Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Someone explain this to me...

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
I don't follow this closely enough so I am probably wrong, but it seems like Peterman really did a great job recruiting when we were unranked pieces of shit the last couple of years. Now he has all this national hype and a number 9 ranking (it's bullshit but whatever) and it seems like he is trending to lose more top in state guys than ever, and can't recruit an impact OL to save his life. Not sure about the rest of the class but it doesn't seem to have as much hype as the last two classes.

Am I correct that this class is trending worse than the last two? If I am correct, how? I always remember everyone at doogman telling me all those years ago that all Ty and Sark needed was a top 10 ranking and they would recruit like gangbusters. Fuck.

Comments

• Options
    Founders Club
    Pulling a huge loser maneuver and responding to this early. Just went to doogfarm to check Ektards rankings. Per that, Pete is looking decent, great DB recruiting (like always thanks Lake), great DT, good WR/TE and ATH spread, and then craptastic QB/OL recruiting. In state results look good now but will look like crap if we get Bryant and keep Wedington, but will look like shit if we lose either of them and Sarell, Ahmed, and Bainavulva go elsewhere.

Anyway this is too much bullshit. Class still doesn't seem as good as when we had no hype and no ranking. WTF?
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

Pulling a huge loser maneuver and responding to this early. Just went to doogfarm to check Ektards rankings. Per that, Pete is looking decent, great DB recruiting (like always thanks Lake), great DT, good WR/TE and ATH spread, and then craptastic QB/OL recruiting. In state results look good now but will look like crap if we get Bryant and keep Wedington, but will look like shit if we lose either of them and Sarell, Ahmed, and Bainavulva go elsewhere.

Anyway this is too much bullshit. Class still doesn't seem as good as when we had no hype and no ranking. WTF?

A few thoughts

1. UW has had a top 10 ranking for like two weeks, not sure it's reasonable to expect massive impact from that already.

2. Peterman does not give a fuck about recruiting rankings, so even in the unlikely event UW is in the top 10 all year and finishes in the top 10, I'm not sure it will make a huge difference at UW like it would have under, say, Sark, who wanted all the highly rated guys he could get.

3. Recruiting lag theory says the 2015 season has a bigger impact on Feb 2017 class than 2016 season. Assuming that theory holds true (and it seems fairly accurate) the REAL impact of this season (whatever that might be) won't be felt until the next recruiting class.

Tl; dr: LIPO
    FREE PUB
  • Options
    Founders Club
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

A few thoughts

1. UW has had a top 10 ranking for like two weeks, not sure it's reasonable to expect massive impact from that already.

2. Peterman does not give a fuck about recruiting rankings, so even in the unlikely event UW is in the top 10 all year and finishes in the top 10, I'm not sure it will make a huge difference at UW like it would have under, say, Sark, who wanted all the highly rated guys he could get.

3. Recruiting lag theory says the 2015 season has a bigger impact on Feb 2017 class than 2016 season. Assuming that theory holds true (and it seems fairly accurate) the REAL impact of this season (whatever that might be) won't be felt until the next recruiting class.

Lag theory. Now I know, and the more you know, the gayer you are. (gay winkie face)

Any thoughts on why we can't seem to find a QB since Brownsocks, and why we haven't recruited any OL? Could be as simple as Smiff and Strausser suck ass?
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2016
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

A few thoughts

Pete may not give a fuck about rankings, but to Swaye's point he surely gives a fuck about Foster Sarrell - hence the heli ride to his high school game. We are struggling to get decent OL verbals this year, and right now it looks like Foster is headed to 'furd.

Obviously there is some overlap between the rankings and the guys that Pete wants - Budda, Austin Murphy, Foster, etc. But clearly the rankings don't drive his thinking like it probably did with sark.
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,986
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Recruiting Lag Theory?

Waiting for @StephenHawkingDAWG to weigh in here.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Thread timer is at almost 2 1/2 hours. TSIO crew are all fired.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I'm in the LIPO camp. For ex, Vera-Tucker (OL from Oakland). I think he eventually signs with UW. If he wanted to take visits, why not commit to SC? Awesome "safety," and as the dumpster fire plays out, he can take trips and eventually flip to UW with Nips/Camilo/Kevin King whispering in his ear.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Passion said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

A few thoughts

Pete may not give a fuck about rankings, but to Swaye's point he surely gives a fuck about Foster Sarrell - hence the heli ride to his high school game. We are struggling to get decent OL verbals this year, and right now it looks like Foster is headed to 'furd.

Obviously there is some overlap between the rankings and the guys that Pete wants - Budda, Austin Murphy, Foster, etc. But clearly the rankings don't drive his thinking like it probably did with sark.
    Obviously. That's why I said "I'm not sure it will make a huge difference" rather than "it won't make any difference".

Obviously success on the field will make it easier to get the kids that Peterson wants. Since some of those kids are highly rated it means UW will have more highly rated classes. I'm not denying that. I'm just saying it won't make as big of an impact as we might see with other coaches.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Per Scout, Washington currently has commits from 2 of the top 100 players (Tuipulotu (DL) and TE Hunter Bryant) They also have 3 more in the top 300 (Weddington, McKinney and Taylor) Ngata, currently a 3-star OLD got an Army All-American Invite and word is he could get a 4th star. Peterman can say stars don't matter. Theres always exceptions, Stan Empterman, Victor, Sidney Jones, Ossai etc. but championship teams have high star averages (and better fucking coaches too) guys like Budda Baker, John Ross, Qualls, Gaskins, Lindquist

Where UW sucks:
    OL: Foster goes to Stanford. Two other, probably more, highly ranked targets (forgot their fucking names) spurned UW. The in-state Samoan kid hasn't committed. The longer he shops, the poorer UW's chances. Last year the top players committed elsewhere, others drug their feet. Peterman doesn't wait around hoping for a hail mary on signing day. Last year he offered Nick Harris who committed immediatly. I like Harris. Tough. Better than advertised But at 6'1 270 - probably closer to 6'0 260. he's not championship (Pac-12 or Playoff) material now, is he.

QB: Numerous high profile kids have told US to fuck off and went elsewhere. UW pass happy and current ranking should should attract better than the 56th (Haener) and 84th (Bridge-Gadd) ranked QB's. Doogs say Qb's are afraid to come here and sit behind Browning. Bullshit. If Eason came to UW he'd take over for Browning somewhere in the second half of the Stanford game and never look back.

And so it goes.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2016
    Baseman said:

Where UW sucks:
    OL: Foster goes to Stanford. Two other, probably more, highly ranked targets (forgot their fucking names) spurned UW. The in-state Samoan kid hasn't committed. The longer he shops, the poorer UW's chances. Last year the top players committed elsewhere, others drug their feet. Peterman doesn't wait around hoping for a hail mary on signing day. Last year he offered Nick Harris who committed immediatly. I like Harris. Tough. Better than advertised But at 6'1 270 - probably closer to 6'0 260. he's not championship (Pac-12 or Playoff) material now, is he.

If we had a Bush Hamden or Jimmy Lake or Ikaike Malloe-like recruiter handling our O-line, I'd feel much better.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,814
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Eason isn't starting ahead of Browning by the Stanford game ... that's insanely FS
  • Options
    Founders Club
    NEsnake12 said:

The concerns over O-line recruiting are legit, it's fucking dreck. But freaking out over QB recruiting is a little unnecessary.

Jacob Eason was never going to come here. He had a direct path to the starter job at UGA, where the only other real QB on the roster is a mediocre RS Senior in Greyson Lambert who is a worse QB than Jake Browning. Worst case scenario he's the backup or redshirting for 1 season and then is the starter. There's 0 reason for Eason to come into UW's situation where his spot on the depth chart would be so uncertain. A QB like Bridge-Gadd, who is athletic and a natural playmaker but at the same time is a long-term developmental project, made sense for the '16 class. He doesn't have a problem with riding the bench for 3 years with Browning and KJCS ahead of him, and in that time learning how to be an actual QB. Obviously not as college ready or good overall as Eason, but he can maybe? grow into something.

Now for this year's class, it's once again really hard to convince a high profile QB to come play here when we no only still have a lot of Browning left, but we also have a legit 5* QB commit for the 2018 class in Jacob Sirmon. Not many kids like the idea of sandwiching themselves between 2 QBs like Browning and Sirmon. Jack Sears was the only QB we were after who was actually good enough to probably beat out Sirmon for the post-Browning starting gig, but the entire west coast whiffed on him and he went to Duke of all places.

So would signing better QBs than Bridge-Gadd and Haener have been nice? Absolutely. But is it understandable why the high profile guys told us to fuck off? Yeah.

What happens when Stanford offers Sirmon and he tells Pete to pack it in his ass?
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,801
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

NEsnake12 said:

The concerns over O-line recruiting are legit, it's fucking dreck. But freaking out over QB recruiting is a little unnecessary.

Jacob Eason was never going to come here. He had a direct path to the starter job at UGA, where the only other real QB on the roster is a mediocre RS Senior in Greyson Lambert who is a worse QB than Jake Browning. Worst case scenario he's the backup or redshirting for 1 season and then is the starter. There's 0 reason for Eason to come into UW's situation where his spot on the depth chart would be so uncertain. A QB like Bridge-Gadd, who is athletic and a natural playmaker but at the same time is a long-term developmental project, made sense for the '16 class. He doesn't have a problem with riding the bench for 3 years with Browning and KJCS ahead of him, and in that time learning how to be an actual QB. Obviously not as college ready or good overall as Eason, but he can maybe? grow into something.

Now for this year's class, it's once again really hard to convince a high profile QB to come play here when we no only still have a lot of Browning left, but we also have a legit 5* QB commit for the 2018 class in Jacob Sirmon. Not many kids like the idea of sandwiching themselves between 2 QBs like Browning and Sirmon. Jack Sears was the only QB we were after who was actually good enough to probably beat out Sirmon for the post-Browning starting gig, but the entire west coast whiffed on him and he went to Duke of all places.

So would signing better QBs than Bridge-Gadd and Haener have been nice? Absolutely. But is it understandable why the high profile guys told us to fuck off? Yeah.

What happens when Stanford offers Sirmon and he tells Pete to pack it in his ass?
    I think it's safe to say that he's as close to a lock as it gets. His dad teaches at UW, his family has numerous ties to the school and the area, etc.
  • Options
    Founders Club

First, I would like to apologize to @Swaye for my absence, I had a very important meeting at McDonalds this morning. Came out of it with a 76 cent profit, so WINNING!

Anyways, the 2017 class is looking really good. The thing that holds it back is and will be OL recruiting. I think they will get Henry Bainivalu from Skyline, but they have no chance on Foster and we lost AVT. If I was Petersen, Strausser should be fired at end of the year.

Then you have QB, UW was in a pretty tough spot here, with Jake Browning already in the boat, and Jacob Sirmon already committed for 2018. So I'll kinda sorta let that slide since Sirmon is in the boat and will almost assuredly be an early enrollee.

As far as everything else in recruiting.... FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC.

We hired Hamdan and he immediately has produced results. Ty Jones is, imo, one of the top WR's on the west coast, forget what he is ranked. He is a complete stud and personally I would rank him ahead of Bynum (Who is also really good). Alex Cook is also a very good player, that is three great WR recruits we are bringing in, all of them with different skill sets and they compliment each other. With Browning and then Sirmon coming in, that is very exciting. And I didn't even mention Hunter Bryant who is pretty similar to the type of player we see Daniels being right now at TE, but he is just a much more natural receiver.

Marlon Tuipolututuuutu will continue the reign of terror we are developing on the DL. He is fantastic. Ariel Ngata is built for the BUCK position, really quick and will carry 240, and he won't have to play til he's a RS Soph most likely. Keith Taylor looks like a Marcus Peters clone to me on tape, that's obviously good. Brandon McKinney, beauty.

Connor Wedington looks to have taken a step to me. I initially liked him, but more as a safety prospect, seeing his senior tape already I think he can actually be a really solid RB.

In short, it's a really good class, and I think it's going to get better. I expect Ahmed to commit to UW on Friday (Even though he is NEVER, EVER, EVER coming here, he hates us so much). I also expect Isaiah Palo-Mao to commit to UW in the next month or so and he is just an absolute monster. So with Ahmed, Palo-Mao, and Bainivalu in the fold that is 9 4 star players (and I expect Ty Jones to get a 4th star, and maybe Ngata as well). We'll probably also get some random highly rated guy that we have no idea about right now as well.

Anyways, that's it. Back to McDonald's I go.

It appears I know nothing about recruiting and should shut my fucking cock holster. Well, I knew OL recruiting sucked but @GrandpaSankey could have seen that one. Thank you for your service.