken plays. Like the one where Vita had Dawkins in his arms but then decided to grab the ball instead of tackle.

In the forth quarter, we needed to contain Dawkins better. We should have had a spy on him all game, which we didn't.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I was at the game and pretty drunk. But my reckoning is it was 2-down more than 50% of game. Way more probably. At least twice they inverted with psama and Mathis down inside and qualls/virta standup
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ASU is going to boat race them unless the scheme gets fixed.
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I was drunk (still am( but I remember Mathis actually playing pretty well...

Wooching is absolutely terrible, I cant tell if he is just really unatheltic, a pussy, or a fucking retard but if there is a run play called to his side he always either jumps way outside of the play to look like he is setting the edge and keeping contain but voluntarily takes himself out of the play because he just lets the blocker ride him way outside or he dives at the feet of the pulling OL or FB so he doesnt get hit hard and act as a speed bump or if he is zone coverage he does fuck all and runs backwards away from the play trying to get to "his" zone even though its clearly a run play.

BBK, Joyner, Rapeyes, constantine, or Cort Dennison would be an improvement over wooching.
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,982
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Wooching is a soft Hawai'ian (I like to include the apostrophe, it's what I like to do #whiteguilt) player with a LOT of fucking Sark in him. He can't hold up at the point of attack, he can't rush the passer, he gets overly excited by tackling a guy 6 yards downfield for no fucking reason. The definitive Wooching play to me was last season when he made some alright tackle then stood up and did the throat slash and earned the team a 15 yarder, keeping the other team in the game. Jesus fuck you fire twirling noobdick.

A very frustrating case of mismanaged personnel on the field. It's scary either way:

1) Pete and company think he's the best at the position and so they start him because he gives them the best opportunity to win.

2) Wooching actually *is* the best at the position and we just fucking suck at recruiting to it.
    Houhusky said:

Wooching is absolutely terrible, I cant tell if he is just really unatheltic, a pussy, or a fucking retard but if there is a run play called to his side he always either jumps way outside of the play to look like he is setting the edge and keeping contain but voluntarily takes himself out of the play because he just lets the blocker ride him way outside or he dives at the feet of the pulling OL or FB so he doesnt get hit hard and act as a speed bump or if he is zone coverage he does fuck all and runs backwards away from the play trying to get to "his" zone even though its clearly a run play.

BBK, Joyner, Rapeyes, constantine, or Cort Dennison would be an improvement over wooching.

I don't get the whole Buck thing. Just seems like a "cute" little
    way of saying we don't have enough defensive ends or outside linebackers good enough
    to just play a normal fucking 4-3. Keep it simple, stop making defenders think so much
    and let the talent do its' thing.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The LBs were atrocious that game. Easily the worst game Victor and Bierria have had here. Arizona knew Psalm was a weakness and ran his side all game. Mathis was decent at best, but that's because he did well in the 2nd half after sucking in the first.
  • IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I gotta go back and watch, but I recall seeing the big 3 hogs out there a lot together. And Mathis and Wooching probably played their best games of the year.

The 3 big plays by Dawkins were on the entire D, not just those two. (see Vea and Baker on that cluster fuck pass defense in the 4th)

And the good news is our D is a much better match up vs. Stanford's style of play.
  • section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

A clear case of abundance. He sucks.
  • ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    We ran the 2-5-4 most of the first half and a lot again in the second half. We switched out of it in the red zone and then saw more 3 down lineman sets in the second half but it was done throughout the game. It's a formation we trotted out a bit last year when we played spread teams with mobile QB's.