Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tequilla's Golf Road Trip

Comments

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Derek bury this thread

If not interested, don't pay attention. Not difficult. If people are interested in talking golf and golf courses, what's it to you?
    Whoosh
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited June 2016
    2001400ex said:

I generally think you are a douche and your posts are tl, dr FS. But I am curious what courses you are planning on playing. I've wanted to go a trip like that for years.

I've played:
    7 Bandon dunes TEQ: Plan on getting down to play all 4 Bandon courses at some point in near future

26 Chambers Bay TEQ: Have played 2x and will play 2x more when I get home (promo that they recently were running) ... one of the more difficult courses that I've played ... I personally don't think it is unfair but it is demanding and punishing if you get out of line

39 Torrey Pines TEQ: Not sure when I'll get down to play there
    41 Wolf Creek (the coolest course I've played) TEQ: Agree that the sight lines are amazing ... probably my 2nd favorite course that I've so far played in that regards (Kapalua Plantation ... Chambers is right up there as well) ... very fair course that once you know the sightlines and misses makes it reasonable to score well on if you can execute your shots
    67 Pumpkin Ridge TEQ: I absolutely love the design of the course and in particular the greens ... agree that it's unfortunate that the course is overly moist that makes it really a mid-July to mid-September course if you want good/great conditions

88 Coeur d'Alene Resort TEQ: Overall, the course is nothing special to me and it gets a ton of mileage out of the island green, the boat ride, and the participation certificate you get for completing the hole ... I'd only call the par 3 5th and 6th and the 4 hole stretch from 11-14 are the only holes that I'd call memorable ... the rest are rather forgettable and I played it last August ... definitely isn't worth the price that they charge for it

94 Old Works
    96 Circling Raven TEQ: Another course where I really enjoy the design and green complex ... One other thing I really appreciated was that the course felt isolated from not only other players but civilization in general ... great feeling when trying to get away and unwind

There are a couple I'm surprised aren't on there. Washington National. Gold Mountain Olympic course. Journey at Pechanga.

TEQ: I don't know where Gold Mountain Olympic ranks on the list for consideration but it has every hole you could possibly want on a course and I definitely can only think of one or two holes that I'd call vanilla and somewhat forgettable. The design of Washington National has high end potential but Oki hasn't put the kind of money into it to support it at the high end level.

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

US courses I'm planning on playing on this trip ('15-'16/'13-'14 rankings)

25/26 - Chambers Bay
    33/28 - Pronghorn
    41/37 - Wolf Creek
    46/53 - Cascata
    58/41 - Paa Ko Ridge
    91/NA - Dancing Rabbit (Azalea)
    NA/NA - Dancing Rabbit (Oaks) - sounds likely it may make future lists
    NA/NA - Capitol Hill (Judge/Legislator) - Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail
    NA/NA - Fighting Joe/Schoolmaster - Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail
    61/72 - Grand Traverse Resort & Spa (Bear)
    13/13 - Arcadia Bluffs
    48/45 - Tullymore
    23/23 - Forest Dunes
    NA/95 - Elk Ridge
    NA/69 - Black Lake
    NA/73 - Boyne Highlands (Heather)
    65/84 - Bay Harbor
    70/77 - Bull at Pinehurst Farms
    85/NA - Golf Courses of Lawsonia (Links) - may play other course there if I have time
    8/10 - Erin Hills
    42/46 - Harvester Golf Club
    77/NA - Wild Horse Golf (Nebraska)
    94/NA - Old Works
    97/96 - Circling Raven

Canada courses:

Tower Ranch
    Talking Rock
    Tobiano
    Whistler Golf Club
    Chateau Whistler
    Nicklaus North
    Big Sky

If you are going to play pronghorn, hit crosswater while you are there. I had a couple opportunities to play Paa Ko but never made it, wish I would have. A lot of those are East coast and I've never heard of them. While in Nebraska, you need to find the time to play the Prairie club outside of Valentine. 36 holes, check it out. Here's another course while working from Nebraska to Montana, Bully Pulpit in Medora, by the ND Badlands. I've been there but never played it and I thought it was on the top 100.
    Prairie Club is definitely on the to play list but going to wait to play with some friends ... same strategy as I had with Whistling Straits and the 4 total courses in that complex

Bully Pulpit was on a prior iteration of the trip schedule but got moved out with some time constraints - will play when eventually playing Prairie
    Tequilla said:

Prairie Club is definitely on the to play list but going to wait to play with some friends ... same strategy as I had with Whistling Straits and the 4 total courses in that complex

Bully Pulpit was on a prior iteration of the trip schedule but got moved out with some time constraints - will play when eventually playing Prairie

Whistling straights is definitely on my list. What's the list look like now of courses you've played?

I would definitely make a So Cal trip too. Hit Torrey Pines (course isn't actually that good, just great scenery, it's like taking the Cascade course of gold mountain, putting it on a cliff over the ocean, adding deep bunkers by the greens and about 1,000 yards.) But journey at Pechanga I think should be in the top 50 easy. Then PGA west and a few others.
    So far on the trip I've played Chambers, Pronghorn, Wolf Creek, and Cascata. Will play Paa Ko today. Then onto Texas for a wedding this weekend.

My sense on many of the California courses is that they are more hype than not and you definitely pay out of the ass for them during the Summer

Tequilla said:

So far on the trip I've played Chambers, Pronghorn, Wolf Creek, and Cascata. Will play Paa Ko today. Then onto Texas for a wedding this weekend.

My sense on many of the California courses is that they are more hype than not and you definitely pay out of the ass for them during the Summer

You probably don't have time, but Twin Warriors just north of ABQ is an awesome course. Been there but haven't played it. I played Sandia which is cool too.

Agree on So Cal courses, especially Torrey Pines. However they are memorable still. Look up Pechanga, they'll be one of the coolest courses you've played (golf digest can suck it).
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

Jefferson Park
    Jackson
    West Seattle

Man of the people

Greenlake pitch n putt, bruh.
    Perhaps for shits and giggles one day this summer I'll go play Jefferson with a 7 iron and putter see what I shoot ...

Any over/under thoughts on the number?
  • section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Whistler courses are okay, Chateau Whistler is great fun, Nickalus North is pretty flat but tough putting, I thought the Whistler GC was meh. Have never lost more balls in a single round ever than I did on Big Sky.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Tequilla said:

Perhaps for shits and giggles one day this summer I'll go play Jefferson with a 7 iron and putter see what I shoot ...

Any over/under thoughts on the number?

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    @Tequilla

Serious question. How much will this trip cost? I have never played much golf (poor and I prefer cocaine to looking for lost balls) but I do know golf is a pretty pricey deal. Aren't some top courses like a grand a round? Anyway, to go play like 25 high end courses I would assume it would cost a mint. No?
    I'm old rich and white Swaye ... the most expensive courses on the top 100 list run about $500 - I'm not playing anything like that - most expensive course is likely Erin Hills

On average if you assume $100 a day for golf and $100 per night for lodging you probably get close. There are some nights where I'm staying with friends/family, days I'm not playing, and a lot of my stuff at Whistler is being covered by my friends. You can also cut down the price a little bit by bundling room/golf together at a lot of these places - which I'm doing.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,711
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Golfgreen Golf Center RIP @WhiskeyDawg
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Tequilla said:

I'm old rich and white Swaye ... the most expensive courses on the top 100 list run about $500 - I'm not playing anything like that - most expensive course is likely Erin Hills

On average if you assume $100 a day for golf and $100 per night for lodging you probably get close. There are some nights where I'm staying with friends/family, days I'm not playing, and a lot of my stuff at Whistler is being covered by my friends. You can also cut down the price a little bit by bundling room/golf together at a lot of these places - which I'm doing.

You should spend most of your time around the UO. It's now a golfing school.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

100 bucks a day is a lot less than I thought golf cost. I played whacked at balls and got shitfaced a few times in the military (Squadron would knock off early on a Friday and go out to the course or whatever) and even on base at military courses it was around 35 bucks a round (and this was a decade or more ago) so I figured at a serious course with no huge discounts it would be a few hundreds bucks. Good info.