Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Who deserves the most credit for the Mariners’ early success?

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Edgar's supplier.

The name of his restaurant is Edgar's Cantina, not Edgar's Supplier.
  • Options
    Founders Club

DiPoto for putting together a decent roster.

Other than Seager, Cruz and Cano, the entire lineup was remade. Smith and Guti were around last year too, and Marte was developing, but basically 3 opening day starters are all that returned from last season. The 1B, DH, and outfield platoons are also more thoughtfully deployed to maximize R vs L match ups. Instead of a few good hitters surrounded by dreck, the entire lineup is producing at a reasonable level. And they actually play defense.

The rotation is mostly the same, but Miley and Karns have outperformed expectations and their predecessors as back end starters. Despite blowing a few saves already, Cishek is better than Rodney, and the bullpen overall is one of the best in the league (after losing some of the top guys from a year before).

It's weird to say this about a Mariners team, but the starting rotation is the biggest weakness.

That's a very thoughtful breakdown, but I would say that in time Cishek and the leadoff spot will prove to be the biggest weaknesses.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Other than Seager, Cruz and Cano, the entire lineup was remade. Smith and Guti were around last year too, and Marte was developing, but basically 3 opening day starters are all that returned from last season. The 1B, DH, and outfield platoons are also more thoughtfully deployed to maximize R vs L match ups. Instead of a few good hitters surrounded by dreck, the entire lineup is producing at a reasonable level. And they actually play defense.

The rotation is mostly the same, but Miley and Karns have outperformed expectations and their predecessors as back end starters. Despite blowing a few saves already, Cishek is better than Rodney, and the bullpen overall is one of the best in the league (after losing some of the top guys from a year before).

It's weird to say this about a Mariners team, but the starting rotation is the biggest weakness.

That's a very thoughtful breakdown, but I would say that in time Cishek and the leadoff spot will prove to be the biggest weaknesses.
    Could be the case. Martin and Marte have had a breakout start to the season, and could be due for a big regression.

I think Cishek will be fine.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Aoki will probably need to be replaced, and they could use another back end starter for when someone inevitably gets hurt.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dipoto replacing Jack Z is probably the biggest reason, but Cano is right at the top. I haven't watched a pitch all season, but I know that if Cano was hitting .250 with 1 HR like he was last year, this team would be .500 at best. The Mariners can't afford for him to suck.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Could be the case. Martin and Marte have had a breakout start to the season, and could be due for a big regression.

I don't think he throws hard enough and he's always trying to nibble on the outside. I don't see alpha male when he's on the mound.
  • Options

I don't think he throws hard enough and he's always trying to nibble on the outside. I don't see alpha male when he's on the mound.
    I get that, but Trevor Hoffman didn't throw hard either. As long as guys swing and miss, it doesn't matter what the gun says.

Cishek's side arm delivery is tough on opponents, especially righties. He doesn't throw hard, but he gets a lot of movement, and you can tell batters are uneasy in the box facing him.

A few blown saves suck, but every closer blows a few games. It's how they respond that counts. Obviously I'd prefer a guy that threw 100 and scared the shit out of opponents with his breaking ball, but Cishek is doing fine. I agree on the nibbling, but that can be corrected with proper coaching.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I get that, but Trevor Hoffman didn't throw hard either. As long as guys swing and miss, it doesn't matter what the gun says.

Cishek's side arm delivery is tough on opponents, especially righties. He doesn't throw hard, but he gets a lot of movement, and you can tell batters are uneasy in the box facing him.

A few blown saves suck, but every closer blows a few games. It's how they respond that counts. Obviously I'd prefer a guy that threw 100 and scared the shit out of opponents with his breaking ball, but Cishek is doing fine. I agree on the nibbling, but that can be corrected with proper coaching.
    For the record, I felt that way even before the recently blown saves
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,493
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Founders Club
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mariners world series champs 2016
  • Options

I was skeptical to start the season as well. But the same could be said for Marte, Martin, Lee, Miley, Karns, Iannetta, etc. Shit even Lind has found his swing recently.

Point is, a lot of moves have worked out so far. Cishek being less than perfect falls into the "worked out" category, for now. If he goes mental and blows 3-4 more games, then he sucks.

Closer is an overrated position in baseball anyways.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I was skeptical to start the season as well. But the same could be said for Marte, Martin, Lee, Miley, Karns, Iannetta, etc. Shit even Lind has found his swing recently.

Point is, a lot of moves have worked out so far. Cishek being less than perfect falls into the "worked out" category, for now. If he goes mental and blows 3-4 more games, then he sucks.

If you've got a superb closer, it puts much more pressure on the other team in the 6th, 7th and 8th innings to score or else they know they're probably done for.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

Closer is overrated, but when the Red Sox listened to Bill James and tried to do a closer by committee it didn't work.

The bullpen is always iffy. The Mariners in 2014 had a great pen. Most of the same guys in 2015 sucked. This year they are pretty good again.
  • Options

Closer is overrated, but when the Red Sox listened to Bill James and tried to do a closer by committee it didn't work.

The bullpen is always iffy. The Mariners in 2014 had a great pen. Most of the same guys in 2015 sucked. This year they are pretty good again.
    You definitely need to pick a guy for the job. Committee approach is dumb.

But the final 3 outs get so much more emphasis than the first 24, which is also dumb.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365

Are you saying the metrics didn't mean shit?